Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

Could someone please tell me how to turn off notifications for new posts under this thread. I must be stupid, but I can't see how to. Its been driving me crazy for months (can't believe how long it's been running!). 

Ah, it's OK. 

I just noticed the 'notify me of replies' button under the comments pane. Feeling pretty dumb right now, becayse I also can't see a way to completely delete this post.... 

Edited by Speedhump
Paragraph added.

Another thought on choosing expat countries, showing how personal these decisions can be.

As I said before I'm clear now that IF I was a virginal expat, I definitely would NOT be moving to Thailand and I definitely would be moving to Latin America.

But I'm not that.

Living in Pattaya, the situation with CHINESE FOOD continues to get better and better over time. The obvious reason is the increase in Chinese independent tourists and residents but it's irrelevant to me why. It just is and I love it. 

Moving anywhere in Latin America would mean a drastic downgrade in access to excellent authentic Chinese food.

So to move from Pattaya to the places I'm looking at in Latin America would mean losing that Chinese thing that I really do love.

For most people, that would be a big nothing, but for me, it's really something, that would persuade me (irrationally or not) to be more likely continue to persist in staying in Thailand. 

I'm sure that lots of expats feel the same way about not wanting to give up Thai food living in Thailand. Obviously you can get decent Thai food (or even cook it yourself) in many places in the world, but I think in Latin America not very much. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Yes although I think I that foodwise more provincial Mexico would be much better than more provincial Colombia mainly because Mexican food in Mexico is so freakin' good. There are always pros and cons wherever you go. 

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, Provincial Mexico is great. Provincial Colombia I can't comment on, but have been to Bogota several times and the cuisine is pretty much predictable though good. Mexico is wonderful and very different to all the Mexican varieties available in the States, though most of those are great too.

Brazil is a foodie paradise. Absolutely fantastic in Sao Paolo and Rio, many great places, and many global cuisines.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 5:25 AM, Jingthing said:

On the question of learning Spanish in Thailand.

I am still only a beginner but I'm at a point now where when I listen to Spanish songs, I understand the majority of the words (they tend to use more common words in songs) if not the full meaning. That's fun. 

So by now I have invested considerable time and effort doing that. Sometimes it's fun when it goes well, and sometimes it's painful when there are struggles. But not actually speaking it with anyone here, which is something I really should start to do using one of the various online options for that.

Spanish in Thailand? May as well be Bulgarian in Botswana.

But is it?

Spanish behind English is one of the very most useful global languages. 

Others ones might be French, Russian, and Chinese, but I'm talking about Spanish here.

So if I never move to a Spanish speaking country (or even travel there) or a Latino area of the USA, will my efforts have been a total waste?

I really don't think so. 

Even in Thailand a person can enjoy their knowledge of Spanish through listening to music and watching t.v. shows and movies. 

I also consider it a good exercise for the brain, especially for the aging. 

But I am getting to something more serious now. Moving to Latin America is a huge life changing deal, especially for someone long settled in Thailand. 

There is a psychology of, well by now I can start to get by in Spanish, the time and effort investment has been made, so that's a strong reason to go ahead with the move. 

But it really isn't a good reason to move at all!

As far as actually moving, all it is is being better prepared for a Plan B should a Plan B actually be carried out. 

Go to the Valencia restaurant in Threpasit. Practise your Spanish There and enjoy Paella!

I should mention that for those who love Japanese cuisine, in all its forms, Brazil is fantastic, but particularly in Sao Paolo. There is a large and long-standing contingent of expats from Japan there and the cuisines are on a par with those in Japan in many cases.

• Like 2

By own experience.... South America it is a very good destination for expats looking for a relaxing life, buy only in small countryside towns.

Fun is always next door if looking for sex, not so easy like Thailand, but with the chance to finding REAL love and communication. Friendship is sincere with Latin people, not motivated by money.

Immigration and working rules are very friendly, and cost of living very low.

Not recommending at all to move to big cities, where safety is a concern.

If looking for a busy cultural life and the best food and drinks, Argentina #1.

Looking for fun, love, and beautiful women, Brazil #1.

Looking for everything, including nice weather and cheap connection with USA/Canada, Mexico #1

More recommendations?..send me a message.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 2

Yes. More doom and gloom. Thanks a bunch. None of those worse situation countries are on many people's serious consideration for expatriation. Dominican Republic perhaps but nobody including me has recommended it here. There are some areas of Guatemala that attract a lot of expats. Lake Atitlan and Antigua but not on my radar.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Yet another "free" Spanish learning tool. (Optional donations.) Apparently it has an innovative approach. 

https://www.languagetransfer.org/free-courses-1#complete-spanish

Language Transfer: The Mind-Blowing Free Course That’s Greatly Improving My Spanish

http://panamaforbeginners.com/language-transfer/

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/analysis/organized-crime-medellin-murders/

"Medellín Sees Murders Rise After Years of Declining Violence

Hillside gangs quick to settle scores have been blamed for an increase in killings in the Colombian city of Medellín, yet changes in the city’s underworld are behind the rising body count.

