BANGKOK
Jingthing

Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

5 hours ago, Bournville said:

Apply for a Temporary Resident visa at a MX consul in any country you reside in. Wait 4 years.. You automatically get your permanent resident status, which is what I already have. The financial requirements I haven't kept up with.. 1400 USD per month maybe? 

Hi there.

Cool. You definitely know something about this.

I'm under the Mexican pension level but they have a show money option for temporary (and even permanent). Something like 30K USD which is coincidentally close to 800K baht. So you got your temporary thing first year, but then after that you need to reapply every year for the next four years, right? In Mexico? What did you need besides the financial requirements? Did you need police background reports from home country and Thailand (if you lived in Thailand) or any other expat country you've been living in? 

12 minutes ago, Bournville said:

Used them on that route 10 times over 4 years.. No complaints... Excellent service in the plane. 

Flying from Colombia via Mexico to Thailand, were you asked to show a YELLOW FEVER vaccine certificate?

Tragic news from Nothern Mexico.

I'll post this proactively as if I don't someone else will probably to suggest that Mexico in general is too dangerous for expats.

But usual expats wouldn't be moving anywhere near where this happened and they were from a dual citizen Mormon community that had a history of conflict with the drug cartels. 

That said this will be a big news story going forward and as indicated in the link, will likely have an impact on U.S. - Mexico relations in general.

Nine members of Mormon family with U.S. citizenship killed in attack in northern Mexico; Trump offers military support

MEXICO CITY — Assailants have killed at least nine members of a Mormon family in northern Mexico, authorities reported Tuesday, burning alive a woman and her children in a brutal assault that highlighted the growing danger posed by organized-crime groups around the country.

Alfonso Durazo, the minister of public security, told a news conference that the victims were three women and six children. They were part of a community of dual U.S.-Mexican citizens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/at-least-seven-members-of-mormon-family-brutally-killed-in-northern-mexico/2019/11/05/d303e448-ffbb-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html

Gringo expat beaten up in Loja Ecuador in a case of racist expat backlash. I think incidents like this are very rare in Latin America. Not so much general crime or violence but racist attacks per se.

Loja, Ecuador: U.S. expat harrassed for being a gringo, attacked with blow to the head

HATE CRIME AGAINST GRINGO IN LOJA ECUADOR

U.S. Citizen told to get out of the country, Ecuador is not for them but for Ecuadorians,

http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/loja-ecuador-u-s-expat-harrassed-for-being-a-gringo-attacked-with-blow-to-the-head/38449/

But perhaps an attack like this reveals a deeper vein of fear and hostility. The thing is Loja despite some predictions has not yet (and maybe never) become a major gringo expat destination. Understandably a lot of locals want to keep it that. Many people of Loja being between expat draws of Cuenca and Vilcabamba may want to keep it that way.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Another overview about choosing destinations in Mexico. As I've said before the larger higher altitude mild weather inland (though not biggest) cities of Queretaro and Puebla/Cholula that interest me are mentioned. She mentions air pollution issues that may be concerning.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

You want luxury malls? Queretaro has you covered. Ironically this vlogger couple that did many excellent videos about Queretaro are now in Asia. The UK man working in China and his Mexican wife vlogging last I checked in Vietnam! As I've mentioned before there DOES seem to be a good bit of jumping between Asia and Latin America, both ways.

• Thanks 1

I recall someone mentioned watching Simon Reeve's The Americas BBC series as reason NOT to move to Latin America.

After watching the first part of (the second part is coming next year I assume) I didn't get that from the program.

It's quite good and worth watching. His focus seems to mainly about big topics like:

Man's overexploitation of the earth, harming the earth and ultimately ourselves

Migration, south to north. Of course the topic here is more like north to south

Global climate change and it's direct relationship to migration.

The first 5 part series travels from the far Artic north down through Canada, the western USA, three parts of Mexico, and then Belize, Guatamala, El Salvador and Costa Rica.

He won't be getting into South America until the next part.

So here is my reaction to the program from the angle of people considering expatriation to Latin America. So starting in Mexico.

He first shows Reynosa a northern border region probably more dangerous than active war zones.

Don't move there!

Then coincidentally he goes to Puebla (a city high on my interest list) but instead of showing the touristic colonial old city, he shows the industrial might of the VW factory supporting a vast middle class for Mexican people there.

Then he goes to Southern Mexico, exploring indigenous political and economic grievances.

Then off to Belize which he describes as a poor but stable English speaking country. No surprise there are many expats there.

Then off to Guatamala a country with big problems and even famine related to global climate change fueling desperate migration north. (That said, there are pockets of expats in Guatamala.)

Then off to El Salvador showing the horrible gang violence in San Salvador ironically sparked by gang members that were deported from the USA!

Then Costa Rica, a major expat destination for many decades portraying it as a stable no military ecological paradise. where the local people live quite well. Costa Rica relies heavily on TOURISM. 

He didn't go to Panama.

I do wonder why Costa Rica (and presumably Panama) is doing so relatively well while Honduras, Guatamala, and El Salvador are doing so poorly as they are in the same Central American region presumably impacted by the same climate changes.

Anyway, from an expat POV, nothing at all surprising. 

Everyone should already know that Northern Mexico is for the most part off limits as an expat destination (cartel violence) and also Honduras and El Salvador.

On the other hand PARTS of Mexico, Belize, and Costa Rica remain on many people's lists.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recall someone mentioned watching Simon Reeve's The Americas BBC series as reason NOT to move to Latin America.

You aren't moving there anyway. This thread is 122 pages of nothing. We had one guy that went to Mexico City and got stressed out by Chardonnay and Greek Salads. The level of alert has gone way up as well, lately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

You aren't moving there anyway. This thread is 122 pages of nothing. We had one guy that went to Mexico City and got stressed out by Chardonnay and Greek Salads. The level of alert has gone way up as well, lately.

Easy to attack.

The OP has never stated that he is definitely moving to a LATAM country.

Note the " considering " word used in the title.

The poster who went to Mexico at least provided some useful insight.

If you consider the thread to be 122 pages of nothing why are you even reading ?

I have found it interesting from the start.

Have several friends with experience of the region.

None of them would even think of posting  here in such a toxic environment.

Another for the growing ignore list.

• Like 2