Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

18 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Would give serious thought to how socially and politically stable a country would be in the event of an economic downturn, i.e., Brazil after commodity bubble burst, Venezuela following drop in oil prices, Argentina's hyper-inflation after collapse of peso.

a very good point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wonderful music, food and ladies but, i just think it's to dangerous.

I was mugged in Rio as well. But again, Brazil really isn't and shouldn't be on the radar for people being "pushed" out of Thailand based in visa financial requirements. 

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nice discussions,but keep in mind that Latin Americans countries (any countries) could change their visa stuff tomorrow or soon or in 5 years...

That is true. Rules can always change even after you have a "permanent" residence stamp in your passport. For people concerned about that, the nations that offer paths to citizenship may be of more interest. That actually happened before in Colombia! But let's face it, those of us that have become expats are generally bigger risk takers than all the stay at home Joe Blows.

• Like 2

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Any guys  here who have successfully relocated ?

Example Panama? Or Malta?

There are sone members here doing 6 months Spain and 6 months Thailand maybe a combi is an ideal solution. 

Please -- Latin America only here and also comparisons of different Latin American nations to Thailand (where many of us considering leaving from)  ...

Ideally, if this topic survives over the months and years we can start to hear specific first hand reports of people that have left Thailand and attempted to relocate in specific Latin American nations. The first hand info they gain from that, especially the specific stuff such as dealing with Thailand police reports for specific nations, could prove invaluable to those that may follow. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's honest but please keep the discussion focused on Latin America. If commercial sex is a priority and/or relationship potential with younger partners some nations would be better than others. For example Colombia would be better than Ecuador. 

Yes, I already acknowledged the obvious fact that Latin America is of most interest to Americans and Canadians. However, perhaps it shouldn't be. Especially the retired expats, as a number of Latin American nations offer permanent residency opportunities (and even citizenship) based on being retired there that are NOT on offer in Asean. Plus the financial requirements in most of the Latin American choices are lower, in fact MUCH LOWER than in Thailand.

Getting an O-A visa for Thailand works out to $100 dollars a year.  What Latin American countries are lower than that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm sure the missus would be made up if I said we were moving to Columbia, Nicaragua, Chile, Peru, Brazil, Ecuador.

As an alternative to Thailand we would both consider Spain or Portugal though.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Would give serious thought to how socially and politically stable a country would be in the event of an economic downturn, i.e., Brazil after commodity bubble burst, Venezuela following drop in oil prices, Argentina's hyper-inflation after collapse of peso.

Yes, of course!

Almost everyone would rule out Venezuela now but I haven't even checked if they have visa programs, but who really cares?

Brazil --  I think most people that are typical expats in Thailand should rule out due to visa requirements and yes unusually high crime. 

Argentina -- I have spent time there only in Buenos Aires and of course I loved it. But I ruled it out as an expat destination based on their history of financial instability

Nicaragua -- Currently would rule out due to recent history of political violence but worth keeping an eye on for longer term

Mexico -- recent major change in government, there are some very attractive safe enough expat destinations there, but how things change under the new leftist government is uncertain. 

Some countries that look very good right now specifically Colombia, Peru, and Ecuador share in the risk of the Venezuelan situation destabilizing much of the region. Those three are major refugee destinations. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Getting an O-A visa for Thailand works out to $100 dollars a year.  What Latin American countries are lower than that?

Getting an O-A visa means traveling back to your home country. Please this isn't about Thai visa mechanics per se.

Also it sounds like you're falsely conflating visa acquisition fees with FINANCIAL REQUIREEMENTS!

Thailand's financial requirements for retirement visas for example are much much higher than most nations in Latin America that have formal programs, and many of them do. 

Believe it or not, many long term expats are feeling like it's time to seriously look for alternative options and some of the best alternative options in the world are in Latin America. Thus this topic. 

• Like 2

Just now, grollies said:

I have already posted numerous times I wouldn't recommend that. It has been attractive especially in Grenada previously, but not now, and it's hard to say when it will be again. 

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Following with interest as I'd like to spend a bit of time in South America before I commit to where I am going to fully retire 

If I had to pick based on the very limit knowledge I have it would be Costa Rica, Columbia, Ecuador or Panama (in that order)

My current list by nation is in this order. But I have specific locations in those countries as well. That makes a BIG difference exactly where.

For some reasons which I don't fully understand (yes I've been there personally and didn't really love it) Costa Rica has become much less popular than in decades past.

