Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

11 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Also if your a American and if you go to Mexico you get a 6 month visa....At the end of 6 months you only need to leave Mexico and come back in for another 6 month visa....Americans have been living in Mexico for years and years doing this.....

I could not find any major crackdown on this.....But you never know in the future......

Considering many citys in America are sanctuary citys for illegal Mexicans I am not sure how they could possibly justify a crackdown of Americans living in Mexico on Tourist visas....

My information says all borders are hooked in a central computer now and that Mexico is indeed cracking down on people living indefinitely on tourist visas. There are apparently some sophisticated tricks some people are playing with that but I wouldn't count on that being predictable or lasting. 

There are indeed a massive number of Americans and Canadians living illegally in Mexico. To do that just overstay. I wouldn't do that but people are. There are of course benefits to being on better than illegal or tourist status. For example with even a temporary residence visa you get a significant discount at hospitals. 

Edited by Jingthing

23 hours ago, fforest1 said:

One major thing that must be taken into consideration in Mexico is many parts are not longer cheap......Example.....About 1993 me and my old girlfriend were in Tulum Mexico,we rented a cabana (rustic but nice) right on the beach for a whopping 4 dollars a night....10 nights rental was 40 dollars......I know you will say that was a long time ago....And yes its true......But Cabanas on Tulum beach now go for like 120-150-170 dollars a night.....

EVERYWHERE use to be cheap in Mexico....

So now I think you have to be careful where you go and stay there now because many places in Mexico now have the $$$$ disease...…

You're correct. Some areas are very expensive now. But other areas that are still desirable are not. 

Questionable musical interlude.

From Cuco's new album, Para Mi.

Who is Cuco?

A young Mexican American sensation (son of poor immigrants) who is becoming huge in Latin America.

Thailand connection?

The title --  Ego Death In Thailand.

Not aware of any explanation for the title.

Artists!

On 8/1/2019 at 12:16 PM, Jingthing said:

But a plus being that Colombia (like Ecuador) offers a low cost buy in to their nationalized health care system which nobody is pretending is at Canadian or French quality levels, but it's still much better than nothing if you have issues with old age and/or preexisting conditions.

I don't mean to be hard selling Colombia. That's not possible for someone that hasn't even been there and even for places that I have been and liked, there is always the matter of tailoring your choices to your personal priorities and limitations (usually financial / visa related). 

As far as Mexico well I have been to PV numerous times including a long stay there. Also Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mazatlán and side trips to smaller towns on the west coast. Yes, that area is wonderful in ways, I obviously love PV, but PV has become overly expensive and you've got the issues of very hot and humid summers, and storms where you need to evacuate like in Florida.

Inland Jalisco I have been to the fantastic city of Guadalajara and the gringo ghetto Lake Chapala.

I was not aware Colombia and Ecuador offer to buy in their health care system. Very good, as none of us is getting any younger here.....

Coffee areas are all the same: very steep, very foggy, humid cold, sleepers -aware of your knees-very beautiful but also ruled out for same reason: bad knees. However, honestly, how long are you going to spend in coffee plantations? unless you are into heavy training or preparing for the next Ironman, people our age tend to live in a village, town or city and yes, it may be hilly, which will be good for our knees, to fortify muscles and mantain endurance. 

if possible at all, can you spend some time (six weeks lets say....) in the coffee-triangle and immediately after that a few months in your choosen area of Queretaro,Mexico, or Guadalajara (fantastic) to compare your own subjective feeling in both places?

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 12:16 PM, Jingthing said:

Thanks for all that.

I actually think the reputation of Colombia being unacceptably violent is potentially a plus for expats that choose their specific location carefully.

Why? The place doesn't get overrun with expats overly corrupting the locals (as has happened in Thailand's expat magnets) and not sure it's related but their currency is super weak. 

Of course Bogota is a massive city that will attract mostly more work/business oriented expats.

I continue to see the Colombian coffee triangle as potentially a good balance between what is attractive about Colombia with a more manageable level of crime. 

