Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I saw quite a few "farang" going quietly insane in Thailand.

Of course,I saw plenty of 'em going noisily nuts as well..

Mostly on Thai Visa.  OCD thing.  I wonder if it is better in Latin America?  Mexico is a bit off from my experience but I've never been to Columbia.  Was in Cuba for a while and many of the good Cuban people migrated to Miami.  Hemingway even left. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Is this another one of your rules for this topic? ( in bold )

After some more research i've discovered Guyan has waterfalls, i like them. They also have some mountains, i love a mountain.

It's looking promising, i'll continue with more research.

Thank you.

Guyana is best known for hosting a previous group of expats, the doomsday apocalyptic, People's Temple, led by Jim Jones.

https://www.history.com/news/jonestown-jim-jones-mass-murder-suicide

It resulted in an often used phrase which is applicable to this entire thread, "Don't drink the kool-aid"

1 minute ago, JaiLai said:

Stay on topic pls.

I have consistently questioned the motives of people who start these threads who have no intention of going anywhere.

As witness the previous "i am thinking of relocating to the USA thread or "I am 112 years old and I am thinking about returning to the USA"

Neither are going anywhere.

As I say..my posts are consistent and not directed at you.

Those who can-do..

Those who can't..well...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I have consistently questioned the motives of people who start these threads who have no intention of going anywhere.

As witness the previous "i am thinking of relocating to the USA thread or "I am 112 years old and I am thinking about returning to the USA"

Neither are going anywhere.

As I say..my posts are consistent and not directed at you.

Those who can-do..

Those who can't..well...

I don't have any plans of going anywhere unless Thailand kicks me out because of insurance but this thread has convinced me not to go Latin America, so in that respect it has value.   

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't have any plans of going anywhere unless Thailand kicks me out because of insurance but this thread has convinced me not to go Latin America, so in that respect it has value.   

Why?

Because one poster has consistently shot down the alternatives suggested by numerous other posters?

Gimme a break.

So let me repeat..

Those who can-do.

Those who can't..well..

39 minutes ago, grifbel said:

An erroneous statement based on a false premise.

There was no bait.  And you have not ignored it.

Therefore, you have not ignored something which wasn’t bait, rendering your assertion not only incorrect, but unintelligible.

Bait ignored.

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There are no right and wrong answers on people's PERSONAL decisions about whether they are interested in considering any of the Latin American nations as potential expatriation options.

I think it's great for you that you firmly decided that you personally have no interest in potential expatriation in Latin America.

THIS TOPIC is directed, however, at people that actually are still interested in potentially expatriating to a nation in Latin America. 

Detailed discussions of widely differing narratives about the current visa situation in Thailand are already taking place on OTHER topics that are specifically about that.

THIS TOPIC is for people interested in a PLAN B, out of Thailand, that might be in Latin America. 

44 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Guyana is best known for hosting a previous group of expats, the doomsday apocalyptic, People's Temple, led by Jim Jones.

https://www.history.com/news/jonestown-jim-jones-mass-murder-suicide

It resulted in an often used phrase which is applicable to this entire thread, "Don't drink the kool-aid"

Yes that is a tragic part of history that I am very familiar with that people that don't know about may wish to learn about. But seriously, Guyana is no kind of expat draw, then or now. 

20 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Why?

Because one poster has consistently shot down the alternatives suggested by numerous other posters?

Gimme a break.

So let me repeat..

Those who can-do.

Those who can't..well..

I totally agree that people should do their own research on any potential expatriation destination.

I do have strong personal opinions about what is attractive and possible to me, but as you know, I have said several times -- these are exceedingly PERSONAL decisions and there is no one size fits all right or wrong destination choice for all. Also there is the realism factor. I think the first thing people should do is to look at the VISA rules. If not possible for the specific person, why waste any further time considering such nations as anything other than possible places for tourism. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There are no right and wrong answers on people's PERSONAL decisions about whether they are interested in considering any of the Latin American nations as potential expatriation options.

I think it's great for you that you firmly decided that you personally have no interest in potential expatriation in Latin America.

