BANGKOK
Jingthing

Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

18 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Would give serious thought to how socially and politically stable a country would be in the event of an economic downturn, i.e., Brazil after commodity bubble burst, Venezuela following drop in oil prices, Argentina's hyper-inflation after collapse of peso.

a very good point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wonderful music, food and ladies but, i just think it's to dangerous.

I was mugged in Rio as well. But again, Brazil really isn't and shouldn't be on the radar for people being "pushed" out of Thailand based in visa financial requirements. 

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nice discussions,but keep in mind that Latin Americans countries (any countries) could change their visa stuff tomorrow or soon or in 5 years...

That is true. Rules can always change even after you have a "permanent" residence stamp in your passport. For people concerned about that, the nations that offer paths to citizenship may be of more interest. That actually happened before in Colombia! But let's face it, those of us that have become expats are generally bigger risk takers than all the stay at home Joe Blows.

• Like 2

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Any guys  here who have successfully relocated ?

Example Panama? Or Malta?

There are sone members here doing 6 months Spain and 6 months Thailand maybe a combi is an ideal solution. 

Please -- Latin America only here and also comparisons of different Latin American nations to Thailand (where many of us considering leaving from)  ...

Ideally, if this topic survives over the months and years we can start to hear specific first hand reports of people that have left Thailand and attempted to relocate in specific Latin American nations. The first hand info they gain from that, especially the specific stuff such as dealing with Thailand police reports for specific nations, could prove invaluable to those that may follow. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's honest but please keep the discussion focused on Latin America. If commercial sex is a priority and/or relationship potential with younger partners some nations would be better than others. For example Colombia would be better than Ecuador. 

Yes, I already acknowledged the obvious fact that Latin America is of most interest to Americans and Canadians. However, perhaps it shouldn't be. Especially the retired expats, as a number of Latin American nations offer permanent residency opportunities (and even citizenship) based on being retired there that are NOT on offer in Asean. Plus the financial requirements in most of the Latin American choices are lower, in fact MUCH LOWER than in Thailand.

Getting an O-A visa for Thailand works out to $100 dollars a year.  What Latin American countries are lower than that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm sure the missus would be made up if I said we were moving to Columbia, Nicaragua, Chile, Peru, Brazil, Ecuador.

As an alternative to Thailand we would both consider Spain or Portugal though.

• Like 2

BTW, this is the very first time I've posted via my laptop, it's great reading this site on my web browser!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Would give serious thought to how socially and politically stable a country would be in the event of an economic downturn, i.e., Brazil after commodity bubble burst, Venezuela following drop in oil prices, Argentina's hyper-inflation after collapse of peso.

Yes, of course!

Almost everyone would rule out Venezuela now but I haven't even checked if they have visa programs, but who really cares?

Brazil --  I think most people that are typical expats in Thailand should rule out due to visa requirements and yes unusually high crime. 

Argentina -- I have spent time there only in Buenos Aires and of course I loved it. But I ruled it out as an expat destination based on their history of financial instability

Nicaragua -- Currently would rule out due to recent history of political violence but worth keeping an eye on for longer term

Mexico -- recent major change in government, there are some very attractive safe enough expat destinations there, but how things change under the new leftist government is uncertain. 

Some countries that look very good right now specifically Colombia, Peru, and Ecuador share in the risk of the Venezuelan situation destabilizing much of the region. Those three are major refugee destinations. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Getting an O-A visa for Thailand works out to $100 dollars a year.  What Latin American countries are lower than that?

Getting an O-A visa means traveling back to your home country. Please this isn't about Thai visa mechanics per se.

Also it sounds like you're falsely conflating visa acquisition fees with FINANCIAL REQUIREEMENTS!

Thailand's financial requirements for retirement visas for example are much much higher than most nations in Latin America that have formal programs, and many of them do. 

Believe it or not, many long term expats are feeling like it's time to seriously look for alternative options and some of the best alternative options in the world are in Latin America. Thus this topic. 

• Like 2