Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

Thanks for that.

So as not to sugar coat things, there has been a recent uptick in cartel violence in both Guanajuato city, and the expat "havens" of San Miguel de Allende and even Lake Chapala. 

Not at yet in the place that interests me the most -- Queretaro city.

San Miguel and Guanajuato are in the same general central region as Queretaro.

As I said before there is what sounds like an urban myth is that the cartels have (for decades already) declared Queretaro a peace zone because they send their kids to school there. I have no way of confirming if that is true, but mysteriously up till now anyway it has been relatively free of such cartel violence. No guarantees going forward of course.

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/4/2019 at 3:16 PM, BritManToo said:

Not much sex available there for old men ....... which is why we chose the third world.

Can't imagine anyone except for Americans considering SA.

Thailand ,   has  everything , a dirty old sexpat needs .  

Why have mutton ,  when you can afford lamb.  555

Edited by elliss

52 minutes ago, elliss said:

Thailand ,   has  everything , a dirty old sexpat needs .  

Why have mutton ,  when you can afford lamb.  555

Well, we're not all sexpats for one thing. Also Thailand isn't the only choice for sexpats and some of those choices are in Latin America. But if you want to argue that Thailand is tops in the world for sexpats, OK, fine, I don't really have an opinion on that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, we're not all sexpats for one thing. Also Thailand isn't the only choice for sexpats and some of those choices are in Latin America. But if you want to argue that Thailand is tops in the world for sexpats, OK, fine, I don't really have an opinion on that.

Were you never a sexpat in Thailand? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I agree and disagree.

For sure there are those of us, with Thai partners or spouses, that meet in the good old fashioned way, through work or social contacts.

But there is a disproportionate number, pretty unique to Thailand, who hook up through the sex trade.

Thailand's reputation as a sexpat destination isn't fiction, unfortunately it's a reality, but again, not for all  

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Are you making a confession? 

I'm a card carrying member of the sexpat union.  I do remember reading TV years ago ha ha ha.  Remember that post you made about.........  I even bought one after reading your post about it.  It worked too. 

Edited by marcusarelus

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I agree and disagree.

For sure there are those of us, with Thai partners or spouses, that meet in the good old fashioned way, through work or social contacts.

But there is a disproportionate number, pretty unique to Thailand, who hook up through the sex trade.

Thailand's reputation as a sexpat destination isn't fiction, unfortunately it's a reality, but again, not for all  

Why unfortunately?  I met a girl who had stamp after stamp from Thailand to Singapore.  We all knew what that was about......... Not just Thailand.  Those Thai ladies get around. 

Edited by marcusarelus

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why unfortunately?  I met a girl who had stamp after stamp from Thailand to Singapore.  We all knew what that was about......... Not just Thailand.  Those Thai ladies get around. 

It's unfortunate that any woman needs to sell their body to make a living!

I know it's the world's oldest profession, but that doesn't make it anymore right!

In fact it just makes it tragic

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's unfortunate that any woman needs to sell their body to make a living!

I know it's the world's oldest profession, but that doesn't make it anymore right!

In fact it just makes it tragic

Football players sell their bodies.  Boxers sell their bodies.  Massage therapists sell their bodies.  Any laborer sells his body.  Medical subjects and blood donors sell their bodily fluids.  I think you have been brainwashed by some cult.  Did you notice you said woman not person?  Apparently is OK for men to sell their bodies.  You have to watch the PC stuff. 

Edited by marcusarelus

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Football players sell their bodies.  Boxers sell their bodies.  Massage therapists sell their bodies.  Any laborer sells his body.  Medical subjects and blood donors sell their bodily fluids.  I think you have been brainwashed by some cult.  Did you notice you said woman not person?  Apparently is OK for men to sell their bodies.  You have to watch the PC stuff. 

That is quite a stretch of the imagination to equate an athlete to a prostitute.

