Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

28 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well...let's look at this way-the average latino/latina would eat any expat from SE Asia for breakfast.

Whereas the average Thai would look upon the usual expat with puzzled affection until the money ran out.

So..the options are to be screeched at in Spanish -Latin based European language which is quite easy to learn.

Or be berated in a language which has over 40 consonants,4-5 tones and a written alphabet unknown to any others on the planet...

The choice is yours as I couldn't give a flying squirrel on the subject.????

I'm not fully clear on what you're saying exactly but in my experiences traveling including some longer stays in Latin America I feel the locals generally expect people to speak at least some basic Spanish even if it's just polite greetings. I think they would consider a longer term expat not speaking it as both stupid and disrespectful. In Thailand I don't think long term expats not speaking Thai are seen as stupid, they know they have a difficult language, but disrespectful yes. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 3:30 PM, EricTh said:

Thailand is no longer cheap, if you are from America, latin America would  be more sensible to live bcos it's nearer.

What is the cost of living there compared to Thailand?

I spent 10 years back and forth from America to Panama. (Job Related) I don't speak Spanish. I thought after a while I would go out of my mind. Some Panamanians speak English, but normally won't. While Panama can be cheap. Living a "gringo" lifestyle will cost you. Getting anything done within any normal timeframe is next to impossible. Service anywhere is very slow. Panamanians are somewhat like the Thai people. You have your haves and have nots. The elite live well, while the others struggle day to day. Panama uses the dollar, so that was pretty good. But, the food is the worst. Almost no taste to it at all. I don't think I would be able to go back and live in Panama. Too boring and I don't have as much hair to pull out anymore.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longcut said:

I spent 10 years back and forth from America to Panama. (Job Related) I don't speak Spanish. I thought after a while I would go out of my mind. Some Panamanians speak English, but normally won't. While Panama can be cheap. Living a "gringo" lifestyle will cost you. Getting anything done within any normal timeframe is next to impossible. Service anywhere is very slow. Panamanians are somewhat like the Thai people. You have your haves and have nots. The elite live well, while the others struggle day to day. Panama uses the dollar, so that was pretty good. But, the food is the worst. Almost no taste to it at all. I don't think I would be able to go back and live in Panama. Too boring and I don't have as much hair to pull out anymore.

Thanks for that account about your time in Panama. I haven't been to Panama but I suppose Costa Rican food is similar and it was the most boring food country I've ever visited. Were you in the Panama City area? Panama City is definitely an expensive place to live in Latin America. More provincial areas of course more affordable. 

You were responding to a question about costs in Latin America. It's a very big place. It really depends on which country and where in that country.

It's no secret I've become very interested in Colombia. Right now their currency is super weak compared to the dollar. In provincial cities very nice modern places in good neighborhoods can be rented for 300ish dollars. That wouldn't be possible (not even close) in Panama City.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longcut said:

And now you’re in Thailand where all is perfect for you is it?.

• Like 2

A generality that can be made is that major cities are going to be more expensive than provincial cities pretty much everywhere. As I've been focused on Colombia the bigger tourist draws of Medellin, Bogota, and Cartagena are among the highest cost places. Get into cities most foreigners haven't ever even heard of and the costs do drop dramatically (at least based on my research which at this point is pretty significant). For example try Santa Marta on the Caribbean instead of Cartagena and save a bundle. 

As said before Panama City is an expensive place.

Costa Rica now has a reputation as getting too expensive for many expats.

Argentina even though I have been there you've got the crazy cyclical financial crises there so I guess that depends on when you go, whether you're bring in dollars, etc.

As far as Thailand being much cheaper, as in Latin America that is location specific but as a generality Thailand has become significantly more expensive for many in recent years because of the absurdly strong baht, massive medical care inflation, and for long term people onerous visa rule changes increasing those costs as well for many. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

https://www.businessinsider.com/latin-america-is-the-worlds-most-violent-region-crime-2019-9?r=US&IR=T

400 murders a day: 10 reasons why Latin America is the world's most violent place

Outside of active war zones, Latin America is the world's most violent region, despite some variations among countries there.

No single thing explains why there's so much bloodshed, but there are several factors common throughout the region.

Latin America is home to about 8% of the world's population but has about one-third of its homicides — in 2016, that meant some 400 homicides a day, or roughly 146,000 a year. But the bloodshed is not evenly distributed. 