As far as friendly people, the reputation anyway is outside the biggest cities, Colombians are super friendly, perhaps uncomfortably so for people from more individualist cultures (Americans and Europeans). I get the concern though and it's impossible to know the reality before spending time there which I haven't. Also as I've said I already know their food culture doesn't thrill me (compared to Mexico which does) but I imagine that I could find ways to deal with that. There are always pros and cons. My more limited experience than you with Colombian people gels with the SUPER FRIENDLY reputation, and in my experience, not trashing their country of origin or afraid to go back for visits.

Also consider my perspective as an American is if I leave Thailand the choices are either another country or a pretty crappy location in the USA and a financial level suggesting risk of homelessness (so safe!). While I was more seriously looking at choices in the USA, I was even looking at St. Louis as an option (lower costs) which of course has a crime rate that makes most cities in Colombia look good. One way I've heard it described is that there has been a dramatic reduction in violence and crime in Colombia since the drug cartel days and the peaks of the civil war days (which may not be totally over). So from Colombian's POV they think it's pretty good now in COMPARISON to what they've known. If someone is coming from Switzerland they are going to have a different basis level for that comparison. Also from Thailand where most people agree unless you're looking for trouble here, you feel will feel and will be pretty safe crime-wise (with traffic safety being a separate matter).

On medical, in Colombia yeah you want to be in the biggest cities for the best options, with the coffee region cities being at a lower level. Meaning you will probably be OK if you don't develop something complicated and rare which I'm guessing is over 90 percent of what doctors deal with. 

But a plus being that Colombia (like Ecuador) offers a low cost buy in to their nationalized health care system which nobody is pretending is at Canadian or French quality levels, but it's still much better than nothing if you have issues with old age and/or preexisting conditions.

I don't mean to be hard selling Colombia. That's not possible for someone that hasn't even been there and even for places that I have been and liked, there is always the matter of tailoring your choices to your personal priorities and limitations (usually financial / visa related). 

As far as Mexico well I have been to PV numerous times including a long stay there. Also Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mazatlán and side trips to smaller towns on the west coast. Yes, that area is wonderful in ways, I obviously love PV, but PV has become overly expensive and you've got the issues of very hot and humid summers, and storms where you need to evacuate like in Florida.

Inland Jalisco I have been to the fantastic city of Guadalajara and the gringo ghetto Lake Chapala. My perception based on visiting there and research is that Guadalajara is not as "safe" as Queretaro, has less of a vibrant central district, and is more private vehicle oriented. But it's definitely a great place. I didn't like Lake Chapala though for people looking for the comfort of tons of gringos, that's the place.

To say Mexico is a violent country is not particularly meaningful if you're looking at a major center of the Mexican middle class -- Queretaro specifically, where the crime levels would likely be better than most U.S. big cities. 

So of course it's not only country specific, but much more specific location within the country specific. 

Jingthing, sorry, I wrote a long reply to this # 1560, got deleted somehow....

I will be very brief here:

Anyplace can be perceived as violent, it all goes down to subjective experience. But let's agree some areas of the world are higher on petty crime or are run by syndicates or mafia or  very corrupted ways that do affect your quality of life. 

Let's see the case of European capitals in the last 10 years...

I don't know how Colombia is, never been there. But I have studied with Colombians have a lot of Colombian friends worked with Colombians before. It is not a "quiet place". However you may build your nest of peace in the right location, and right people around,  agree with you. 

Are you aware that from Pereira and Armenia are most of the "drug mules" carrying cocaine into other countries? That is telling you something about the people ruling the place. Prostitutes go hand on hand with drug lords. And then you get all sort of gambling going on in Pereira and Armenia..... Ordinary people get hooked, then get into debt then resort to "drug mules" to pay the debt....

Economy of the place is not only picking coffee bEANS. 