THIS TOPIC is directed, however, at people that actually are still interested in potentially expatriating to a nation in Latin America. 

Detailed discussions of widely differing narratives about the current visa situation in Thailand are already taking place on OTHER topics that are specifically about that.

THIS TOPIC is for people interested in a PLAN B, out of Thailand, that might be in Latin America. 

This topic is for me.  I was interested in moving to Latin America but as a result of reading what you and others posted decided in the negative. 

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

This topic is for me.  I was interested in moving to Latin America but as a result of reading what you and others posted decided in the negative. 

Good for you!

Whatever works best for you is what you should do.

You are one person. 
Every other person in the world is going to have different filters, different priorities, a different situation than you.

So Latin American isn't for you? Great.

It doesn't follow that it isn't for anyone because, let me check, you aren't everybody. 

I am curious though you say this topic is for you. Is it really? Wouldn't it more accurate to say it WAS for you? Now that you've definitely decided against Latin America, how is it for you anymore? 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Good for you!

Whatever works for you is what you should do.

You are one person. 
Every other person in the world is going to have different filters, different priorities, a different situation than you.

So Latin American isn't for you? Great.

It doesn't follow that it isn't for anyone because, let me check, you aren't everybody. 

Never said it was.  Nor is Thailand for everyone - look at yourself and ginboy and many other posters as an example. 

Edited by marcusarelus

1 hour ago, Luckysilk said:

I don't like Guyana the women have a lot of junk in their trunk. Huge back ends & I hate fat people.

So for now Guyana is off my list.

Apologies for the late edit but I missed the edit time.

I was mentioning the fattie we knew and she was from Ghana not Guyana - easy mistake.

So Guyana is back on my list.

The controversy that won't go away.

How "safe" is Colombia?
This video is interesting because it's in Cali, considered one of the more "unsafe" cities there.

Not only that, the guy is walking alone in Cali, late at night.

He is not afraid. 

I don't think many people will find the content here especially comforting.

This is no puff piece.

I get where he's coming from and that is the USA.

Americans in the U.S. know where to go and where not to go.

Yes, you also need to think that way in Colombia.

From my POV if I do ever move from Thailand, it will be to either back to the USA or to another nation to continue to be an expat.

One thing I do know is that at my income level I would be able to afford to live in a much better neighborhood in Colombia than in the USA.

So which would be more safe? As always … it depends. 

https://youtu.be/Izrm08Zxhrk

Edited by Jingthing

The controversy that won't go away.
How "safe" is Colombia?
This video is interesting because it's in Cali, considered one of the more "unsafe" cities there.
Not only that, the guy is walking alone in Cali, late at night.
He is not afraid. 
I don't think many people will find the content here especially comforting.
This is no puff piece.
I get where he's coming from and that is the USA.
Americans in the U.S. know where to go and where not to go.
Yes, you also need to think that way in Colombia.
From my POV if I do ever move from Thailand, it will be to either back to the USA or to another nation to continue to be an expat.
One thing I do know is that at my income level I would be able to afford to live in a much better neighborhood in Colombia than in the USA.
So which would be more safe? As always … it depends. 

https://youtu.be/Izrm08Zxhrk

Great post but......

You’re never going to go are you? I mean if you were to be honest, you’re a ‘lifer’ here in Thailand like many of us.

It’s ok to admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Your ‘bait ignored’ has been acknowledged.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You must have really upset him as the "bait ignored acknowledgement" has actually been ignored.....or has it?  He may be performing a "non-verbal bait ignored acknowledgement denial"

Edited by grifbel
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grifbel said:

You must have really upset him as the "bait ignored acknowledgement" has actually been ignored.....or has it?  He may be performing a "non-verbal bait ignored acknowledgement denial"

He might be doing some research into a reply he's putting together or masterminding a poll?

( or be on a baht bus )?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

He might be doing some research into a reply he's putting together or masterminding a poll?

( or be on a baht bus )?

It might be a test to see if we can keep the thread going in his absence.  How about this???

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 1