BANGKOK
Jingthing

Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

A bit of a followup on the horrible massacre of the Mormon dual nationality families in Northern Mexico by cartels particularly how such things relate to expats.

The surviving families are reportedly repatriating back to the USA. But they've been in Mexico for decades so that won't be so easy. I saw an interview with one of them saying he and his family have no place to go now in the USA but they're still going. 

I reckon a lot of repatriating expats from Thailand especially if they've been here for decades are in similar situations (with the difficult repatriations, not the massacre).

Jerry Brown Travels has an interesting story about what happened to them some years back in the expat haven area of Ajijic (Lake Chapala). So yes even safer areas can potentially be it by the cartel violence. But as Jerry says the Mexican government ultimately protects certain areas that are heavy with tourists and/or expats.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, Bournville said:

I fly BKK to Mexico city on China Southern. Check my 2x 23kg suitcases on one end and see them again at my final destination. About 700 usd each way.. Time of year and direction are factors. 

Then from MEX to CO. That's the only way I know of. 

Checking the East route to Argentina....

Skyscanner allows such a search in Multi-destination setting....

So, I have to split the journey....

Lets'say HKT (Phuket)-SYD (Sydney)

SYD-BUE (Buenos Aires) 

Results in a 30 hour trip for 80,000 Baht, return fare, leaving in Dec coming back in Feb. 

So-so airlines: Air Asia, Air Asia X and LATAM (??) 

Same from BKK, but with Qantas:

BKK-SYD (13 hs)

SYD-BUE(22 hs)

77,000Baht.

Perhaps there are better options to fly East, but no aware of. Usually I input SCL, as Chile offers more options than Argentina, and it is a quick jump, anyway....

Hopper is full of searches, from KL, from HK, from HKT, from BKK. Christmas is in the air, and fares are High, whatever direction one may decide to take. 

Charges for changes are also very high, and with the uncertainty I am facing, I will get a one-way-ticket this time. 

No cheap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snowballthecat said:

SYD-BUE (Buenos Aires) 

Results in a 30 hour trip for 80,000 Baht, return fare, leaving in Dec coming back in Feb. 

BKK-SYD (13 hs)

SYD-BUE(22 hs)

77,000Baht.

Perhaps there are better options to fly East, but no aware of. Usually I input SCL, as Chile offers more options than Argentina, and it is a quick jump, anyway....

Hopper is full of searches, from KL, from HK, from HKT, from BKK. Christmas is in the air, and fares are High, whatever direction one may decide to take. 

Charges for changes are also very high, and with the uncertainty I am facing, I will get a one-way-ticket this time. 

No cheap.

I'd love to fly the East route & stop off at some places I've never visited on the way, but it's far cheaper for me to combine the trip with a trip to visit family in Manchester (UK) which I will be doing anyway, this way it's like I get to visit them twice (top & tail of the trip) at no/minimal extra cost.

It's still 80,000THB + 110,000 THB though, that's in Business Class, once I've settled in to being retired (be kind, it's only my 2nd day & I still need to go into the office on 6th December to do the formal exit... yes I'm still being paid until then 🙂) & not in a rush I'll look into the Economy pricing - Going the other way was coming out at 320-340,000 THB with the itinerary I was looking at (The Chinese Airlines didn't come up on my searches)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, snowballthecat said:

SYD-BUE (Buenos Aires) 

BKK-SYD (13 hs)

SYD-BUE(22 hs)

77,000Baht.

No cheap.

LATAM is good

Bit old-fashioned

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'd love to fly the East route & stop off at some places I've never visited on the way, but it's far cheaper for me to combine the trip with a trip to visit family in Manchester (UK) which I will be doing anyway, this way it's like I get to visit them twice (top & tail of the trip) at no/minimal extra cost.

It's still 80,000THB + 110,000 THB though, that's in Business Class, once I've settled in to being retired (be kind, it's only my 2nd day & I still need to go into the office on 6th December to do the formal exit... yes I'm still being paid until then 🙂) & not in a rush I'll look into the Economy pricing - Going the other way was coming out at 320-340,000 THB with the itinerary I was looking at (The Chinese Airlines didn't come up on my searches)

That is a very good deal for you, business class and two stop-overs to visit the family! two one way tickets, isn't it?

I wish you a smooth transition to retirement life. 

Why is it so pricey to fly East, which is the more natural way to fly?

And yes, China Southern looks quite attractive....don't know the record.... I don't mind any airline as long as it doesn't fall down. This is the only thing I check before buying a ticket. Accidents. 