• Like 2

I was not aware Colombia and Ecuador offer to buy in their health care system. Very good, as none of us is getting any younger here.....   Coffee areas are all the same: very steep, very foggy, humid cold, sleepers -aware of your knees-very beautiful but also ruled out for same reason: bad knees. However, honestly, how long are you going to spend in coffee plantations? unless you are into heavy training or preparing for the next Ironman, people our age tend to live in a village, town or city and yes, it may be hilly, which will be good for our knees, to fortify muscles and mantain endurance. 

if possible at all, can you spend some time (six weeks lets say....) in the coffee-triangle and immediately after that a few months in your choosen area of Queretaro,Mexico, or Guadalajara (fantastic) to compare your own subjective feeling in both places?

The bigger coffee area cities of Pereira and Armenia are not nearly as plagued with many steep hills. I have no interest in living on a coffee farm per se.

I like all the mod cons including God forbid shopping malls.

One thing I really like about Armenia is that being so small the layout is simple. It is more long than wide. The north side is where the richer people live and where expats would generally live. The south side is where the poorer people live. The center is vibrant even including a pedestrian only zone but to be considered go with care at night.

Also Armenia and Pereira are lower elevation than Manizales and thus warmer. Not sure about fog level but that wouldn't bother me as an ex San Franciscan. All have a rainy season.

Yes a good idea to plan long stays to sample however I only want to consider investing my time and money on that for high likelihood destinations. As in high likelihood I will really want to move there.

I recently heard some negative news about Mexico related to their recent political change that may bump it down including the cities perceived as relatively safe enough.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Jingthing, sorry, I wrote a long reply to this # 1560, got deleted somehow....

I will be very brief here:

Anyplace can be perceived as violent, it all goes down to subjective experience. But let's agree some areas of the world are higher on petty crime or are run by syndicates or mafia or  very corrupted ways that do affect your quality of life. 

Let's see the case of European capitals in the last 10 years...

I don't know how Colombia is, never been there. But I have studied with Colombians have a lot of Colombian friends worked with Colombians before. It is not a "quiet place". However you may build your nest of peace in the right location, and right people around,  agree with you. 

Are you aware that from Pereira and Armenia are most of the "drug mules" carrying cocaine into other countries? That is telling you something about the people ruling the place. Prostitutes go hand on hand with drug lords. And then you get all sort of gambling going on in Pereira and Armenia..... Ordinary people get hooked, then get into debt then resort to "drug mules" to pay the debt....

Economy of the place is not only picking coffee bEANS. 

I would be avoiding such scenes. My perception is Pereira is dodgier than Armenia especially if you stick to the north side. About drugs marijuana is decriminalized there but not literally legal. I am curious if that means it would be safe enough for expats to indulge.

I see your posts as sincere and not meant to be fear mongering but overall looking at the sum of information I've gathered on crime and safety there I'm not anywhere near to being scared off. But of course boots on the ground are needed for that area or anywhere before making a rational big moving decision.

• Like 2

OK, here is the news I was referring to. 

Previously considered mostly "safe" from direct cartel conflicts Mexico City now not so safe.

I'm not interested in living in Mexico City anyway, but if that happened there, surely it could happen in inland place like Queretaro too.

I wouldn't be concerned about Puerto Vallarta though. I'm pretty confident the government will remain committed to keeping things OK for the massive of gringo tourists.

Narco Shootouts Rock Mexico City, Shattering Its Haven Status

Mayor pledges to expand police force after killings in the capital grow 15% 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-02/narco-shootouts-rock-mexico-city-shattering-its-haven-status

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what are the chances these days of finding a middle class 'pension', usually a room in an old house with a courtyard with a shared bath with breakfast (coffee with fresh bread and butter) and a 3 course almuerzo in these expat friendly places being discussed...monthly rates...they useta be quite nice (and cheap) back in the day for suitable respectable middle class tenants...

not to say that I'm in anyway respectable or middle class but I can easily adapt the necessary disguises...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

what are the chances these days of finding a middle class 'pension', usually a room in an old house with a courtyard with a shared bath with breakfast (coffee with fresh bread and butter) and a 3 course almuerzo in these expat friendly places being discussed...monthly rates...they useta be quite nice (and cheap) back in the day for suitable respectable middle class tenants...

not to say that I'm in anyway respectable or middle class but I can easily adapt the necessary disguises...

