Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

4 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Agree completely. Argentina is the best of the lot in latin America for low cost living for expats. Great wine, great steak, great culture, and even though Salta is a bit removed, price is cheap. Much better IMO than all these other touted places like Colombia, Mexico, and the other usual candidates.

*just to add, Nomadlist is an excellent source, and not only for Gen Z millenials. Older folks can enjoy much of the same benefits and Argentina clearly is coming on as a winner for digital nomads, and that is something to consider for retirees too.

I'm happy to see other people focus more on Argentina. But I've been there, I did love the wine and steak, the people not really so much, but overall I have rejected it as a viable expat destination for me for retirement. Why? Predictable pattern of financial crises. People laugh at them for that. I think people are being naïve looking at the exchange rates. There are other effects that are not so pleasant when there are meltdowns. But even more so, I find the retirement visa process there simply NUTS. To exaggerate it seems like they want to see an apostille for everything, so why not your balls as well. Yes, you'll need a lawyer. An expensive one, and good luck.  If someone has been through that, especially after living in Thailand, by all means tell us all about it. 

To add, not that I'm an expert on Argentina and Uruguay, but I would suggest to people that are interested in Argentina to ALSO look at Uruguay. You'll get the same wine and steak but a somewhat different culture and more sane retirement visa process. I'm somewhat under their requirements but they're fairly moderate so many people can qualify. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, snowballthecat said:

If you are young, nomad, on a limited budget, and you like dry hot weather, please have a look at Salta (Argentina) and nearby places.

380 USD a month /cost of life for an expat....

Many second-tier-cities in Argentina could fit your needs, now that  devaluation made it affordable

The website is not reliable, I have been checking cities in Italy, lot of nonsense! but is an starting point. It offers videos of each place as well:

https://nomadlist.com/near/salta

The speed of  change is revolting nowadays! Too much. 

very interesting site thx for posting

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Predictable pattern of financial crises. People laugh at them for that. I think people are being naïve looking at the exchange rates. There are other effects that are not so pleasant when there are meltdowns.

Yes, you are right, very risky move. Could suit someone for a while ,until inflation or default drive you out for good.

13 minutes ago, snowballthecat said:

Yes, you are right, very risky move. Could suit someone for a while ,until inflation or default drive you out for good.

Also the local people living through such crises are not in the most cheerful moods. Plus it can make banking there even more interesting. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

I lived in LA for many years...am fluent in Spanish. Lived in Paraguay,Argentina and also Colombia. I can tell you that most prices are way way more in South-America. Also level of service tends to be LOWER then Asia..!! I also have been to Panama,DR,Peru,Brasil and Uruguay.

If you want to have a easy country to live in go Argentina...after 2 years of residence you are able to get an Argentine passport!!!!!!!! Compare that to Thailand!!!!! NO WAY you could do that in Asia.

The ladies??? well thats very very different from SE Asia....imho. Very difefernt indeed. Outside...and inside. Its just another world.

Speaking spanish is a must...if going to Brasil Portugese offcourse. However...latin people tend to be much more violent..then Asians!!!! Tell you that.

If have questions..feel free to ask. I will try to answer.

suerte

Hans

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hans007 said:

I lived in LA for many years...am fluent in Spanish. Lived in Paraguay,Argentina and also Colombia. I can tell you that most prices are way way more in South-America. Also level of service tends to be LOWER then Asia..!! I also have been to Panama,DR,Peru,Brasil and Uruguay.

If you want to have a easy country to live in go Argentina...after 2 years of residence you are able to get an Argentine passport!!!!!!!! Compare that to Thailand!!!!! NO WAY you could do that in Asia.

The ladies??? well thats very very different from SE Asia....imho. Very difefernt indeed. Outside...and inside. Its just another world.

Speaking spanish is a must...if going to Brasil Portugese offcourse. However...latin people tend to be much more violent..then Asians!!!! Tell you that.

suerte

Hans

I spent a lot of time in LA, (Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina mostly) but many years ago now. I haven't returned for more than 20 years. I personally love Brazil more than any place in LA, but yes you are correct, can be violent, and dangerous, so you need money to live in your own compound or better neighborhood with condo or apartment security. You can get by in Brazil speaking Spanish, but definitely must speak Spanish for all the other countries. I would say don't even think about it if you can't manage a decent level of Spanish. Overall, for someone used to living in Thailand, yes, it is an adjustment as Latins are more formal. 