Colombia (top by a lot)

Mexico

Ecuador and Peru (tied)

Panama (not very seriously)

Uruguay (not very seriously)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I have some additional areas to add to your personal priorities list to help narrow down the choices.

Language -- If you know you won't ever learn Spanish (or Portuguese for Brazil) there is Belize, which is English speaking. Or you could choose a gringo ghetto in various countries, but bring more money. 

Friendliness of the people -- Some nations have deserved reputations for warmth and friendliness. For example Peruvians less warm and friendly than Colombians as a very gross generalization. Of course to be widely social in most of Latin American that isn't going to make much difference unless you learn Spanish.

Isolation level? What do you do when you need to visit your embassy if you're not living in the capital city? Is it difficult and expensive to visit? Some nations even require visa application only in the capital as in Lima Peru which means people choosing to live in isolated Arequipa are greatly inconvenienced. 

Also what about travel, domestically and international? Are there direct flights to your home country? Is your new home a hub or subject to high airfares and/or hair raising 20 hour bus rides to most everywhere. An example of a great international hub is Panama City. An example of much more isolation is Arequipa, Peru. 

Cost of imports! Food, electronics, cars, etc. This can be a big deal. Some countries can appear to be deceptively cheap until you factor in the import duties especially on big ticket items. For food you have a choice, you can adapt and eat more local, but you're gonna need your electronics!

Edited by Jingthing

A great place to visit is Chile.

Rarely rates a mention on the charts-but as a holiday,it's tops.

Most posters go home (intelligent) rather than rush of to Tierra del Fuego.

I certainly haven't seen too many posters fleeing from Thailand reporting back..however I have two friends in Mexico who love it.

Maybe they met their event horizon and were extinguished...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

hi JT, i think caribbean rightfully belong to this thread

as all EU countries and england qualifies for PR /citizenship

in caribbean

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-the-UK-and-EU-citizens-live-in-the-Caribbean

I think that's fair enough especially considering the Latin American nature of certain places in the Caribbean such as Cuba, Dominican Republic, and U.S. "colony" (sorry) Puerto Rico. Of course Americans moving to Puerto Rico wouldn't be an expat thing but it would be for all other nationalities.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I certainly haven't seen too many posters fleeing from Thailand reporting back..however I have two friends in Mexico who love it.

Where specifically in Mexico?

I've been to many places in Mexico but the only three places I am considering there now I haven't been to as yet.

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Chile has an unusual retirement visa program. Applicants are individually evaluated based on where they choose to settle. Meaning you would need a higher financial for Santiago vs. the provinces. There is no hard number that they state for all (the last time I checked). That said I have some research on Chile and have personally rejected it as a place to move. But it may be perfect for others.

@Jingthing My point wasn't to take into consideration already identified social and economic problems, it was to make an effort to identify potential future problems, even though things are fine right now. Argentina is a good example. It showed up at the top of expat destinations a few years back and - boom - the economy collapsed. Maybe a little research beforehand into it's economic and fiscal health might have spotted this.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gecko123 said:

@Jingthing My point wasn't to take into consideration already identified social and economic problems, it was to make an effort to identify potential future problems, even though things are fine right now. Argentina is a good example. It showed up at the top of expat destinations a few years back and - boom - the economy collapsed. Maybe a little research beforehand into it's economic and fiscal health might have spotted this.

I mostly agree but personally I don't think Argentina has been generally rated all that high over the years largely because of their rather predictable history of messing up their finances.

In possible contrast, Colombia is a really interesting case. Probably the majority of westerners still associate it with narco violence and civil war, yet those issues have been significantly reduced in the narco case for a really long time now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wonderful music, food and ladies but, i just think it's to dangerous.

Where on earth did you stay in Rio?

Before my first visit, we too imagined it would be rife with crime. But we went everywhere, even places we weren't supposed to go, by accident wandering into the 'wrong' favela.

Perhaps we are just lucky. Been there at least four times now.

55 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Hey watch this

Culturally, you have very little in common with anyone in Latin America Your ability to make friends there (or folks to hang out with) depends on you and the crowd you chose. Better learn Spanish. If you have money and a good job, you may find yourself in better circles than just some random dude. Upper class Latin American circles dont need you.

Edited 52 minutes ago by Nyezhov

I've spoken Spanish for a while, visited Spain every year from age 6 onwards, and often listen to Bachata and Reggaeton.

Culturally I have a lot in common with Spanish speaking people.

• Like 2