But I have come to recognize that your brain seems to work on a very different frequency to mine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 6:28 AM, Jingthing said:

Medellin is quite a large city. The living experience will be very different depending on where in Medellin. There are plenty of general guides to Medellin, but this one seems special. It gets into detail about the different neighborhoods WITHIN the popular with expats and tourists larger districts.

Those districts are Poblado, Laureles, and Envigado.

https://theunconventionalroute.com/best-neighborhoods-in-medellin/

Thank You for the link.

I did not realise quite how large Medellin is.

My fault.

The blog is good with it s detail.

Very in depth.

For me personally I would want an area with a mix of expats/tourists and locals..

Compares comparatively to naklua where I live.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Are you making a confession? 

We all were all sexpats in the good ole days,   lucky ones are still active.555

Thailand is the largest brothel in the world ,  your folks back home,  they know. 

Lets not forget our past, live and let live , otherwise you will become another TVF , old and miserable grumpy preacher,  what a waste of a life in paradise . 

Edited by elliss

30 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Just for the record, i'd sell my body in a heart beat given the chance.

Same same,  Thai bar Ladies . I lucky i found a good one , she cashier/cleaner

Darling go bar tomorrow pay bar,      

I hate bar fines, takes love out of the relationship. 555

Edited by elliss

Not much interest in Baja California Sur?  I lived for over a year in La Paz and about 6 months in San Jose del Cabo. I very much enjoyed living in both places but I was more a wanderer then and not a retiree. I expect SJdC is very much a tourist city these days what with the proximity and growth of Cabo San Lucas. 

Super cheap flights to the states and gringo services are available everywhere. Nice people.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/la-paz-mexico?currency=USD

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

an urban myth

Almost this entire thread has been a myth, filled with misinformation, unsubstantiated nonsense, and hearsay, but I think that was the whole point in order to keep it going.   How about some more Mexican food videos, haven't had any of those for a few pages now?

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 3:09 PM, Jingthing said:

declared Queretaro a peace zone

Unless you have a helicopter and plan to live in an underground bunker, then this is not relevant, and is terrible advice.  You still have to get there and from Mexico City it will be a white knuckle perilous ride up highway 57d.  Just ask some of these other poor souls who ventured out onto the roads either by car or in a taxi or bus.

You could drive yourself

https://www.insideedition.com/couple-kidnapped-bound-and-beaten-while-scouting-wedding-venues-mexico-45436

https://www.businessinsider.com/narcos-location-scout-killed-in-mexico-state-2017-9

Or take an airport taxi, or play it really safe and go by bus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/20/mexico-43-killed-students-

Next you will create another one of your myths, no doubt saying that certain roads you are recommending have a ceasefire declared!

How about another food video, or maybe an infomercial on the merits of tequila versus mezcal.

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 1

Almost this entire thread has been a myth, filled with misinformation, unsubstantiated nonsense, and hearsay, but I think that was the whole point in order to keep it going.   How about some more Mexican food videos, haven't had any of those for a few pages now?
You are welcome to post about Mexican food if you wish but I don't really require any guidance on what to post here. Thank you.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grifbel said:

+1

On the topic of Mexican food, what's the Taco Bell experience like in Mexico ?

Edited by Luckysilk

1 minute ago, Luckysilk said:

+1

On the topic of Mexican food, what's Taco Bell experience like in Mexico ?

Ten years living a stone's throw from Mexico I never ate at a Taco Bell.  Why?  So many better.  Ladies on a line making fresh tortillas all day long.  I don't want to freak out JT but San Antonio is like eating in Mexico without the diarrhea.    

Ten years living a stone's throw from Mexico I never ate at a Taco Bell.  Why?  So many better.  Ladies on a line making fresh tortillas all day long.  I don't want to freak out JT but San Antonio is like eating in Mexico without the diarrhea.    
I'm well aware of how good the Mexican food can be in the US. That's neither here nor there in the bigger picture of a decision to expatriate to Latin America.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm trying not to sugar coat diarrhea in Latin America.  

A good colonic cleanse is healthy...imagine walking around with all that junk inside you.  Don't knock it if you haven't had one food related or not????

• Like 2