Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

34 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Awake a bit. Quick answer is Borgata is only a first stop, for easy of arrival, access to most things western and visa stuff.

I lived for years at almost 3000 meters and did well, and the cold does not bother me as much.  Medellin actually sounds more appealing.   Regardless of which one, I'll check out both.

But! The simplicity of getting my visa in Columbia really is a bid draw.  I will go to Columbia and check it out after some time here.  I need some time to get grounded first.  Feel a bit frayed.  Going back to sleep....  night...

That's good that you know you don't have a medical issue with very high elevation. (That would also open up Cuenca, Ecuador or Arequipa, Peru if you end up not liking Colombia.) 

Yes it is convenient to be in Bogota visa-wise because you can take your government benefits documents and get them officialized yourself at the U.S. embassy there. 

If you do rush into an application there, keep in mind it's a commitment. Six months out and you lose the status under retirement. 

To add, before you actually get to Colombia, I suggest you learn to spell it correctly, because the people there might slap you or worse if you don't.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Ecuador?

I think I posted conflicting info here about their visa information so I will try to correct that here.

The reason is that Ecuador, like Colombia, made a major change fairly recently in their rules.

Previously you could do directly on first application to "permanent" residence but under the new rules you are required to start first with a temporary application (for two years).

If you read any source that has not updated to the changes to the need for a temporary visa first, ignore it as it's not up to date. 

This video from the Swiss expat guy in Colombia explains it rather well, so here it is. He's also included a link for his source so if you're pursuing living in Ecuador that firm may be worth contacting.

http://www.ecuadorvisas.com/the-4-or-5-best-ecuador-visa-types-for-residency-in-ecuador/

Which links to an interesting hard sell for moving to Ecuador in general --

https://gringosabroad.com/best-country-for-expats/

Again, Ecuador like Colombia has a buy in program for their possibly decent national health system.

However, Ecuador will require the police reports (if coming after living in Thailand probably from both Thailand and your home country) officially translated and with an apostille. So far (which still kind of boggles the mind) it appears Colombia does not. Those documents can't be older than six months. I don't know if you would need them AGAIN for the later application after the initial two years, but it wouldn't surprise me if you did. 

To add, the reasons that I'm personally not that hot on Ecuador --

Based on my research Cuenca is the only place in Ecuador that I would consider.

Cuenca has a lot to offer but it is very high altitude, and the puff pieces saying it's year round spring are not true. It gets quite chilly, generally the housing doesn't feature central heating, and you'll be wearing a lot of sweaters. 

Overall, I think their visa system still has a bad reputation of being slow and difficult, and then there is the matter of the hassles with the police reports from Thailand (which to be fair will be an issue pretty much everywhere in Latin America except Colombia based on current info). 

Edited by Jingthing

Enjoyable reading.
OK now I'm wondering if you don't like hot why bother with Merida?
It's no secret that for much of the year it's very hot and humid.
As you probably know most of the expats live central or in some more upscale areas north of central.
I'm clear you're much more advanced in Spanish than me but I know enough to know if you speak Mexican style Spanish Colombians will laugh at you.
About your stamp its been a very long time since I've been in Mexico but I do recall that your supposed to tell them how long to stamp you in depending on what you want and the upper day limit. But yes I think it should say on the stamp.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Enjoyable reading.
OK now I'm wondering if you don't like hot why bother with Merida?
It's no secret that for much of the year it's very hot and humid.
As you probably know most of the expats live central or in some more upscale areas north of central.
I'm clear you're much more advanced in Spanish than me but I know enough to know if you speak Mexican style Spanish Colombians will laugh at you.
About your stamp its been a very long time since I've been in Mexico but I do recall that your supposed to tell them how long to stamp you in depending on what you want and the upper day limit. But yes I think it should say on the stamp.

All ok with the visa. I got confused because they got confused because I did my arrival form online ahead of time.  

Word of advice,  don't.  Just do the one the airline gives you. The problem was I'm not used to not having a stamp in my passport.  It's normal for Americans here on a tourist Visa.   Just don't loose the other half of your form for when leaving. 

The heat. Yea, I probably should have just dirched Merida to start with. Doesn't really matter.  It's ok to hang a bit, and there are flights to Bogota for 150 us.

So, I'm good for 6 months.   There are cooler places in Mexico.  I might check those out.

Oh, uber works great here.  Very affordable and quick.   The drivers are happy to help practice Spanish. 

Here is the online arrival form.  I'd recommend against it.

20190312_110736.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Well have you considered checking out Queretaro? One of those moderate altitude year round mild weather places. On paper to me it sounds the best potential retirement city in Mexico but nowhere near a beach.