Interesting. I haven't heard about such arrangements. I am aware many budget oriented expats rent rooms in apartments and houses as roommate situations bringing them super cheap rent even in expensive cities like Medellin. But I think you'd have to good for the meal deals. But you never know you could post on facebook and seek something like that out. Such arrangements are great for language learners.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, seasia said:

Hi

Fascinating thread.

Some purely personal comments and thoughts, concentrating on Colombia.

Food. OK sometimes described as bland. I am in a minority here I guess but am not keen on hot spicy food.

Also not too keen on Thai food.

Looked at the Colombia food video a few posts back and have seen several more. I reckon I would be quite happy with Colombian food. Big portions !

Made me smile when a comment made on one food video was that mains seem to centre around beef and potatoes. Lovely, fine by me.

Also read several times about cafes/restaurants doing a set 3 course lunch at $5 ( about 150/155 baht yes )

Seems good value to me.

In Pereira I could also get an Italian food fix.

Just checked on TR

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g297479-c26-Pereira_Risaralda_Department.html

So for food for me Colombia possibly wins over Thailand, no shortage of the food I like there though.

Crime/safety

I would like to think I am reasonably street smart.I do not going around anywhere showing expensive jewelry/possessions etc and generally only carry small amounts of cash. Favourite mobile phone of mine is a basic cheapie, battery life great.

Not keen on smartphones, do own a couple but hardly ever used.

No interest in drugs ( bar alcohol/nicotine )

Some research as to which areas/times to avoid obviously would be well spent.

I very much doubt any drug dealer would have the slightest interest in me.

An opportunistic thief would have a poor pay day if robbing me.

Perhaps similar to Thailand so far.

Except, roads, I am not as agile as I used to be and do sometimes worry about crossing major roads in Thailand ( I am naklua/pattaya based when there)

So again here, Colombia has a slight win I think.

Terrain/climate.

OK an area with many steep hills would not work for me.Even if they have other advantages.

Climate,Colombia appears to be less hot in the extremes ( hate the cold myself but Thailand can be excessively hot/humid at some times of the year. perhaps a slight win for Colombia.

Working ( online )

I am not retired, work online 5 days a week.Only real requirement is a stable internet connection, with the ability to buy a mobile data back ( air card.Data SIm ) I have no idea about this aspect in Colombia to be honest.

Thailand internet drops out fairly frequently on me, heavy downpour or thunder/lightning can knock out my internet connection. The air goes a bit blue when that happens.

There are of course other aspects, healthcare being a big one, Colombia ranks highly on that.

Visa.

As a Brit passport holder I can get 90 days VOA, then extend ( from what I have read )

Easier than Thailand.

PR ( permanent residency ) is not a factor for me, not really interested in it.

I of course appreciate it is important for some others.

Am only interested in a visit/stay a while .

Have more or less decided where my main Thailand alternative would be, just it gets cold in the winter.

So looking for   part time options with nice/pleasant winter weather.

Yeah you're right. 90 days plus 90 days extended.

If you time it right you can stretch it for a year. But that needs to be very intentional on the dates (posted about here before). It's 180 days allowed per CALENDER year so there's the loophole. 

I hear what you're saying about the food.

Surely the beef is better than in Thailand! Though that doesn't take much. 

As I've said before there are some objectively amazing Colombian foods particularly the soups. 

Another interesting thing I picked up is in the Coffee region, "aji" " or some kind of hot sauce is usually put on tables similar to as in Peru. Apparently that is not the case in Medellin.

I'm hearing the internet is more than adequate but if you weren't formally renting your own place you'd be at the mercy of whatever access associated with your place. I think you can test the service as part of the shopping process. 

If not living there all year just look up the rainy seasons for the coffee region and Medellin and avoid it. 

The Caribbean part does get very hot and humid and Bogota does get cold. 