Edited by grifbel
  • Thanks 1

The safety and violence issue in Latin America is always a big bugaboo but consider these points:

-- Latin America is a big place with lots of diversity among countries and within countries
-- Expats generally (and wisely) choose to live in safer areas whether at the macro or micro level. For example if moving to Lima you will find most in Miraflores (micro). If moving to Mexico, choosing the Lake Chapala area over Veracruz (macro). And on and on. 
-- There are irrational extremes in the characterization of violence. At the one end over the top fear mongering and at the other ridiculous defensiveness of some expats saying there is no problem at all. The reality in my opinion is somewhere in the middle especially considering my point that naturally most expats choose relatively safer locales.
-- Adjustment in behavior. An expat moving from a safer country and I would include most areas of Thailand and places like small town Canada for example would need to become more security conscious. Good locks on doors, doormen in buildings, not wearing flashy clothes or flashing cash, learning the dodgy neighborhoods, not leaving their phone on restaurant tables, not even using their phone in public in many locations, usually taking taxis at night especially when alone and then knowing the safer methods of getting the taxis, etc. A person coming from a more typically violent city in the U.S. probably has much less of an adjustment to being security conscious. For some people that could be a deal breaker and for some people maybe it should be. It is no doubt a negative. But the flip side in my view is that many people are irrationally overly afraid of Latin America so that serves to keep many more locations "virginal" as far as not being corrupted by an oversaturation of expats.

Now you’ve done extensive research and had great input on this thread ( good and bad ) have you decided when you’re leaving?

Also pls report back with your transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50092641

El Chapo: Mexican police free drug lord's son as Culiacán battle erupts

Heavy fighting broke out in northern Mexico on Thursday after security forces detained a son of the jailed drug kingpin Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán.

Fighting raged for several hours after Ovidio Guzmán López was found during a routine patrol in the city of Culiacán.

Footage showed heavily-armed men firing on police, with cars, bodies and burning barricades strewn in the road.

Police withdrew without Mr Guzmán in their custody to avoid further violence, officials said.

Mexico's security minister, Alfonso Durazo, told Reuters news agency that a patrol of National Guard militarised police came under intense fire from outside the house where they had located Mr Guzmán, forcing them to retreat from the building for their own safety and "to recover calm in the city".

A lawyer for the Guzmán family told the Associated Press, "Ovidio is alive and free."

Mexico's President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said he would hold a meeting of his security cabinet to discuss the incident.

Edited by grifbel

Maybe a new topic is needed to dump all the sensationalist blood and gore news stories in areas where tourists and expats generally don't go?

That said I do think crime news from areas where there ARE a lot of tourists and expats are indeed on topic here.

For example in San Miguel de Allende and Medellin.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Panama remains popular with expats. It's my impression that it beats Costa Rica in that regard in Central America. 

As mentioned before Panama City is quite expensive but there are other options.

Boquette is a famous smaller town expat ghetto area and it's a one hour bus ride to a bigger (hot) city of David.

This is a very commercial oriented site but I see they have an overview of all the typical practical expat related topics so I see some free value offered there:

https://panamarelocationtours.com/living-in-panama#tab-con-19

This lady appears content living in the Boquette area.

Z

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Panama remains popular with expats. It's my impression that it beats Costa Rica in that regard in Central America. 

As mentioned before Panama City is quite expensive but there are other options.

Boquette is a famous smaller town expat ghetto area and it's a one hour bus ride to a bigger (hot) city of David.

This is a very commercial oriented site but I see they have an overview of all the typical practical expat related topics so I see some free value offered there:

https://panamarelocationtours.com/living-in-panama#tab-con-19

This lady appears content living in the Boquette area.

Z

So when are you going to buy your plane ticket?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I assume that the answer to that question really depends upon when 'push' changes to 'shove'.  Relocating between countries is a stressful experience (I know, I just did it!), and surely no-one wants to make that move unless it is really necessary or sought-after.

In my case, my visa was coming up for renewal, so it seemed a good time to move.  But I only moved across the border.  To relocate from Thailand to south/central America? I wouldn't want to even think about the planning/hassles/stress/cost.....

Well you can bring 30 Kg in a suitcase moving countries is rather easy i talking from my own Experience here. but the selection of a new destination takes more research and involves going there for short trips first !

Has the OP even been in Colombia or SA? Oh i now read his posts that there are no concrete plans in his case.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Has the OP even been in Colombia or SA?

