Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

1 hour ago, NilSS said:

<SNIP>  Costa Rica is interesting, but I'm nowhere near retirement age. Opportunities are a must. I'm a family man, so whoring is not a priority.

I believe Citibank is growing it's CSC (Citi Support Center) in Costa Rica including roles in Network Engineering & Operations, have no idea what the salary is like but there may be an opportunity there for you.

I worked for them in Singapore so know they have an external site with their job opportunities for ASPAC, would imagine it's Global so any roles available in CR would show up on there.

I still have friends at Citi, PM me if you're interested but can't find the site & I'll ask around for you.

Good Luck 

MTV

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I believe Citibank is growing it's CSC (Citi Support Center) in Costa Rica including roles in Network Engineering & Operations, have no idea what the salary is like but there may be an opportunity there for you.

I worked for them in Singapore so know they have an external site with their job opportunities for ASPAC, would imagine it's Global so any roles available in CR would show up on there.

I still have friends at Citi, PM me if you're interested but can't find the site & I'll ask around for you.

Good Luck 

MTV

I have a friend working for Citi in Manila. He was relocated there from Singapore after they set up their 'Center of Excellence' (i.e. cost cutting). I'm pretty sure you'll know him too. Small world eh? I'll blast you a PM in the morning for a chin wag.

Some packing tips on what to bring to Ecuador in your suitcases. A lot of this would be relevant to other Latin American nations, but not all.

While it can be painful to start over with almost no stuff, such dramatic changes can also be an opportunity to throw off the clutter of your current life and have a kind of fresh start. Not that material stuff is everything but it's often the case that stuff owns us rather than the other way around.

Your family is moving to Ecuador but just with suitcases: What should you bring?

https://cuencahighlife.com/your-family-is-moving-to-ecuador-with-suitcases-what-should-you-bring/

On 9/15/2019 at 11:51 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Seasia,

I think that "re-locating" has a lot to do with age and level of fitness-possibly mental toughness as well.

Different strokes for different folks.

My friends have just pulled out after 10 years in Yucatan.They got totally fed up with the place and re-retired back to Kent!

Kent has a lot of potential. I cant see myself leaving Thailand except to return to UK.   Maybe Europe but not relocating to South America or anywhere in Asia.

More on the health coverage situation in Colombia. Most of it has already been discussed here a lot. But there is some major news! To review both Colombia and Ecuador have buy in options to somewhat basic public health care systems to expats, of any age or medical condition. 

There has been conflicting info about the cost the public option in Colombia. Some sources said 12.5 percent of income but included foreign retirement income. So if that was true a retiree with a large pension would be paying a lot for a public system that would really not be a good deal.

However, I had already confirmed that FOREIGN income is not counted. Which is great news for retirees meaning that the public system costs only about 35 dollars a month (almost free).

This video emphasizes the limitations with that system but it's definitely better than nothing. 

This video provides more credible confirmation about the very low price for the public option for those with only foreign based income.

If you're over 62 at present you can't buy better private insurance. So you're stuck with the public option.

That's the big news here. Sura (a health company that offers both public and private plans) is reportedly going to be offering private coverage for ages 63 to 75. It will definitely be expensive! But for many it might be worth it. 

• Like 1

A bit of an update.

One of the appeals of Colombia from my POV is my perception that their retirement visa process appears to be the least onerous than any I know about in Latin America. By far. Also you get 3 years at a time and there is clear path towards more permanent residence status. Colombia wasn't always like that. The streamlining has been relatively recent.

Here is what I recently got from a credible source --

For Colombia retirement visa, you don't need any documents to be apostilled.

For U.S. social security a simple printout of your benefits statement can be officialized at the U.S. embassy in Bogota. (But I think you could also get it apostilled which in the U.S. as an alternative.)

For U.S. citizens no criminal background check needed whatsoever.

There is no medical clearance form needed.

However, I still have some uncertainties.

On the application you will be asked about your history in Colombia. I assume any serious issues with Colombia immigration in the past would be disqualifying.

I don't know what medical questions might be asked on the application, if any.

I don't know if you have a record of living in Thailand or another not western country whether they would need a  criminal background check for that or not.

But so far very good news as far as how easy it is (assuming you have at least a quite low pension income). 

On 8/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, keemapoot said:

Anyone thinking of retiring to Colombia really must watch the Nexflix series "Narcos." First, it's excellent dramatic entertainment in the HBO long-form gangster film style of Sopranos, and second it's a sobering reminder of what Colombia used to be like, and that there might be remnants still today.

Yeah I also enjoyed Narcos season 1.  Season 2 not so much.  Narcos Mexico also worth a watch. 

Edited by grifbel

More bad news, and from tequila country no less.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49704720

Mexico Jalisco: Forensics piece together 44 bodies

Forensic scientists in Mexico have managed to piece together 44 bodies buried in a well in Jalisco state.

Discovered just outside the city of Guadalajara, the human remains were hidden in 119 black bags.

The remains were discovered earlier in September when local residents began complaining about the smell.

Jalisco is the heartland of one of Mexico's most violent drug gangs and this is the second major find of bodies in the state this year.

More bad news, and from tequila country no less.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49704720

Mexico Jalisco: Forensics piece together 44 bodies

Forensic scientists in Mexico have managed to piece together 44 bodies buried in a well in Jalisco state.

