Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

16 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

By the way. When it comes to tourist visa runs from one Central American country to another,  you cannot simply land cross or fly to an adjacent country.   They all formed a pack and share via a computer system where you have been.  If in a Central American country for 90 days, you have to leave Central America for at least 3 days, where South America or North America.  

That's interesting info. I did not know that so thank you. The idea of living long term on visa runs is not appealing but it can definitely be useful for more temporary stays and to check out possible countries to move to long term.

Last I heard there are still some South American nations where you can play the visa run game but others restrict the total number of days you can live there in a year without a more permanent visa. Again, obviously, Latin America is not a monolith. Different countries, different rules. 

Captain Jack's possible issue with an under one year "retirement" extension stay in Thailand has given me an idea. 

To avoid the issues of the Thailand police report being needed, what about refreshing the passport? 

Then you could show a stamp or two in the target Latin American nation and you would look golden. 

But I don't know if this is safe.

Would perhaps a home country police report indicate a long foreign residence?

What if for some reason they ask for your tax forms? (In my case they have a Thai address.)

What about computer records? Isn't your travel history on some kind of centralized computer? I know the U.S. immigration people know it. 

Then you might slip up in an interview especially if you've lived in Thailand a long time. There is usually some kind of interview. In some cases it's not a real interview but more a review of documents, but … still. 

So what have you been up to the last twenty years?

Oh, watching torrents in my Uncle's basement. Not in Thailand though!

So if you made an application without mentioning a long residence in Thailand, it would be fraud. No problem if they don't catch it. Obviously you're screwed if they do.

Edited by Jingthing

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Possibly. You present an interesting case with that. As you're out of Thailand already I suppose the best idea is to apply without the Thailand document and hope for the best. Then if they push it back then you can help us find out if/how you can get the proper document (with apostille and translated) when you are no longer in Thailand for the specific nation you will be applying to.

I'm hoping over time (years even) we can gather multiple current reports from people that have lived in Thailand and are moving to the specific Latin American nations. 

By the way, as an insight into my strategy,  I will stay in Mexico for a month or more on a tourist Visa,  bank a lot of my pension money back into savings and get myself a better buffer.  There is some method to my madness.  Lol.

1 minute ago, CaptainJack said:

By the way, as an insight into my strategy,  I will stay in Mexico for a month or more on a tourist Visa,  bank a lot of my pension money back into savings and get myself a better buffer.  There is some method to my madness.  Lol.

Don't answer if it's too personal, but if you choose Mexico do you plan on applying for the pension method or the show money in the USA method (one year or lifetime option)? 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't answer if it's too personal, but if you choose Mexico do you plan on applying for the pension method or the show money in the USA method (one year or lifetime option)? 

No worries.  I'll do the retirement pension program.  I'm too old to dump money in an investment property and want to keep as many options open as possible. I have no problem with monthly income. 

Edited by CaptainJack
Better wording.

I don't want to "rain on the parade" nor be a "party pooper", but it seems to me that to qualify for PR in most SA countries is "cumbersome". An understatement.

- For EU citizens and Brits there are Caribbean-Islands where they can just "walk-in".
- For US passport holders the US Virgin Islands plus Puerto Rico (not Costa Rico) would also be a "walk-in".

The US Virgin Islands may have the same cost of living like the US, but probably not so in Puerto Rico.
Unless I missed it, Puerto Rico has not been mentioned yet in this thread.
------------
Has Cuba some sort of PR program??? Unlike Puerto Rico, US citizens may not be welcome there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

No worries.  I'll do the retirement pension program.  I'm too old to dump money in an investment property and want to keep as many options open as possible. 

Good for you that you can meet Mexico's pension level requirements. Most Americans only on social security can't. The show money in the U.S. method does not require any investment in Mexico or even banked money in Mexico. You just have to show 95,000 in the USA, could be in a bank, could be in a brokerage. The question I have is if they will accept money in an IRA for that? I really want to know the answer to that one. Such applications if accepted get you legal permanent residence. 