As far as crime one takeaway that I've gleaned is that if you are mugged there is a good chance it will be with a weapon and if you quickly comply they won't have any reason to kill you, but if you resist, best of luck. That's harsh but for me that means taking care with what I walk around with and not carrying stuff I can't afford to lose. Of course you can't do that 100 percent of the time if there is a reason you need to carry more valuable stuff. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting. I haven't heard about such arrangements. I am aware many budget oriented expats rent rooms in apartments and houses as roommate situations bringing them super cheap rent even in expensive cities like Medellin. But I think you'd have to good for the meal deals. But you never know you could post on facebook and seek something like that out. Such arrangements are great for language learners.

'pension' accommodation was popular about 50 years ago in Cochabamba, some folks would only take their almuerzo there in a special dining arrangement, I useta almorzar at a pension near my high school every day and they had ice cream for postre on Fridays with a festive atmosphere, usually it was just some fruit...

but that was many years ago...

• Like 2

'pension' accommodation was popular about 50 years ago in Cochabamba, some folks would only take their almuerzo there in a special dining arrangement, I useta almorzar at a pension near my high school every day and they had ice cream for postre on Fridays with a festive atmosphere, usually it was just some fruit...

but that was many years ago...

I love that name.
Cochabamba.
I associate pensiones more with southern Europe.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I love that name.
Cochabamba.
I associate pensiones more with southern Europe.

doin' the samba down the paseo del Prado in Cochabamba during carnival...too exotic fer the locals and they make do with a local version of the Oruro 'diablada' instead...crazy local middle class dudes liquored up to the hilt in t shirts and shorts using their fingers for devil's horns...they will gore and trample you if ye step in their way with a 4 piece brass band...insane...

and how about 'the last tango in Chichicastenango'? which is a nice place, btw...but may be difficult to hang out as most of the locals are indigenous and only speak the local qui-che...in opposite churches across the small square folks pour ablutions using strong liquor on Christ images in glass boxes and tutsi finds some to buy and a tour guide calls out 'hey whaddaya doin' with that??? it's for ceremonial purposes only' as tutsi stumbles about lookin' fer some coke and ice to make himself a drink...and drum beats and bonfires in the square mark the passing of the night...

and tutsi's beloved at the time looks and thinks 'we'd better get back to civilization soon...'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A detour to the Colombian Caribbean. 

If I was going to live there (instead of the coffee region or Medellin) it would probably be in Santa Marta, not Cartagena.

Why?

Cost of living is much less in Santa Marta than Cartagena.

It's in the earlier stages of development compared to Cartagena.

It's a smaller beach resort city compared to Cartagena.

It seems to me that many people that enjoy living on the Thai coast would be interested in this place. 

As far as real estate "bargains" if you're interesting in buying, Santa Marta may be worth a look. 

I haven't entirely ruled it out.

Some of the downsides of the area are heat, humidity, and insect based tropical diseases.

Other upsides depending on what you like are the distinctive Caribbean culture, fresh seafood, and a SPICIER food style.

A particular downside of Santa Marta vs. Cartegana is that the closest hospital is 90 minutes away. I assume there are doctors in town though. I have no inside info about this but it seems to me that it's probable that as Santa Marta grows they'll eventually get a local hospital. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Not exactly a pensione but there was a member posting here before that posted pictures of the small hotel he was staying at on a discounted monthly rate at a small town in the Colombian coffee region. Perhaps they had a restaurant. If not, it's likely there were low budget set meal lunch places nearby. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not exactly a pensione but there was a member posting here before that posted pictures of the small hotel he was staying at on a discounted monthly rate at a small town in the Colombian coffee region. Perhaps they had a restaurant. If not, it's likely there were low budget set meal lunch places nearby. 

in Mexico City I noted that a lot of small restaurants would only offer a set 3 course almuerzo...chalk board outside the door, etc...they usually had the best prices and tastiest food...mole dishes most days of the week, etc...

the sort of pension places I'm talking about were primarily for accommodation and they'd have a dining area for the guests at half board, full board 'pension completa' etc, not a restaurant as they didn't serve folks coming in off the street...some would have the dining area in the courtyard of an old house which would make a mundane sort of lunch a real delight...stayed in a place like that in Guatemala City for a few days about 30 years ago, cafe con leche with lovely fresh bread for brekkie with the local newspaper, very civilized and my beloved traveling companion from Chichicastenango was relieved...