From list of requirements to One- Only requirement!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bournville said:

The Thai Baht has gotten stronger since my arrival in Thailand 4 years ago. In addition, prices have gone up.

In México, where I lived prior to 2014 for 3 years, the Peso has gotten weaker. Just this week the peso adjusted due to interest rate changes in Mexico. 

I can understand Mexican economics.. Just a bit. Thailands cause and affect in their economics make zero sense to me. 

Retirees and indeed younger entrepreneurs are looking for an economically sensible place to live. Thailand is a very poor in this regard. Real estate here in Thailand.. Land especially is about DOUBLE the cost of similar land in Mexico! Even the price of rice is more expensive in Thailand! 5555. When you think about rice... Thailand and China come to mind right? So why is rice cheaper in México? 

One if my favourite comparisons is clothes and shoes that are "Made in Thailand" and sold for less in Mexico than at Platinum market in BKK! Huh? This is a big mystery to me. 555

I'm not poor. But I'm not stupid with my money either. 

Yes, not a good deal anymore. 

But do not think only in terms of expensive/cheap. When it comes to choose a place to live there are many criteria discussed here. 

And honestly, how much rice do you eat?

How often you need to go shopping for clothes/shoes in Thailand?

I also arrived 3 years ago and still haven't got a single occassion to dress up. Is completely different to all other places I have lived before. 

You know better about daily life in Mexico. I will call a friend in Monterrey in these days to see her views. 

A few years ago, they couldn't even reach to the airport because criminals were attacking cars on the road. Have to spend a night at the airport hotel, if you want to live. 

What the video of Lake Chapala/ Ajijic talks about is True. 

Mexico is gripped in drug-wars, rival cartels killing each other and whoever is walking/driving on their way. 

So easy to die in a daytime shooting in Monterrey. I don't know now the situation, but it was like this a few years back. 

We shouldn't underestimate the value of feeling safe in Thailand. 

• Like 1

I've not read the thread but Chile's currency just crashed and I believe Argentina's did not long ago. That's prolly good for you X rate but often does not make for a happy local population. Bunch of Mormons murdered in Mexico weeks ago.

For me it would be a few months in half dozen countries on a circuit. I used to do four and changed one out every year. Keep moving you'll be fine but it's not easy for the older folks.

Edited by Number 6

On 11/3/2019 at 1:37 PM, uhuh said:

Friend is retiring to Colombia (he is 29), has been living there  for almost 3 years already,  speaks Spanish very well.

All prices that he ever quoted were cheaper than Thailand,  sometimes just a bit, sometimes a lot.

Exception: flights from Europe are cheaper to Thailand than to Colombia.

Especially cheap were condos (almost half the price of Thailand) and prostitutes (Colombians seem to be cheap, Venezuelans dirt cheap - but at 29 he gets lots of girls without paying by the hour, anyway).

2 problems: 

1. He is a businessman and got fleeced, lost almost 100,000 USD.

2. Healthcare. He doesn't have a solution for this. 

In my experience nothing beats how easy it is to rent a condo and a scooter in thailand. Tooks me 1 hour last time, monthly rate, no long lease, not even a deposit, very cheap, brand new, and quiet.

On the opposite, in Colombia i never found a way. Long lease, garantor, 6 month upfront, you name it, like in France, a pain in the ass. And no scooter to rent.

Hotel quality is of course way behind Thailand (unbeatable), small beds, very noisy... Not so cheap.

For me, beyond visa rules, and of course ambiance (i love latino athmosphere, and as a French especially, although not speaking spanish, i fell very welcome in LA), well i must admit i do not care as some here about the price of the beer 😂Guys seriously...

But i do really care about those basics : rental without hassle of condo and scooter, and noise. Countries where taxis klaxon like 10 time a minute ! it's a big issue for me ! Like Philippine too. 

For the girls, well different style huh... Colombians are the best. Elsewhere in LA well how to say ?... I like thin, not big. But there are feelings in LA. Definitely not in SEA.

I am still searching. But obviously it become more difficult in SEA. Thailand make a clear message, farangs not welcome to stay "any-more" 🙄. Cambodia well... hmm... I will check Vietnam again.

Colombia, i don't know why, as something special. I may return. With a lot of courage to find a good condo/rental... Real issue there imo, like in France, compare to Asia. And the noise.

No perfect world i should settle someday 😎

• Like 1

One day I will visit Colombia , one day.......