I am thinking about spending a few months in Argentina, maybe annually, maybe not, when I retire. The bottom line IMO is that those who are used to the casual and easily livable lifestyle in Thailand will be mostly deeply disappointed with living permanently in most places in LA, unless your Spanish is great and even then, it's just not Thailand. So, I think the threshold has to be pretty high to change places, and that everyone who is established here should really think hard and long before moving, and take an extended (multi-month) living abroad experiment first, before tossing in the towel here.

Hats off to Captain Jack for spending time in a Mexico recently and reporting his impressions. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't really mind an expat ghetto but I'm not aware of one in Latin America that's a place I want to live and also meets my visa and budget requirements. But really you're definitely much better off learning Spanish anyway. For many people it's got to be an expat ghetto or nothing but I'm not going to judge them. This isn't a one size fits all kind of thing.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Well, I probably shouldn't have commented on the TM30 debacle,  but the better part of reason got away from me.  Lol.  Back on track.  I'll let y'all know about Colombia once Rick and I get down there. And Jingthing,  I finally spelled it right! Only took 8 months.  Yikes....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Well, I probably shouldn't have commented on the TM30 debacle,  but the better part of reason got away from me.  Lol.  Back on track.  I'll let y'all know about Colombia once Rick and I get down there. And Jingthing,  I finally spelled it right! Only took 8 months.  Yikes....

I was just remembering my first trip to Bogota for business. There was a request to also go to medellin and remember rejecting this because it was the most dangerous city in the world at that time with the Escobar drug cartel wars and all. 

Wow, have things changed in 30 years.... Now, expats are discussing it as the hot place to retire....

• Like 2

This thread has been dying a painfully slow death since it was downgraded to entertainment.  However, just to throw a few facts (from Bloomberg no less) to the fake news being posted here, as predicted crime rates have skyrocketed in Mexico City under the  left wing government.  So another safe haven is gone for you guys retiring in the  "paradise oasis"  cities of Toluca, Juarez, or Tijuana.  Sorry to be a bearer of bad news though....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-02/narco-shootouts-rock-mexico-city-shattering-its-haven-status

"Mayor pledges to expand police force after killings in the capital grow 15%"

On 8/16/2019 at 6:20 PM, Hans007 said:

suerte

Hans

On 8/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, keemapoot said:

I spent a lot of time in LA, (Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina mostly) but many years ago now. I haven't returned for more than 20 years. I personally love Brazil more than any place in LA, but yes you are correct, can be violent, and dangerous, so you need money to live in your own compound or better neighborhood with condo or apartment security. You can get by in Brazil speaking Spanish, but definitely must speak Spanish for all the other countries. I would say don't even think about it if you can't manage a decent level of Spanish. Overall, for someone used to living in Thailand, yes, it is an adjustment as Latins are more formal. 

I am thinking about spending a few months in Argentina, maybe annually, maybe not, when I retire. The bottom line IMO is that those who are used to the casual and easily livable lifestyle in Thailand will be mostly deeply disappointed with living permanently in most places in LA, unless your Spanish is great and even then, it's just not Thailand. So, I think the threshold has to be pretty high to change places, and that everyone who is established here should really think hard and long before moving, and take an extended (multi-month) living abroad experiment first, before tossing in the towel here.

Hats off to Captain Jack for spending time in a Mexico recently and reporting his impressions. 

Extended, "multi-month" trial in the chosen country is a must!

The worst thing was summed-up by Captain Jack " going directly from Thailand to LA". 

There is a "cultural shock" to overcome, whatever country you choose to go. 

Even if you choose to return to your own country, you will suffer a "cultural shock", after long staying in Thailand or anywhere in Asia. Your own country also changes in the meanwhile....

On 8/17/2019 at 7:16 AM, keemapoot said:

I was just remembering my first trip to Bogota for business. There was a request to also go to medellin and remember rejecting this because it was the most dangerous city in the world at that time with the Escobar drug cartel wars and all. 

