Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To me it's a last resort. At least no visa required.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi Jingthing,

It's only my perspective,  but I think there is a very strong likelihood Thailand will follow most other countries in the near future,  and require both monthly pension income and a cash amount on deposit.  

I just don't think we are in for a more kind and accepting immigration experience in the future.   The ways of the past and the world are rapidly changing.  

I remember long ago when England and France started requirements for medical insurance.   Everything we are witnessing unfold in Asian immigration has already happened in other countries. 

Where is the real problem? It's our home countries not having reasonable systems to allow a decent life if on limited funds.

I'm afraid running to a foreign country for a better life may become a thing of the past.....

Yes, I am trying to have a decent exit plan from Thailand should it come to that. At my level, Latin America sounds much better for quality of life compared to the U.S. I don't fancy cat food or sleeping rough.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Even for the wealthy, I think having a plan to return home makes sense.

The wealthy do not often need an exit plan, since homes are owned on multiple continents.  It is the poor pensioner that often leaves scorched earth behind them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I am trying to have a decent exit plan from Thailand should it come to that. At my level, Latin America sounds much better for quality of life compared to the U.S. I don't fancy cat food or sleeping rough.

Obviously we all have different levels of savings or investments, health concerns or family or personal interests, but in my thinking the issue of a major health event or perhaps onset of dementia or alzheimers requiring companion care and/or expensive medical care are the end game issues that one should consider in this connection. For that reason, US citizens should probably consider medicare and medicare b as backup, and eventually living back there perhaps, unless you have a devoted younger partner.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

The wealthy do not often need an exit plan, since homes are owned on multiple continents.  It is the poor pensioner that often leaves scorched earth behind them.

How wealthy is wealthy? It can cost millions for organ transplants, cancer treatments, long term assisted care, etc..

8 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I'm thinking if self pay, even in Thailand.   Probably at least 2 million USA dollars on hand.

Yup, I agree with you, and it makes more sense to go back to states for serious prolonged treatments in that case, using medicare.

Just one other addition.  One of my biggest mistakes was trying to go from Thailand to Latin America.   It was just more then I could manage.   Coming back to the USA has been a challenge,  but I am finally on track to have some stability here and repair my finances. 

A friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas,  a few years older is considering moving to Columbia.  Just got off the phone with him, and we may go down together in December to explore and check it out.

I don't know how many of you remember back 7-8 months ago I started a topic about joining forces to move possibly to Cambodia.  I got hammered severely,  accused of being a homo, and more.

Folks, I'll say this again.   We don't have to face these challenges alone.  I have done so, but as with my old bro Rick from Vegas and I just talked,  we both recognize the value in working together.   Just something to keep in mind.  

PS. We are not getting younger and most governments don't really care, including our own.  If we don't help each other, who will?

Edited by CaptainJack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

That my friend could not have been said any more perfectly. 

6 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Obviously we all have different levels of savings or investments, health concerns or family or personal interests, but in my thinking the issue of a major health event or perhaps onset of dementia or alzheimers requiring companion care and/or expensive medical care are the end game issues that one should consider in this connection. For that reason, US citizens should probably consider medicare and medicare b as backup, and eventually living back there perhaps, unless you have a devoted younger partner.

Yes, I am not there yet, but I plan to pay for whatever add on parts that make sense even though my primary plan is to never repatriate. It seems prudent but of course it's a waste of money if you never repatriate.

4 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Just one other addition.  One of my biggest mistakes was trying to go from Thailand to Latin America.   It was just more then I could manage.   Coming back to the USA has been a challenge,  but I am finally on track to have some stability here and repair my finances. 

A friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas,  a few years older is considering moving to Columbia.  Just got off the phone with him, and we may go down together in December to explore and check it out.

I don't know how many of you remember back 7-8 months ago I started a topic about joining forces to move possibly to Cambodia.  I got hammered severely,  accused of being a homo, and more.

Folks, I'll say this again.   We don't have to face these challenges alone.  I have done so, but as with my old bro Rick from Vegas and I just talked,  we both recognize the value in working together.   Just something to keep in mind.  

PS. We are not getting younger and most governments don't really care, including our own.  If we don't help each other, who will?

Well, I am a homo as you put it, but partnering up for mutual support doesn't necessarily need to have anything to do with sexuality. 

As a rough generality, women seem to be much better at that kind of thing than men. 

But you need to spell Colombia correctly. It doesn't matter here, but it does there. 

Where do you think you might check out in Colombia?

Bogota and Medellin as before or are you now considering other places there?

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I am not there yet, but I plan to pay for whatever add on parts that make sense even though my primary plan is to never repatriate. It seems prudent but of course it's a waste of money if you never repatriate.

My plan also is to never repatriate. However, the medicare b and supplement are small price to pay for a catastrophic insurance policy that you could never even qualify for abroad (any pre-existing conditions), let alone suffer unknown premium increases. Just make sure to have a fund set aside that would take care of several months perhaps of treatment and recuperation in the US for yourself and any partner. Then, you can stay in Thailand or wherever, self fund all other health care, and self-fund an evac amount or buy evac insurance.

• Like 1

Hi Captain Jack - I remember your posts of a few months ago vividly - intelligent- thought provoking and compelling reading.
Glad to hear you are getting back on track - all the best SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Quick check in.  If I don't report for awhile,  I've not forgotten,  just busy.  I'm just grateful to have finally found a really nice home to rent a private room and bath.  Fully furnished,  four years old. The man who owned it is about 5 years younger then me.  That follows 4 months of staying in sleazy hotels until I could get this opportunity. 

I'm off to the gym now.  Oh, I've said before elsewhere on TV that what is going on is much part of a bigger story. That western (especially American) expatriates in Thailand don't even register as a piece on a chess board.  This report just drives the message home.