In 2018, Medellín tallied 626 homicides, a 7.6 percent increase from the prior year. Battles among criminal groups were responsible for more than half the murders, El Tiempo reported.

https://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/medellin/las-diez-bandas-detras-de-la-violencia-en-medellin-311768"

Edited by grifbel

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/analysis/organized-crime-medellin-murders/

"Medellín Sees Murders Rise After Years of Declining Violence

Hillside gangs quick to settle scores have been blamed for an increase in killings in the Colombian city of Medellín, yet changes in the city’s underworld are behind the rising body count.

In 2018, Medellín tallied 626 homicides, a 7.6 percent increase from the prior year. Battles among criminal groups were responsible for more than half the murders, El Tiempo reported.

https://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/medellin/las-diez-bandas-detras-de-la-violencia-en-medellin-311768"

Yes. Those articles are from January and February. Readers of this thread will know that negative news was already posted here and discussed.

• Like 2

Hi Seasia,

I think that "re-locating" has a lot to do with age and level of fitness-possibly mental toughness as well.

Different strokes for different folks.

My friends have just pulled out after 10 years in Yucatan.They got totally fed up with the place and re-retired back to Kent!

• Like 2

Captain Jack-an excellent post and a pleasure talking to you sir!

I have been turning things over in my mind and this is what I have come up with..

I am a traveller but not an expat.

I lived for 4 years in London but always regarded myself as a colonial passing through and would,eventually,return to my home country.

Later on I lived for a year in Portugal for the sheer pleasure of the thing.

I worked in Melanesia,Indonesia and India and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but-yet again-it was a temporary sort of thing..

But the experience of being an expat and a "farang" on a full time basis was something else again and,over time,I did not like it at all.My roots were embedded too deep in my home country to entirely surrender to the whims of another country and it's cultural demands.I believe my friends in Yucatan probably came to a broadly similar conclusion.

To sum up-if I was physically capable of doing so I would travel again but I would never contemplate going back to being an expat.The financial/physical and emotional costs were far too high for me.

Have a great day!

Ody.

• Like 2

Was it ever really on your list? Honestly? Your link in the free part shows nothing new that hasn't already been posted here before about the FARC so called reactivation. As I doubt very many of us are WSJ subscribers and I assume you aren't either but if you are can you share with us a summary of the paywall part of the article? Maybe there is something new in that. Cheers.

• Like 1

A small change in my thinking. The primary reason I had rejected Ecuador was the visa hassle especially coming from Thailand discussed multiple times before. But the change is that now the primary reason I am rejecting it is very high altitude. Of course not all of Ecuador is very high altitude but the place that seems by far the best there happens to be very high altitude Cuenca.

This reason is more pleasing to me but I've come by it sincerely. More pleasing because it wouldn't be so great to pass up a wonderful expat option only to avoid relatively short term hassles and expenses.

Similarly for Peru. Arequipa seems like the best place there for my purposes but it is also very high altitude. Though I have a larger list of cons for Arequipa and Peru in general so the visa part wasn't the main reason I had rejected it anyway.

Which yes still leaves Mexico and mainly Colombia as pretty much the only Latin American nations on my consideration list.

OK but Panama isn't completely eliminated either.

• Like 1

This is more general article but it includes some specific information/opinions about some specific Latin American nations. 

Such as getting legal Bolivia residency is expensive and difficult (I knew that already and rejected Bolivia).

That many people are moving to Colombia based mainly on expat puff pieces without looking deeper into it, particularly rising crime rates. But my research is showing some smaller cities in Colombia have less of a problem with that than the biggest cities of Bogota and  Medellin.

Common problems faced by new expats: Experts say do your research to avoid major mistakes

https://cuencahighlife.com/common-problems-faced-by-new-expats-experts-say-do-your-research-to-avoid-major-mistakes/

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, Jingthing said:

Please, for obvious reasons, this topic can't be focused on sex tourism or sexpats.

Forgive me, I think the above is not realistic. Full disclosure, I've been posting on this forum under various guises since the IT Manager days (dirty word, I know). My original membership number was in the few hundreds. Me, like many early forum members quickly realised, some of us the hard way, that this is not the place to give up one's anonymity without careful thought. I took a break from this forum for over ten years, now I'm back, because I find the electrical forum interesting. I work very late on a daily basis, occasionally while I'm downing a cold one in my office I'll look for a distraction and get sucked into the silliness over here. As I'm quite sure you know, the actual poster count here is remarkeably low, all things considered, and the thoughtful poster count even lower. I'm an IT guy, so I spend a lot of time on Cisco, Ubiquiti, Mikrotik customer forums, places like that. That's where I put my thought. TV is where I have my beer, and only because I'm stuck in the stew like the rest of us. The point I'm making is, I don't come here for intelligent conversation, I come here expecting to be trolled by bored whorists, but I appreciate it when when someone's head pops above the chaff, so thanks for the interesting read.

As a near direct result of TM30, I'm looking at options to uproot my family and move on, the sheer stupidity, it's just gone too far. I'm not some sex pest on an extended vacation, I have a lot invested in Thailand and my Thai family, emotionally, financially, whatever, so it's not something to be taken lightly and if we move on Thailand will be losing a family of hard working professionals. We'll see what happens but I'm looking at Australia and New Zealand, but I'm already familiar with those countries. Latin America is somewhere I've never been, so although middle aged, I still have a sense of adventure. I'm following this topic. Costa Rica is interesting, but I'm nowhere near retirement age. Opportunities are a must. I'm a family man, so whoring is not a priority.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1