There was a member here a while back that reported that when you go for your interview (in the U.S.) for Mexico and you apply for permanent residence (showing about 95,000) they can decide to tell you, sorry, for now we're only going to give you the one year stay (based on showing about 25,000). 

I'm assuming it would be helpful to show recent travel in Mexico in the target destination. They probably are shy to grant something "permanent" if they judge that it's a high chance the person really won't stay very long. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, swissie said:

I don't want to "rain on the parade" nor be a "party pooper", but it seems to me that to qualify for PR in most SA countries is "cumbersome". An understatement.

- For EU citizens and Brits there are Caribbean-Islands where they can just "walk-in".
- For US passport holders the US Virgin Islands plus Puerto Rico (not Costa Rico) would also be a "walk-in".

The US Virgin Islands may have the same cost of living like the US, but probably not so in Puerto Rico.
Unless I missed it, Puerto Rico has not been mentioned yet in this thread.
------------
Has Cuba some sort of PR program??? Unlike Puerto Rico, US citizens may not be welcome there.

Yes, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are expensive and treated badly by the U.S. government. I did look into Puerto Rico and it just didn't sound very attractive as a retirement destination. 

I'm under the impression that many people do retire in Cuba but as an American I don't think that would be legal so I haven't looked into that myself. Also, what I do know about it, I wouldn't be interested anyway. 
Dominican Republic is fairly popular and they do have visa options. Last time I looked into it I didn't qualify which didn't bug me much as I've been there and was not thrilled with the place. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

Captain Jack's possible issue with an under one year "retirement" extension stay in Thailand has given me an idea. 

To avoid the issues of the Thailand police report being needed, what about refreshing the passport? 

Then you could show a stamp or two in the target Latin American nation and you would look golden. 

But I don't know if this is safe.

Would perhaps a home country police report indicate a long foreign residence?

What if for some reason they ask for your tax forms? (In my case they have a Thai address.)

What if you spend 6 months in Thailand, stretching TR, that's  what I do.

6 months is easy, so far, just 2 TR.

With more than  2 back to back TR in your passpirt, in order to stretch your stay to 7 months, has become tricky. Even just 2 SETV stickers are red light to regional embassies, 30 days visa waiver stamps should really be avoided due to unique way IOs at DMK operate, ask me how I know!

After 5 months break from the region seems to reset IO computers, returning from overseas after 5 months IO has never raised questions in BKK nor DMK 

Then chose your home for another 6 months, this can be in the region, no need for Latin American adventure. 

Reading all I can, there are no good places for permanent residence in South America, not in Latin America. There are countries where you won't be robbed on day 1, but not comparable to SE Asia's best places.

Unless you crave the authentic Mexixan food, in Mexico. Is it worth to move your life there? 

Sell condo, then rent  6 months in Thailand, it is laughably cheap, as you well know. Owning condo here is only an anchor on your neck, get rid of it (I suspect you already have). That way you are ready to catch first flight out of here when things become serious, and they will, you know it!

Have no ties to Thailand.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

With more than  2 back to back TR in your passpirt, in order to stretch your stay to 7 months, has become tricky. Even just 2 SETV stickers are red light to regional embassies, 30 days visa waiver stamps should really be avoided due to unique way IOs at DMK operate, ask me how I know!

After 5 months break from the region seems to reset IO computers, returning from overseas after 5 months IO has never raised questions in BKK nor DMK 

Then chose your home for another 6 months, this can be in the region, no need for Latin American adventure. 

Reading all I can, there are no good places for permanent residence in South America, not in Latin America. There are countries where you won't be robbed on day 1, but not comparable to SE Asia's best places.

Unless you crave the authentic Mexixan food, in Mexico. Is it worth to move your life there? 

Sell condo, then rent  6 months in Thailand, it is laughably cheap, as you well know. Owning condo here is only an anchor on your neck, get rid of it (I suspect you already have). That way you are ready to catch first flight out of here when things become serious, and they will, you know it!

No, sadly I still have my albatross. I mean condo.