I have discussed my previous travel history to several nations in Latin America many many times on this thread (including longish stays in Argentina and Mexico) and if you had followed the thread you would already know I have not been to Colombia. Keep in mind most people were avoiding Colombia in the past due to the narco violence and civil war. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/4/2019 at 9:34 AM, Jingthing said:

Brazil's cities do have high crime but I really have personally rules out Brazil anyway based on their financial requirements.

There are much safer specific choices in various Latin American choices, so please people that come on here saying you will definitely be murdered if you move anywhere in LA, that's just wrong. Totally wrong. 

If we go to the pure facts instead and compare Thailand with most of the Latin American and South American coutries, it´s actually pretty easy to find a deterrent to move from Thailand to any of those countries. As you clearly stated, we do not have to bring L.A. into the discussion, right?

First, take a look at this link: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/murder-rates-by-country.html

Here we have murder rate per capita compared per 100 000 people i all countries. Most of the Latin American and south American countries seems to be more dangerous than Thailand that actually places 107.

After that we will take a look at this link: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/crime-rate-by-country/

The link above represents the crime rates in different countries. Also here it seems like Thailand will be a better choice than most of the above mentioned countries.

Here we have the third link: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/most-corrupt-countries/

This one represents the corruption index by country. Everybody knows that it´s high corruption in Thailand, but compared to many South American and some Latin American countries they are still a better choice. However, here there are more even, so let´s say it´s almost even.

At last we can take a look at the safety index for the common person. The below little infographic will fix that little trick:

most dangerous countries in the world and region changes

As you can clearly see, there are many reasons to not move from Thailand. At least not to South America or Latin America. Just take a look at the infographic. It really looks like Siberia is right on track. ????????

• Like 1

I'm not super interested in Panama but it's still not totally off my list. For those that know that they are super interested in Panama, I wonder about the value of this quickie expat tour there. It actually sounds pretty good to me as a "sampler" and also all the supposedly insider info they're promising plus even helping you open a bank account there, which based on my reading in the past isn't very easy to do there. 

I know that Panama City and the beach city not far from there Coronado is way too expensive for me. David is too hot for me. Don't need to travel to those places to know that already.

So Boquette seems the natural place.

But I think it's interesting to know the other places they go to on their quickie tour. I haven't even heard of all those places so short of going on their tour, might be fun to look up more info about that. 

https://panamarelocationtours.com/tours

Visit the following areas: Coronado or Gorgona, Chitre, Las Tablas, Santiago, Las Lajas, David, Boquete, Volcan, Bambito, and Puerto Armuelles

I reckon for those that are super serious about Panama a cool thing to do might be to take such a quickie tour and then stay much longer in the place or places that clicked with them from that experience. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm not super interested in Panama but it's still not totally off my list. For those that know that they are super interested in Panama, I wonder about the value of this quickie expat tour there. It actually sounds pretty good to me as a "sampler" and also all the supposedly insider info they're promising plus even helping you open a bank account there, which based on my reading in the past isn't very easy to do there. 

I know that Panama City and the beach city not far from there Coronado is way too expensive for me. David is too hot for me. Don't need to travel to those places to know that already.

So Boquette seems the natural place.

But I think it's interesting to know the other places they go to on their quickie tour. I haven't even heard of all those places so short of going on their tour, might be fun to look up more info about that. 
https://panamarelocationtours.com/tours

Visit the following areas: Coronado or Gorgona, Chitre, Las Tablas, Santiago, Las Lajas, David, Boquete, Volcan, Bambito, and Puerto Armuelles

I reckon for those that are super serious about Panama a cool thing to do might be to take such a quickie tour and then stay much longer in the place or places that clicked with them from that experience. 

Have you considered a ‘quicky tour’ at any of your preferred options to see what it’s like in real life?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have discussed my previous travel history to several nations in Latin America many many times on this thread (including longish stays in Argentina and Mexico) and if you had followed the thread you would already know I have not been to Colombia. Keep in mind most people were avoiding Colombia in the past due to the narco violence and civil war. 

What is still keeping you here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What was involved for this couple (and dog) to get settled into a very nice little house in Guadalajara Mexico. As the second largest city in Mexico yes they do have lots of crime and security issues. Frankly. what they went through sounds like a major PITA and one of them is fluent in Spanish. But I think there may be some useful background in their video for renting in Mexico in general.