Wow, have things changed in 30 years.... Now, expats are discussing it as the hot place to retire....

and, keemapoot, remember that "La mafia c'è, ma non si vede" ("Mafia exist, but cannot be seen").

Apply to any country. 

Edited by snowballthecat
spelling
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, snowballthecat said:

and, keemapoot, remember that "La mafia c'e, ma non si vede" ("Mafia exist, but cannot be seen").

Apply to any country. 

Anyone thinking of retiring to Colombia really must watch the Nexflix series "Narcos." First, it's excellent dramatic entertainment in the HBO long-form gangster film style of Sopranos, and second it's a sobering reminder of what Colombia used to be like, and that there might be remnants still today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Anyone thinking of retiring to Colombia really must watch the Nexflix series "Narcos." First, it's excellent dramatic entertainment in the HBO long-form gangster film style of Sopranos, and second it's a sobering reminder of what Colombia used to be like, and that there might be remnants still today.

OK, here we go. Narcos. Ironically the popularity of that show is a large reason that Colombia is more on the international radar. Yes, it's a very high quality and massively entertaining show and definitely recommendable. Yes, it's about a time in the past. Yes, the people of Colombia have suffered through a lot, the narco thing, civil war, even earthquakes. Surely that history has left scars on many people there. But for people going there, mentioning that show or asking where you can score some coke is "high" on the list of things that will generally offend Colombians right along with spelling Colombia wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, snowballthecat said:

Extended, "multi-month" trial in the chosen country is a must!

The worst thing was summed-up by Captain Jack " going directly from Thailand to LA". 

There is a "cultural shock" to overcome, whatever country you choose to go. 

Even if you choose to return to your own country, you will suffer a "cultural shock", after long staying in Thailand or anywhere in Asia. Your own country also changes in the meanwhile....

and, keemapoot, remember that "La mafia c'è, ma non si vede" ("Mafia exist, but cannot be seen").

Apply to any country. 

Funny that you say that.

I may be wrong but because I've lived as an as expat for so long, my feeling is that adjusting to (and certainly affording) life back in the U.S. would actually be a BIGGER shock than adjusting to a new expat destination country.

But in any case, yes, moving to a new country, even your home country after a long time, is a very big deal in anyone's life.

Another thing in my personal history. A large portion of my adult life living in the U.S. has been in heavily LATINO areas. So maybe I'm being naïve but I feel I already have a certain comfort level with being a minority in Latino environments. But a really bad sign is that I never bothered to learn Spanish back then!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I mentioned before that the postal service in Colombia is shockingly bad. I think things are OK to receive packages through different private services though. 

The situation is better in Mexico. Not great, but better. 

Which means that letters sent to you there likely won't ever get there or if they do take several months.

You may not expect very much mail but for certain things it could be vital. 

Particularly for Americans on social security that are required to both get and send back the notorious "proof of life" letters to avoid benefit cutoff.

Now some people just use a U.S. address of a friend of relative. That could work but social security considers that fraud and if they catch you it can be even worse than having a problem with your proof of life letter.

So that kind of thing which seems minor can become a deal breaker.

Well, I looked into this a bit and it seems there is room for hope of a workaround. 

The FBU (foreign benefit units) for Central and South America are in Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic. The D.R. covers Colombia.

https://do.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

Looking at these pages it appears you can act proactively in this way.

Say you don't get your first mailing. (They do two, but why wait.)

You can then email a PDF to Santa Domingo of the form they supply online and you also must mail it to the U.S.

What they don't say is if they will accept the emailed form if the actual form never arrives.

Later down the line if your benefits are stopped. You can do similar. According to this site they will start paying within days of getting the email. They don't say whether they will cut it again later if they never get the actual mail in the U.S.

But being a little bit optimistic about this, this is better news than I expected. Why? Well you don't really need to worry about GETTING the mail (which you won't). You can get the form online. Then maybe just receiving it by email will solve it. But if not you only have to worry about getting the mail OUT (one way, not two). It seems to me probably the worse case scenario is spending hundreds of dollars for a special service to get a letter out every year. Cheaper than hand delivering it in the U.S. Also suspended benefits are repaid when the issue is resolved.