Sorry, but this thread is really not about Thai visa tactics.

This is for people that are considering fully exiting from Thailand and moving instead to a nation in Latin America.

If you feel so negatively about the entirety of Latin America, then Latin America is not for you, and neither is this thread.

I will add though if a nation in Asean offered a permanent residence possibility based on retirement (as a number of Latin American nations do) that I could qualify for, I would be seriously interested. But there are none like that. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

No, sadly I still have my albatross. I mean condo.

Sorry, but this thread is really not about Thai visa tactics.

This is for people that are considering fully exiting from Thailand and moving instead to a nation in Latin America.

If you feel so negatively about the entirety of Latin America, then Latin America is not for you, and neither is this thread.

Apologies!

I typically don't reference non official websites,  but regarding the discussion about retirement in Mexico, this is a good reference. 

Also, just as with Thailand, different consulates use different rules.  Can't get away from the old "which IO or office does what" stuff. Yuck. Nobody follows the rules as set out it seems.  I suspect the USA is the same.

https://www.expatsinmexico.com/mexico-immigration/

8 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

All good points.  I am in process of considering all possibilities.  

7 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I typically don't reference non official websites,  but regarding the discussion about retirement in Mexico, this is a good reference. 

Also, just as with Thailand, different consulates use different rules.  Can't get away from the old "which IO or office does what" stuff. Yuck. Nobody follows the rules as set out it seems.  I suspect the USA is the same.

https://www.expatsinmexico.com/mexico-immigration/

Seems like an OK link but there is nothing in there current and specific about a RETIREMENT application. You would do a retirement application or something else?

Actually I really need to know the answer on whether they accept showing money in an IRA for the retirement based show money in the USA method. I can't qualify based on pension and if they don't accept the money being in an IRA I still might be able to do it but I may not. So if money in an IRA isn't allowed Mexico would fall quite a bit on my list (which isn't very big to begin with). 

That's one "advantage" that I have. Because of financial requirements, there aren't very many nations that I can actually qualify for. So I limit my focus to those. Fortunately I'm also interested in living in most of those places that are open to me. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Banana7 said:

Cuba is popular for Canadians, who can stay up to 6 mo. on a visit. If you get married, you can probably stay permanently. Many friends stay in Cuba for the winter. Lots of casa particulars can be rented on long-term basis for as little as 300CUC per month. Food and rum is cheap, maybe even cheaper than Thailand. Companions are readily available, short-time, long-time, or for a relationship. Lots of relationships with the parties having a 25-40 year age difference.

Cuba is nice, much nicer than neighbouring Carrabian major resort Islands. Local people have  not yet grown to dislike us, at least not openly hate Westerners. Cubans seem super friendly.

This is probably due to having much less  mass tourism from West than rest of Carrabian. Tsunami of  USA touristm is yet to hit.

But after 2 (short)  visits I found Cuba strangely boring, maybe didn't meet right locals, Havana had no vibe, no energy. Varadero is mass tourism  beach resort like any other.

Havana waterfront promenade after hours is fun, happy locals hanging out, and really friendly.

But it felt  couldnt last there 6 months, very possible didn't find the right places, right people.

I doubt it is possible to move to Cuba permanently, even if you wanted, but great place to spend some time.

• Like 1

I loved the time I spent in Argentina.

I had previously rejected them based on both their visa rules and my perception that the place is a political/financial roller coaster. 

I posted a New York consulate link here that makes no sense to me. How can you possibly officialize pension checks when you're paid by electronic deposit?

Also it's hard to believe the current financial requirements are 50 USD monthly. The last I heard the lowest was Nicaragua at about 600 USD per month. Previously their requirements were over what I could meet. I want to know the real current number. If anybody finds out please post. Also the issue with requiring checks when there are no checks and I'm sure others as well. When I looked at the place before there were a lot of immigration horror stories. A lawyer was generally needed. It's possible that has majorly changed their system since then for retirement of course, but I don't understand it. Perhaps someone motivated towards Argentina can go deep with it and report back. 