Not familiar with it. I'll investigate.  Thanks.

To the Captain, and others interested, your previous comment about maybe going down to Colombia and if you like it, just to go ahead and apply for a three year retirement visa, gave me an idea. Personally I'm still very much tied to Thailand, largely with the old owning a hard to sell condo albatross / conundrum. But the fact that the Colombia retirement visa is so relatively easy and quick to get (based on the info I have at this point anyway) might work for people like me. Go to Colombia. Hopefully like it. Get the three year visa (which reportedly can be done in a week), then get the cedula (I.D. card) and then with a new legal home ready to go, try to rush the get out of Thailand business. Going back to Thailand, selling stuff, transferring money out. You're already out so don't have this problem. I'm thinking of people that basically don't want to spend much time in the home country (or any) before moving to Latin America. It might be cleaner and certainly less expensive to divorce from Thailand before (as you did) but this could be another way for people that want to be sure of the new place to go to BEFORE divorcing from Thailand. Problems with this idea could be not having a set address in Colombia (probably need to work with a lawyer there), being on a time limit (six months out of Colombia with your new visa and it becomes void), and maintaining some kind of legal status to stay in Thailand while you're working on exiting. Writing this, I'm not entirely sure such a plan is that bright, but an upside I can see is that it would be motivating to be on a time clock, there's something about deadlines and having a fire to the ass that can help things along. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we went to visit my cousin in Columbia, I entered on my Mexican passport. I got 90 days, extendable to 180. My Thai wife with her Thai passport and US green card got 30 days.

I think even if I had used my US passport I would have got the same

Go try it out, nothing to lose

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

When we went to visit my cousin in Columbia, I entered on my Mexican passport. I got 90 days, extendable to 180. My Thai wife with her Thai passport and US green card got 30 days.

I think even if I had used my US passport I would have got the same

Go try it out, nothing to lose

U.S. and presumably most western passport holders don't need a visa to travel to Colombia as a tourist. But it's not one of those countries that you can live in with tourist visas and visa runs. They strictly limit that. 

It's 90 days on entry which I think can be extended 90 days in country, but after that, it's ba-bye.

Edited by Jingthing

The question of health insurance in Mexico hasn't been mentioned here yet. Here is a start. I recall reading before that the nationalized programs (news to me that there are two there) are available to expats but not after a certain age and/or with preexisting conditions. Unfortunately this video doesn't get into that. If that's true it's an interesting contrast to Colombia where the nationalized program is the ONLY program available to expats over age 60 or 62. 

Edited by Jingthing

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The question of health insurance in Mexico hasn't been mentioned here yet. Here is a start. I recall reading before that the nationalized programs (news to me that there are two there) are available to expats but not after a certain age and/or with preexisting conditions. Unfortunately this video doesn't get into that. If that's true it's an interesting contrast to Colombia where the nationalized program is the ONLY program available to expats over age 60 or 62. 

As is pretty obvious,  I have been "winging it" once I made the decision to leave Thailand. The entire retire to Mexico program has been, as is all others, a work in progress.   You are right on the age limit to participate in the Mexican National health plans.  I'm not eligible,  and had yet to detail the other options and cost. My fallback was the cheapest policy, if, affordable,  and keep my Medicare advantage program.   I did read about Colombia's medical briefly, and that is also a big draw.  Good point to mention. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Here is the information we need for all of us over 62 wanting medical insurance in Colombia...

FAQ #2 – What about people who are older than 60 who want health insurance?

After age 62, it is almost impossible to sign up for most prepagada plans, except possibly with AXA Colpatria that is up to age 65. But an EPS plan will still accept you.

Between age 60-62, there is an additional premium for a prepagada plan. So, it’s best to sign up for a prepagada plan before age 60.

FAQ #3 – What does health insurance cost in Colombia?

The cost of an EPS plan is 12.5 percent of your gross income declared to the EPS.

The cost of a prepagada plan is based on your age, pre-existing conditions and the specific plan you choose. And the premiums fall in age brackets: from age 0-14, 14 to 40, 40 to 60 and 60 and up.

In example, for a 60-year-old, SURA’s prepagada plan premium is approximately 800,000 pesos ($277 USD) per month.

xxxxxxx

The EPS system is not the best, but not all that bad.  The fact that a 66 yo can get insurance for the premium listed anywhere outside their home country makes Colombia different from all the other countries I have looked at. If you wanted private insurance,  it will be an International company.

I have not gotten a quote from an international company for Colombia, but it will likely be like most. Unaffordable,  limited preexisting conditions or outright refusal to provide coverage. 

I know this topic has gotten a lot of discussion on TV.  I personally last year tried my best to convince my Kiwi mate to get insurance before 62 in Thailand.  I think he has now waited too long. Why expats still insist things will remain the same and never change is beyond me.