This world geopolitical chess match is just getting started.  None of us want to end up pieces in this game.   If lucky, mostly ignored. Finally able to start working effectively a new plan, get back in shape, save money and get back to a position of feeling somewhat in control of my direction.  Cheers all.

PS. Jingthing,  with a nickname like that, duh!  Your welcome in my world brother.  And I like girls.....

US resumes cooperation with Thai private sector....

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30374764

Edited by CaptainJack
  • Thanks 1

As I've said, I'm not hard selling or sugar coating anything. The good with the bad.

Well, this sounds really bad, as in getting much worse, instead of better.

Colombia fears new wave of Venezuelan refugees following recent U.S. sanctions; Ecuador’s new entry rules adds to pressure

A tighter squeeze on Venezuela from recent U.S. sanctions will only mean more people pouring into neighbouring Colombia, humanitarian groups warn, even as other South American countries are closing their doors on refugees.

Colombia sees hope quickly fading that it can stem the steady flow of migrants, even as it grapples with the presence of 1.4 million Venezuelan migrants already on its border.

https://cuencahighlife.com/colombia-fears-new-wave-of-venezuelan-refugees-following-new-u-s-sanctions-ecuadors-new-entry-rules-adds-pressure/

As far as Venezuelan refugees in Colombia I'm hearing they are now in all the cities, mostly in the big cities, and of course more concentrated near the border.

What this means in the coffee region is that it is a bigger problem in Pereira than Armenia simply because Pereira is a bigger city. 

• Like 1

Just now, sekmet said:

Belize

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Former British Honduras. Glanced at it as a possibility, seemed not difficult for a UK passport holder to stay there long term.

English widely spoken as it is the official language. Not for me.

"Fiction writer and retired beach bum Ray Auxillou says he and his wife, who live in Santa Elena in Cayo District, get by on less than US$600. a month, though they own their own home and so don’t have to pay rent. Ray however lives in a back of town low income housing area with dirt or mud roads depending on the season. A middle-aged expat in Corozal says she rents a nice small house for US$250. a month. A couple in Caye Caulker, who own their own home, say their monthly budget is around US$1,000.

Combining some elements of both North American and Belizean lifestyles, you can live well for less than you would pay back home. Health care, the cost of renting, buying or building a home in most areas, personal and auto insurance, property taxes, household labor and most products produced in Belize are less expensive than what you’re used to paying....."

Website with some details of costs etc.

https://belize.com/living-in-belize/

• Like 2

Has anyone been to Santiago,Chile and any views either way ? it was on my short list - then i came to Asia.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I’ve been a few times but back in the late 90’s .

A very modern city built with some interesting anti earthquakes architecture ( think pyramid shape ). Plenty of bars/restaurants downtown and more typical stuff on the outskirts. Gets pretty cold in winter ( jun/jul/aug ) and pretty hot the rest of the year.

An hour east and you have skiing in the Andes, an hour west and the pretty coastal towns of Valparaiso and Viña del mar, the beaches not so great ( black volcanic sand ).

Can’t comment too much on cost of living as i was on company dollars and it was 20 years ago .

Accommodation seems plentiful but again not sure of the cost, we stayed in rented apartments that were really nice.

Well worth a visit.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, seasia said:

Argentina has just got even cheaper. Peso down v. US% about 15 % after falling as low as 30 % down.

"Argentine President Mauricio Macri vowed on Monday to win a second term despite a surprisingly strong performance by the opposition in the primary election that set off a shockwave through markets, crashing the peso currency and sending stocks and bonds tumbling.

Macri said he would "reverse" the result of Sunday's primary, but acknowledged that a weaker peso triggered by the surge in support for Peronist opposition candidate Alberto Fernandez and his running mate former President Cristina Fernandez would fuel inflation.

The peso closed 15% weaker at 53.5 per U.S. dollar after plunging some 30% to a record low earlier in the day after the primary election prompted market fears over Argentina's potential return to the interventionist economics of the previous government.

Refinitiv data showed Argentine stocks, bonds and the peso had not recorded this kind of simultaneous fall since the South American country's 2001 economic crisis and debt default."

Source reuters, via IG Index,

Steak chips and wine for dinner everyday ?

Could suit a young nomad with a high risk tolerance.

yeah....Very High Risk tolerance!

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&city1=Phuket&country2=Argentina&city2=Buenos+Aires&amount=65000&displayCurrency=THB

If you are young, nomad, on a limited budget, and you like dry hot weather, please have a look at Salta (Argentina) and nearby places.

380 USD a month /cost of life for an expat....

Many second-tier-cities in Argentina could fit your needs, now that  devaluation made it affordable

The website is not reliable, I have been checking cities in Italy, lot of nonsense! but is an starting point. It offers videos of each place as well:

https://nomadlist.com/near/salta

The speed of  change is revolting nowadays! Too much. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowballthecat said:

If you are young, nomad, on a limited budget, and you like dry hot weather, please have a look at Salta (Argentina) and nearby places.

380 USD a month /cost of life for an expat....

Many second-tier-cities in Argentina could fit your needs, now that  devaluation made it affordable

The website is not reliable, I have been checking cities in Italy, lot of nonsense! but is an starting point. It offers videos of each place as well:

https://nomadlist.com/near/salta

The speed of  change is revolting nowadays! Too much. 

Agree completely. Argentina is the best of the lot in latin America for low cost living for expats. Great wine, great steak, great culture, and even though Salta is a bit removed, price is cheap. Much better IMO than all these other touted places like Colombia, Mexico, and the other usual candidates.

*just to add, Nomadlist is an excellent source, and not only for Gen Z millenials. Older folks can enjoy much of the same benefits and Argentina clearly is coming on as a winner for digital nomads, and that is something to consider for retirees too.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1