BANGKOK
Jingthing

Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

On 11/1/2019 at 7:37 PM, Jingthing said:

In case it's not obvious yes I feel very sad about this sudden change regarding Colombia. But such things are beyond anyone's (aside from Colombian legislators) control.

Hi JT

That is understandable as it was your 1st choice for potential relocation. A shame.

Maybe the proposals will be watered down.

I know you look at the medellinguru site.

Have you seen the recent comment by Jeff on there?

"There are some proposed visa changes. But these are just proposals and I have heard from reliable sources that it’s unlikely there will be many changes. We are monitoring this and will keep all our visa articles up-to-date. We will update all our visa articles in late 2019 or early 2020 with any changes."

https://medellinguru.com/colombian-visa/#comment-25888

Best of Luck

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, seasia said:

Hi JT

That is understandable as it was your 1st choice for potential relocation. A shame.

Maybe the proposals will be watered down.

I know you look at the medellinguru site.

Have you seen the recent comment by Jeff on there?

"There are some proposed visa changes. But these are just proposals and I have heard from reliable sources that it’s unlikely there will be many changes. We are monitoring this and will keep all our visa articles up-to-date. We will update all our visa articles in late 2019 or early 2020 with any changes."

https://medellinguru.com/colombian-visa/#comment-25888

Best of Luck

You beat me to it. Yes I have become aware of that and am still holding on to hope that the proposal won't be adopted. 

However even if not then there would still be visa risk. 

The first one is good for 3 years. Then after that another 3 years. After that permanent residence. So even getting in on the first 3 years there is the risk of not being qualified for the later steps IF the old levels aren't grandfathered. 

Worth the risk? Maybe. But definitely a don't buy anything situation. 

• Like 2

Let's see:
- Ecuador is in in turmoil (civil unrest).
- Chile is in turmoil (civil unrest).
- Bolivia is in turmoil (civil unrest).
- Argentina has gone bankrupt (once more).
- Uruguay (on the verge of civil unrest). Stay tuned. (The former "Switzerland" of South-America!) - Paraguay. Still a 4th world country.
- Columbia. Unresolved past issues concering "the Guerillas". The problem likely to re-emerge with a vengeance.
- Mexico: 2 Governements in place. The one in Mexico-City and the other one that controls the rest of the country.
- Venezuela: Ground-Floor opportunities if you arrive with suitcases packed with US$. (Real-Estate bargains plentyful).
- Dutch and French Guinea: = European territory.
- Central America ( Honduras, Guatemala, Panama etc, ect). = Dancing on a political/sociological Vulcano in the past, at present and in the future. A fine example of "failed-states".
- The carribean islands. With the exception of Haiti, firmly in the hands of well-capitalised Farangs. No place for anyone relying on some meager monthly "pension-money" from back home.
Considering all this, I myself  would find little reason to re-locate to any of the above mentioned countries.

Especially not, as Thai legislation concerning Long-Term Residency is still quite "liberal and benevolent" in comparison  to most SA Countries.
PS: The Palm Trees of Thailand look the same as the Palm Trees in Costa-Rica. But more affordable in Thailand. I insist.

--------------------
Not wanting to appear as a "party-pooper", but this is a good time to realise that the days when desease-free Immigrants arriving at Eliss-Island were unburocratically welcomed in the US (same Canada, Australia and just about any other country of the world) are definitely a thing of the past.
These days, one must fulfill certain "requirements", no matter where one wants to Emmigrate to.
"Requirements" can be translated into "How deep are your pockets, how fat is your wallet"?
Let's face it!
Cheers.    

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

8 Months you have been thinking about it .

Just face it, you aint going anywhere otherwise you would have gone by now

If you say so.

I don't respond to such troll posts as I've already posted multiple times explaining the reasons for my interest in considering a Plan B in Latin America. 

So do you have any interest in the topic or are you just posting to heckle? 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Well no, since you started this thread, I have already emigrated twice and am thinking about emigrating once again .

If you were going to go anywhere , you would have already gone 

Now fully confirmed by you that you have no interest in this topic.

Why people with no interest in the topic feel compelled to post on it is quite strange. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Now fully confirmed by you that you have no interest in this topic.

Why people with no interest in the topic feel compelled to post on it is quite strange. 

I may emigrate to South America next  , I've already emigrated to Vietnam/Asia and England\Europe since this thread began 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I may emigrate to South America next  , I've already emigrated to Vietnam/Asia and England\Europe since this thread began 

OK. Good. Then I misunderstood you. I thought you just said you're not interested in Latin America. I wouldn't call such short stays emigrating though. 

So which specific Latin American countries interest you and what's your interest in moving there? Another short stay or something else?

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Jinghthing,

I was being light heartedf but in my travels thru' South America my impression was that the middle-class Spanish speaking inhabitants would eat -in terms of culture and education-the average "Farang" living in Thailand for breakfast.

Let's face it-most of them are blue collar industrialised serfs,obsessed with purchaseable sex and cheap food and housing.

Chile,for example,has an extremely robust culture which would eviscerate the average American fom Alabama,the Brit from Manchester or the Aussie from Blacktown-leaving them no alternative but to stick with SE Asia,which is sick of them anyway.

I am glad to see that there is another expat here in Thailand who feels the same way. For a really BIG sample of those type of expats your speaking of...earlier this year i was in KUTA, Bali. Oh my god... the Ozzie Bogans there reminded me why my 10 pound Pom days were over after just 2 years in Sydney and I setup home in California in 1974. Lucky me.

I lived in Mexico before Thailand and yes, generally speaking Mexicans have culture and class and have opinions about the world around them. Not just Mexico..but the world! Try having that sort of conversation with an average Thai!!

However just because Thai people are generally not Wordly doesn't mean they have to be treated with disrespect and put up with terrible farang behaviour. These low class farang here are a big factor with Thailand Immigration and local Thai´s being very, very wary of ALL expats. Yes. Thailand is probably sick of expats now.

Edited by Bournville
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:54 PM, Jingthing said:

You can laugh!

I can cry!

COLOMBIA is in the process of potential major visa changes that for me would ELIMINATE Colombia as a possibility for me. 

I guess I can rationalize my disappointment by saying I would have hated living in a bland food country anyway!

To wit --

Increase in financial requirements (pension) for retirement status. 

It's over my level. So if passed -- game over for me.

(Will the old levels be grandfathered? Maybe. That will be something for people to watch.)

Tightening (more like typical Latin American normalization) of other things, police background checks, medical screening of some kind, etc.

So super easy almost too good to be true -- well, it was. 

Will see the specifics of the law if passed, but likely means no Colombia for me. I have obviously been most interested in Colombia. 

So that does leave some choices in Latin America that I am less excited about that I can still financially qualify for in order of highest to lowest interest --

Mexico

Ecuador

Panama

Peru

I still remain unclear on the Mexican retirement visa specific process but I think it can be handled by showing money in the bank in a similar way to Thailand but with an eventual path towards permanent residence (unlike Thailand). 

Ecuador with previous mentioned pros and cons does offer the buy in to their national health system but I don't think it's as good as in Colombia (and more serious financial issues as well). 

Apply for a Temporary Resident visa at a MX consul in any country you reside in. Wait 4 years.. You automatically get your permanent resident status, which is what I already have. The financial requirements I haven't kept up with.. 1400 USD per month maybe? 

4 hours ago, Bournville said:

I fly BKK to Mexico city on China Southern. f. 

What is your experience using that airline?