Oh well.  We got good information now really starting to flow on this topic. Let's keep it up.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

I will book a flight to Bogota in two weeks.  I can fly one way for 150 dollars US, get a tourist Visa and apply for a 3 year retirement visa there.  I have with me all the documents I need.  Once I've got the visa, I'll check our Medellin in a few months. See where I like most. Mexico is a no starter. I'm too old now even for the National Health Plans.  Colombia,  here I come....

That sounds very exciting.

If that Colombia retirement visa plan goes ahead, please share with us as much detail as you possibly can. 

Some questions I have to start are --

What about the stated address on the application and for the cedula. Will they accept a hotel address for either/both?

If not, maybe you can book an airbnb which would have a residence address that you can use. instead.

Police report -- is it REALLY true there is no requirement for either a home country report or a report from residence countries in the last five years (Thailand)?

Application -- if you do the application online, could you tell us about the questions that they asked, whether you were prepared to answer all of them on the spot, etc.?

If you do an online application you will do that yourself. If you visit an immigration lawyer, they will likely fill it in for you and ask you the questions for them to fill in.

Specific costs. Lawyer costs if you use.

Problems. Big ones or small.

Timeframe from application to getting the visa.

Then, the cedula application process.

Also of course any information about your experience that you think might be helpful to others later that aren't included in these questions. 

People here can learn from you whether the description of relatively quick and easy is really true, or not, well, at least for you. 

5 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

The EPS system is not the best, but not all that bad.  The fact that a 66 yo can get insurance for the premium listed anywhere outside their home country makes Colombia different from all the other countries I have looked at. If you wanted private insurance,  it will be an International company.

Yes, I completely agree that the health insurance offer in Colombia will be a very important attraction especially for older people.

Ecuador, though, does offer something very similar, and I think there are actually a number of other nations that do offer access to expats into their health care system. 

For example, perhaps Uruguay. 

Anyway, some things to keep in mind, and personally I think you should talk to an immigration lawyer there about this stuff --

My information is that the buy in to the national health plan is technically required of all Colombians (except those in extreme poverty) and expat residents.

The private options if available are on top of the national fee. (Sounds like a real clever way of funding the national system). 

Now that doesn't mean that in practice that's how it really works!

So the implication which I can't confirm is that once you have your visa and cedula, you will be "required" to join their national health system. Which isn't automatic, you'd need to sign up.

Is that really true? I don't know.

If you're not living there yet, you wouldn't want to rush into it and have to pay the fees if you don't have to. 

Cost.

My information says 12 percent of your stated income for the visa. You can get the visa based on an a very low income, under 800 USD monthly. (Verify the current.)

So if you claim a larger income of 5000 USD, 12 percent of that would NOT be a low premium!

So that's why I think you might want to consult with an immigration lawyer.

There is another issue with this that I thought about.

Suppose you go in based on for example a pension of 1400 USD, and pay 12 percent of that based on pesos of course. So then later the peso strengthens dramatically, then it seems to me your monthly premium would still be the same because it's in pesos, but costing a lot more because of the exchange rate. Getting into the weeds here but I do wonder if down the line expats can apply for a rate adjustment based on their income changing significantly based on exchange rate changes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sambotte said:

I have been locking at Latin American countries, in fact before the immigration changes.

I agree Thailand become problematic toward Farangs.

But there are a lot of other consideration, wich can be important too, for choosing a country.

So for me (everyone has it's own requirements), main :

- Bureaucraty : become really too bad in Thailand

- RENTAL house : WAY more easy in Asia, in Latin America it's like in France, a nightmare ! I just don't deal well with countries where you are asked for a garant, 6 months deposits, get rip off your deposit, etc. Colombia : very hard to find a rental (not to mention the noise).

AND quality of constructions are i think way bellow in Latin America, noticebly no sound proofing at all. Ridiculous small beds everywhere, no hot water many times, etc.

- Noise : depends. Globally very good in Thailand, but for example very bad in Philipines... I am surprised not many people in forum talk about that? For me it's one of the main points. Crazy klaxon like in PH or North Colombia all the time makes me crazy. And i mean really, it's a "no stay" reason for me.

- Hygien : i just came back from Cambodia, honestly i could not live in Phnom-Penh TRASH TOWN ! Disgusting, not safe (diseases)... Thailand ok, Latin america ok.

- Security : very good in Asia, medium to bad to very bad in Latin America (but not much worse than european or USA).

- Athmosphere : kind of cold in Asia (you don't make friends easy), excellent in Latin America.

But... in the same time you may want more privacy and tranquility sometimes.

