BANGKOK
Jingthing

Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

34 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Both countries are crime ridden pits and Belize is expensive, unless you want to live out in the jungle

For Honduras, I specifically mentioned Roatan, which is one of the Honduran Bay Islands. For Belize, it would be Ambergris Caye, again, an island off the coast of Belize.  Both of these places are hardly crime-ridden pits, and have a large expatriate population.

Unlike Thailand, both welcome retirees with minimal hassle for visas, permanent residence, citizenship and land ownership.

Cost of living is comparable to Phuket.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I always wonder about the quality and quantity of roads in Latin America. Thailand is pretty well served in that area, if you like getting out and exploring by car, motorbike or bike. Personally, I would need to be out exploring a lot in my retirement rather than sitting around. Hence, that rules out many beautiful islands for me too as very soon I would know every inch of them.

Edited by dastott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dastott said:

I always wonder about the quality and quantity of roads in Latin America. Thailand is pretty well served in that area, if you like getting out and exploring by car, motorbike or bike. Personally, I would need to be out exploring a lot in my retirement rather than sitting around. Hence, that rules out many beautiful islands for me too as very soon I would know every inch of them.

important for me is that infrastructure supports scooters,

so i wont have to walk far

There is sex available in Malta, I was there a few months back in Sliema and got ‘accosted’ twice by Russian prostitutes !

Incidentally prostitution was rife in Malta years ago when the British Armed forces had a base there before Mintoff threw them out.

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

yeah Latin America ...  !   In Brazil you will most likely be robbed or shot during your first couple of nights out ....  :drunk:

I've spent a fair bit of time in Brazil, and SA, never been robbed, mugged, stabbed or bashed. Am I doing something wrong?

Dr. Dave:  I spent six years visiting (living) in all of CA and most of SA, finally settling in Roatan.  I built a house on the beach near French Harbor (in my name) and really enjoyed it in the beginning.  There were plenty of available young women who only asked for something to drink and eat, and the locals and expats were friendly.  Security became a problem when three of my neighbors (expats) were killed, my maid and security guards robbed my house, and the police kept extorting money from me wherever I went.  It was a wonderful adventure if you ignore those negatives, but it all just became too much for me. You see, the criminals all take the ferry over from the mainland, do their thing, and then return on the ferry.  If you want to live in Roatan then my advice would be to live in West Bay, which is quite expensive now, but heavily guarded.  After three years there, I sat in the Yacht Club one day and asked a few of my trusted, well-travelled buddies where they would live that was safe, reasonable COL, and plenty of available young women.  Can you guess the answer (starts with a T)?
"Can you guess the answer (starts with a T)?"

Some people can't see the forest for the trees

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

no, citizenship & national health care holds more candle

than all the oil fried bugs in thailand put together.

i'm only here cause my body dont allow that far travel as of yet, and i know JT is waiting on recover most of the money he spent on his condo before he can finally leave

sorry you have to be somewhere you don't want to be... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

I've spent a fair bit of time in Brazil, and SA, never been robbed, mugged, stabbed or bashed. Am I doing something wrong?

The question might be when... I was never robbed there either but it was many years ago that I last visited... it seems to be getting exponentially worse by the year according to friends... 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cost of living varies by specific nation and specific locality within those nations, and also how willing you are to go local. We can get into many of those specifics on this topic.

You can make generalities though. Chile which is now officially a first world country in general is going to considerably more expensive than Ecuador. In Central America, Panama especially in Panama City is going to be considerably more expensive than Nicaragua. Just an example there because Nicaragua is not an advisable place to move in the near future because of political issues.

I have 10 years of experience in Panama. While Panama City or anywhere near the old Canal Zone, English can be heard. It is not that widely used in the country. Outside of Panama City, it is very hard to find anyone who speaks English. Panama can be relatively cheap depending on your needs. If you enjoy quick service. Panama is not for you. People move at a very leisurely pace to the point it becomes very aggravating. Panama uses the USD. So the exchange rate is not an issue. Rent in the city can be pretty expensive. Moving out to the country or up into the mountains as a lot of expats have done. Seems to be the norm. 

Panama can be enjoyable to visit, but it gets old pretty fast. The weather is pretty much like Thailand. So if you like that, then it will suit you. 

One thing more. I think the food in Panama absolutely SUCKS! Never found anything that I really enjoyed. Probably ate more pizza there than anywhere. Got very tired of Latina music too. But that is just a personal issue. I traveled to El Salvadore and Honduras. Really don't recommend them. Though I had good times in both countries.  

Edited by Longcut
  • Like 2

best locations are argentina, uruguay, paraguay, chile all with a long european migration history

wbr

roobaa01

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

I am approaching 79 years of age, my Thai Wife and I take our joy with our children, we don't need Thai killer boat rides, nor do we ride crazy bikes, please someone with an ounce of sense, tell me why we need to lock away B800,000 into a bank account. Don't the Thai HISO skim enough money from every airport, freeway, or other con they dream up get enough money to have to pick on quiet living farangs?

thats rather off topic, is there any place in central/south america you want to know more about ?

what nationality are you ?

my conclusion is, citizenship/permanent residency comes before everything else,

followed by national health care.

once those requirements are fulfilled, i think next requirement is functional electric at all times

Edited by brokenbone

Couple posters are talking about sex and latin america aint for them. Well they have clearly not been with any latinis and probably have to either payfor it or are just plain weirdos or peadophiles. I was attracted to asians at one point. Its pathetic to admit but its true. You get enough of anything though and you get over it. same same.. And id like to add that ive never paid for it.

Thats my somewhat irrelevant 2cents worth of thoughts no one asked for..

Off the subject Belize they speak English cheap to live and easy threw Mexico to go to America less hassle there