Another thing. Argentina is a great country for wine. Colombia which is on the top of my current list is a great country for beer and coffee. I prefer wine but I like coffee too. Well, you can't always get everything you want. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ulic said:

A second thought for the truly adventurous, Venezuela. I have never been, but, investors know, the time to step in and invest is when there is blood on the streets (so to speak). For those who speak Spanish, and are adventurous, and not looking to move immediately, you maybe should check things out. Venezuela should be under consideration. Three million people have left the country (many permanently) leaving lots of accommodation available, some of which should be appropriate. The country, and women are beautiful. Things will in most likelihood be changing for the better soon. When the Asian financial crisis hit there were those adventurous souls who changed their UK pounds at 70-1 during the time of uncertainty. Poms now would cash in their nest eggs and transfer everything to Thailand if the baht dropped back to 60-1. Venezuela could be the same. Beautiful country, beautiful beaches, beautiful women, great cuisine. Even now you can certainly afford to live there like a king with income in foreign currency. It just may be a little too volatile. The time may not be now, but soon, when things settle down a bit, Venezuela may be a great choice for those who speak Spanish and have balls of steel. I remember shortly after the Falklands war you could buy a lovely condo or house in Argentina for 10k USD. Similar opportunities could be available in Venezuela. Just a thought.

When Buffett coined the term buy while there is blood in the streets he was talking about stocks. ???? The trouble is there are probably people dim enough to listen to this atrociously bad advice.

14 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

When Buffett coined the term buy while there is blood in the streets he was talking about stocks. ???? The trouble is there are probably people dim enough to listen to this atrociously bad advice.

It wasn't Buffett. I think the phrase was termed by Nathan Rothschild during the Napoleonic Wars ... it's a phrase that's been around a few centuries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

It wasn't Buffett. I think the phrase was termed by Nathan Rothschild during the Napoleonic Wars ... it's a phrase that's been around a few centuries.

Okay I stand corrected Buffett brought it back into vogue. Anyway moving to Venezuela where there is literally blood in the streets is a pretty bad idea. Rothschild also never said to move to where there is blood in the streets.

Edited by Cryingdick

Has anyone spent time in Arequipa Peru? On paper aside from the too high altitude and geographical isolation it sounds like a potentially excellent retirement expat destination. Smaller big city. Relatively safe. Cheap taxis. Modern shopping malls. Beautiful dramatic desert volcanic mountain scenery. Apartments in walking distance of the wonderfully picturesque central area under 500 dollars. Mild year round weather. Sunny. Maybe too sunny. Fantastic regional Peruvian food. A distinctive local culture. I've been to Lima but don't consider that a top choice unless you can afford to live in Miraflores in which case it could be if you're a foodie.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/5/2019 at 11:08 PM, Jingthing said:

Information is needed for Peru on exactly how you get an acceptable police record from Thailand in time apostle and translated. A number of Latin American countries will require similar but how to get it in Thailand may vary. For example perhaps in some cases you can work with Latin American nations Bangkok embassy. These issues can potentially be very difficult or even deal breakers.

Indeed. Peru requires documents from the coutry where you reside. Now do I reside in Thailand? Yes and no. My retirement visa is a "non resident" visa. Legally I am not a resident here. That's already a bad start. Would the Peruvian embassy in Bangkok play game or send me packing? Could be an uphill struggle.

Indeed. Peru requires documents from the coutry where you reside. Now do I reside in Thailand? Yes and no. My retirement visa is a "non resident" visa. Legally I am not a resident here. That's already a bad start. Would the Peruvian embassy in Bangkok play game or send me packing? Could be an uphill struggle.

I really don't know exactly how it's done. I reckon the situation will be somewhat different for each target nation. But that is one of main purposes of this topic. Gathering reports over time of what works and what doesn't work for the different countries that do require the reports from Thailand. I can say when they are required in Latin America almost definitely they will need an apostle and official translation. A major pain of course but the good news is this requirement will be only one time.