Langage : much better (for a French at least) in Espagnol.

- Air quality : for example north Thailand is just very bad, with the 4-5 months burning season. 

- Climate : i hate the cold so many countries i can not go.

- Cost of living : similar i would say in Asia and Latinos.

Etc. There are so many top priority to consider actually.

So just personal experience, after 4 long stays in Latin America, i pass. Main reasons : too noisy, and too complicated for rentals. Still thinking where to try, since Thailand looks seriously against farangs now.

the caribbean islands belonging to france,

or the more accessible for me, vietnam,

is my primary candidates

I have been locking at Latin American countries, in fact before the immigration changes.
I agree Thailand become problematic toward Farangs.

But there are a lot of other consideration, wich can be important too, for choosing a country.

So for me (everyone has it's own requirements), main :
- Bureaucraty : become really too bad in Thailand
- RENTAL house : WAY more easy in Asia, in Latin America it's like in France, a nightmare ! I just don't deal well with countries where you are asked for a garant, 6 months deposits, get rip off your deposit, etc. Colombia : very hard to find a rental (not to mention the noise).
AND quality of constructions are i think way bellow in Latin America, noticebly no sound proofing at all. Ridiculous small beds everywhere, no hot water many times, etc.
- Noise : depends. Globally very good in Thailand, but for example very bad in Philipines... I am surprised not many people in forum talk about that? For me it's one of the main points. Crazy klaxon like in PH or North Colombia all the time makes me crazy. And i mean really, it's a "no stay" reason for me.
- Hygien : i just came back from Cambodia, honestly i could not live in Phnom-Penh TRASH TOWN ! Disgusting, not safe (diseases)... Thailand ok, Latin america ok.
- Security : very good in Asia, medium to bad to very bad in Latin America (but not much worse than european or USA).
- Athmosphere : kind of cold in Asia (you don't make friends easy), excellent in Latin America.
But... in the same time you may want more privacy and tranquility sometimes.
Langage : much better (for a French at least) in Espagnol.
- Air quality : for example north Thailand is just very bad, with the 4-5 months burning season. 
- Climate : i hate the cold so many countries i can not go.
- Cost of living : similar i would say in Asia and Latinos.

Etc. There are so many top priority to consider actually.

So just personal experience, after 4 long stays in Latin America, i pass. Main reasons : too noisy, and too complicated for rentals. Still thinking where to try, since Thailand looks seriously against farangs now.
Thanks for that. Very good points. Actually I have posted here already on the difficulties of renting in Colombia compared to Thailand. I don't have the direct experience that you have but yes noise, sometimes excessive socializing, and lack of good sound proofing in housing are common observations and complaints. Personally I live in a noisy location in Thailand and my hearing was damaged by rock and roll so not sure it would bother me.

I want to add that Costa Rica is another country that I think has a national health program open to retired expats where the cost is based on claimed income. I don't know whether they have age or preexisting condition limitations, but any member interested in Costa Rica, please check it out and post about it.

The reason I personally rejected Costa Rica before is that based on a visit there mostly to San Jose but also touring around the country, San Jose seemed like the only area there I would want to live in but I found the air pollution severe and also the local food was incredibly boring. 

But checking for an update, perhaps San Jose turned this around?

http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/08/09/costa-ricas-capital-among-top-latin-american-cities-cleanest-air

Note on this list that as mentioned before Medellin Colombia is high on the air pollution list but Cali Colombia is on the most clean list. I haven't really looked into Cali. My impression has been that it is higher crime than both Medellin and the coffee region cities.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi,

Wow, I'm ready to plant. All roads point to Colombia,  else I travel the rest of my days or repatriate. I'm tired and want to rest my mind, body and soul. It makes no sense to linger here longer then necessary.  

Press onward, don't look back. Remember the good times and forget the bad.  

I fly to Bogota March 26th.  I'll need to buy some warm clothes.  I have a very nice and affordable place for my first two weeks in La Candelaria. I need to get my ownward ticket, then I'm just going to chill here in Merida.  I don't think there will be much to report on until I get to Bogota. 

Oh, I ran into the younger brother of a guy I went to high school with last night.  Small world.  

I'm going to take a nap. Lol

• Like 1

Seeing Machu Picchu was always on my bucket list, so I've got a real forwarding ticket to go there in June. This will get me into Colombia and 90 days to work out the retirement logistics and check out different places to visit as both a tourist and possibly live. 

Regardless,  I'll have three months to see what the future holds, and,  I might as well go to Peru.  The flight into Lima was 150 usd.  

Now, nap time friends.  I'll monitor the discussion but unless I have something to contribute,  I'll just be here. 

CJ

• Thanks 1