Discovered just outside the city of Guadalajara, the human remains were hidden in 119 black bags.

The remains were discovered earlier in September when local residents began complaining about the smell.

Jalisco is the heartland of one of Mexico's most violent drug gangs and this is the second major find of bodies in the state this year.

How many retired gringos in those bags? I reckon zero.

As stated before crime and security is an issue in Mexico's 2nd city Guadalajara. The expats in that region tend to congregate around Lake Chapala which has a world famous Gringo community.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, strikingsunset said:

i was just reading about Medellin again - big issue with youths racing modified hybrid bikes down local mountains roads at up to 77km per hour - why - gives some purpose to their lives!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As long as they are not riding on the pavements like in Thailand, not bothered what they do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Current political events taking place in Ecuador are somewhat disturbing to Farangs contemplating to re-locate to Ecuador. (A favorite among discruntled Farang Thai Residents, thinking of "pulling up stakes" in Thailand). As we speak, Ecuador is on the brink of Civil-War.

Certainily a place where fast aging Farangs would look for an "unburocratic new home"!
Remedy: Live and learn and have the 800K in a Thai Bank. It doesen't get any better or easier in a certified south-American "Banana-Republic".

If "no-have " the 800K in a Thai-Bank, visit your neighborhood Visa-Agent. Case closed!

No guinea pig flavored ice cream for you!

https://www.local10.com/news/weird-news/guinea-pig-flavored-ice-cream-in-ecuador-its-become-popular

image.png.99f1bf80e0c0138b0b8d10e21b2f35f1.png

Edited by grifbel

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

There are still many Americans/Canadians trying to get into Thailand (and some were denied entry) even though Latin America is so much nearer to home.

I wonder why..

Looks like this thread is in trouble.  Maybe a new one entitled, "Expat Deserters beg to come back after moving to Latin America"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, EricTh said:

There are still many Americans/Canadians trying to get into Thailand (and some were denied entry) even though Latin America is so much nearer to home.

I wonder why..

I was wondering what the Top 3 most popular countries in the region are for American nationals.

I was guessing Mexico at No.1 

A lot of Americans there.

"SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE, Mexico —  Spanish friars brought the faith to this colonial city in Mexico’s central highlands.

The silver barons of the 18th century built its mansions.

Now comes the pickleball invasion.

It started with just a few American retirees. These days, two dozen players fill the courts at the municipal sports center most mornings, swinging paddles at plastic balls. There are so many clubs in Mexico dedicated to the U.S. sport that a tournament was held here last year.

“It was a madhouse,” said Victor Guzmán, a 67-year-old entrepreneur from Charlotte who helped pull the event together.........

Mexico’s statistics institute estimated this month that the U.S.-born population in this country has reached 799,000 — a roughly fourfold increase since 1990. And that is probably an undercount. The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City estimates the real number at 1.5 million or more."

Source   https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/the-little-noticed-surge-across-the-us-mexico-border-its-americans-heading-south/2019/05/18/7988421e-6c28-11e9-bbe7-1c798fb80536_story.html

Those numbers are way higher than the number of American nationals living in Thailand.

Edited by seasia
  • Sad 1

Let's stay on topic people, otherwise the thread could be closed.   The topic is "Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes", and NOT the silly straw man argument, "do lots of Americans travel to Mexico?".  With so many American cities such as El Paso and San Diego right on the border, obviously plenty of people go, even driving across for the day.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's ridiculous, Mexico is massively popular as an expat destination especially for Americans and Canadians, Mexico is definitely on topic here. it is true there are an unusual number of temporary snowbird type foreigners living there and also many that (ironically) are really living there (often illegally) but not entering the Mexican immigration system. Mexico at least so far hasn't been particularly aggressive towards foreigners that spending their money there. 

Straw man troll baiting ignored.  Persistent stalking reported  again

• Confused 2

On 10/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, EricTh said:

I wonder why..

It's a fair question and here is my response.

-- North Americans are attracted to Thailand for the same reasons other nationalities are.

-- Some may have sampled some Latin American nations and Thailand and decide that they like Thailand much better

-- Some may know about the onerous visa rule changes and feel that dealing with them is worth it to them personally. 

-- Some may not know about the onerous visa rule changes

-- Geography matters. Yes it's normal and natural that there are massively more American and Canadian expats in Mexico than in Thailand based on proximity alone. But it isn't a total determinant, Many are willing to go much further and not only to Thailand.

-- I don't see that it proves anything at all that some Americans are still choosing to move to Thailand. 

-- There is no agenda here to promote the idea that moving to Latin America is for everyone. It clearly is not. Nor is moving to Thailand.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grifbel said:

Let's stay on topic people, otherwise the thread could be closed.   The topic is "Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes", and NOT the silly straw man argument, "do lots of Americans travel to Mexico?".  With so many American cities such as El Paso and San Diego right on the border, obviously plenty of people go, even driving across for the day.

Well...let's look at this way-the average latino/latina would eat any expat from SE Asia for breakfast.

Whereas the average Thai would look upon the usual expat with puzzled affection until the money ran out.

So..the options are to be screeched at in Spanish -Latin based European language which is quite easy to learn.

Or be berated in a language which has over 40 consonants,4-5 tones and a written alphabet unknown to any others on the planet...

The choice is yours as I couldn't give a flying squirrel on the subject.????

• Confused 2