The difference from Thailand is that Thailand Post is actually pretty reliable!

Too good to be true, or what?

I've been burned once buying real estate abroad so you'd think I wouldn't be interested in making that mistake again. 

That's what I've been thinking but what if the value of what you can buy and the price is so low that it's hard to resist? 

I've owned my home most of my life now. Yes, there are hassles but there's no landlord either. So it's a more comfortable feeling. 

So what would tempt me?

Well, I've heard you can buy a good quality two bedroom, two bath townhouse in Armenia Colombia in a decent upper middle class district for 30,000 dollars. Yes you could rent something like that cheap as well, so why would you buy?

Well, that feeling of it being your home. Hedge against the local currency getting stronger. Not having to pay rent, even the low rent. Hedge against rising values and rents. But what might really tempt me is that price. 30,000 I could walk away from if I had too. 100,000 I couldn't. For others the numbers might be very different. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

About the terms Hispanic, Latino, and Latin America. 
I definitely learned something watching this. 

The definitions are kind of fuzzy, but they are still useful terms.

As I became more exposed to these cultures while living on the U.S. west coast, I favor using Latino vs. Hispanic. 

• Like 2

Thinking about the fluency thing, obviously someone fluent is going to have a much easier time especially in non-expat ghettos. But I think such things can be relative. If you have rough Spanish it's not like it's impossible that you can adjust, just that it's harder. There are lots of things in life like that. Not everything needs to be completely optimal in order to be worth doing or at least trying out for size. You don't have to be tennis pro to have fun playing tennis but maybe not a good example because if you're playing a pro it's going to be bad for both of you!

Thinking about the fluency thing, obviously someone fluent is going to have a much easier time especially in non-expat ghettos. But I think such things can be relative. If you have rough Spanish it's not like it's impossible that you can adjust, just that it's harder. There are lots of things in life like that. Not everything needs to be completely optimal in order to be worth doing or at least trying out for size. You don't have to be tennis pro to have fun playing tennis but maybe not a good example because if you're playing a pro it's going to be bad for both of you!

Fluency in Spanish is certainly going to help, but let’s be honest, you are not going to become fluent living here in Thailand.
Gain a good grasp on the language so you can make yourself understood and fluency will come quickly from immersion in the LA country.

When I went to Brazil I knew absolutely zero portuguese, a few words in Spanish at best, but living there was like living in a 24 hour language school !!

Of course I had motives, my gf ( later my wife ) spoke no English whatsoever, so I had great motivation.
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Fluency in Spanish is certainly going to help, but let’s be honest, you are not going to become fluent living here in Thailand.
Gain a good grasp on the language so you can make yourself understood and fluency will come quickly from immersion in the LA country.

When I went to Brazil I knew absolutely zero portuguese, a few words in Spanish at best, but living there was like living in a 24 hour language school !!

Of course I had motives, my gf ( later my wife ) spoke no English whatsoever, so I had great motivation.

Of course, Thailand is not a good place to learn Spanish. Massive understatement.

When I visited Brazil only as a tourist I had done the Pimsleur tourism tapes and I was actually getting by with that … as a tourist. People were cool about it.

I felt a lot more comfortable in Brazil with the language than Portugal. For some weird reason, Portuguese as spoken in Portugal really bummed me out. Like I had an emotional reaction to it and it was not a good one. 

Edited by Jingthing

OK, hopefully we don't have people that are considering expatriating to Venezuela, but what's happening in Venezuela has already had a major impact on Latin American nations that are of more usual expat interest.

So the question is, how bad is it really there, and is it headed to be even worse?

On politics threads we have various views. Well I haven't watched many of these Indigo Traveller vlog videos yet but this series is by a two week "tourist" there that  has visited different kinds of places including the kinds of places that are used as propaganda to show that things are really OK there. 

In any case could be interesting viewing and may give a different perspective on the conditions there. He's not pretending to be a conventional journalist so it's different than what you'll see on news media. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXulruMI7BHj3kGyosNa0jA/videos

Edited by Jingthing

Some comments on the Panama friendly nations visa --

My own interest in a possible second citizenship is really about residence security rather than a tax angle as interests wealthy people. In other words, no need to worry about visas. 

Edited by Jingthing