• Like 2

Jerry and his wife Laurie are a cute old couple that do a lot of Mexico expat videos.

This video doesn't have much new to me except for a few items --

Talking about Chapala being 30 percent cheaper than Ajijic.

Probably when I was down there I only went to Ajijic and it seemed like gringolandia.

Apparently Chapala is much more local but also plenty of expats..

But the main reason I am posting this is potentially some big news about Medicare in Mexico or at least in the Lake Chapala area. It's the first I've heard wind of this but it definitely sounds like something to watch. If there really was going to be actual Medicare coverage in Mexico or specific places in Mexico, that would be a huge plus for a lot of people to choose such places, including me. 

Reminder -- older people and/or people with preexisting conditions are NOT going to be able to buy into Mexico's national health system and if you're younger and healthy you'll probably want to buy private insurance anyway. So if this indicates (maybe wishful thinking) a trend of Medicare coverage expanding into Mexico, this could be a very big deal.

Edited by Jingthing

Ideas to lower your tax!

"Nomad Capitalist" has an old article about countries with territorial taxation, interesting for those of you looking to pay taxes in the sourcing country, belogning also  to an origin country and being resident of a third country with territorial taxation (not taxed unless you make money in their territory):

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2016/06/13/countries-territorial-tax-system/

Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama and Paraguay indeed in the list. 

I think it's important not only to avoid being a "bad expat" but for your own self interest to learn Spanish (or for Brazil Portuguese) if living in Latin America. With a few rare exceptions of gringo expat ghettos.

I think it's much more important than learning Thai in Thailand. Thais for the most part don't expect expats to speak much Thai. In Latin America, the expectation to speak Spanish is stronger.

I continue to make slow but steady progress with my Spanish studies and am always looking for fun videos to watch that have content I would want to watch anyway and are at a level that I can understand fairly well by now. In other words, a pretty low level. But I don't want to watch shows for 5 year olds. I do watch much more advanced level things with subtitles but I don't understand very much so I doubt it's very helpful. 

Well I found something like that for my level, which I suppose is by now is at least a step up from total beginner.

Of course if I never move from Thailand learning Spanish will have been just a diversion. That's OK. Also, if I don't move to Latin America but do repatriate, speaking Spanish would make places like El Paso more accessible as well.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, garyk said:

Safe as a baby. And much more beautiful than Thailand. 

From the post I was referring to:

'This site was a site for the elders and a site where the captives fought against the jaguars, fierce warriors. After the battle the captives were sacrificed.'

Not that safe, apparently. Sure it might have been hundreds of years ago I agree.

Edited by emptypockets

Argentina has just got even cheaper. Peso down v. US% about 15 % after falling as low as 30 % down.

"Argentine President Mauricio Macri vowed on Monday to win a second term despite a surprisingly strong performance by the opposition in the primary election that set off a shockwave through markets, crashing the peso currency and sending stocks and bonds tumbling.

Macri said he would "reverse" the result of Sunday's primary, but acknowledged that a weaker peso triggered by the surge in support for Peronist opposition candidate Alberto Fernandez and his running mate former President Cristina Fernandez would fuel inflation.

The peso closed 15% weaker at 53.5 per U.S. dollar after plunging some 30% to a record low earlier in the day after the primary election prompted market fears over Argentina's potential return to the interventionist economics of the previous government.

Refinitiv data showed Argentine stocks, bonds and the peso had not recorded this kind of simultaneous fall since the South American country's 2001 economic crisis and debt default."

Source reuters, via IG Index,

Steak chips and wine for dinner everyday ?

Could suit a young nomad with a high risk tolerance.