Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

34 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Both countries are crime ridden pits and Belize is expensive, unless you want to live out in the jungle

For Honduras, I specifically mentioned Roatan, which is one of the Honduran Bay Islands. For Belize, it would be Ambergris Caye, again, an island off the coast of Belize.  Both of these places are hardly crime-ridden pits, and have a large expatriate population.

Unlike Thailand, both welcome retirees with minimal hassle for visas, permanent residence, citizenship and land ownership.

Cost of living is comparable to Phuket.

• Like 1

I always wonder about the quality and quantity of roads in Latin America. Thailand is pretty well served in that area, if you like getting out and exploring by car, motorbike or bike. Personally, I would need to be out exploring a lot in my retirement rather than sitting around. Hence, that rules out many beautiful islands for me too as very soon I would know every inch of them.

Edited by dastott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dastott said:

I always wonder about the quality and quantity of roads in Latin America. Thailand is pretty well served in that area, if you like getting out and exploring by car, motorbike or bike. Personally, I would need to be out exploring a lot in my retirement rather than sitting around. Hence, that rules out many beautiful islands for me too as very soon I would know every inch of them.

important for me is that infrastructure supports scooters,

so i wont have to walk far

There is sex available in Malta, I was there a few months back in Sliema and got ‘accosted’ twice by Russian prostitutes !

Incidentally prostitution was rife in Malta years ago when the British Armed forces had a base there before Mintoff threw them out.

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

yeah Latin America ...  !   In Brazil you will most likely be robbed or shot during your first couple of nights out ....  :drunk:

I've spent a fair bit of time in Brazil, and SA, never been robbed, mugged, stabbed or bashed. Am I doing something wrong?

Dr. Dave:  I spent six years visiting (living) in all of CA and most of SA, finally settling in Roatan.  I built a house on the beach near French Harbor (in my name) and really enjoyed it in the beginning.  There were plenty of available young women who only asked for something to drink and eat, and the locals and expats were friendly.  Security became a problem when three of my neighbors (expats) were killed, my maid and security guards robbed my house, and the police kept extorting money from me wherever I went.  It was a wonderful adventure if you ignore those negatives, but it all just became too much for me. You see, the criminals all take the ferry over from the mainland, do their thing, and then return on the ferry.  If you want to live in Roatan then my advice would be to live in West Bay, which is quite expensive now, but heavily guarded.  After three years there, I sat in the Yacht Club one day and asked a few of my trusted, well-travelled buddies where they would live that was safe, reasonable COL, and plenty of available young women.  Can you guess the answer (starts with a T)?
"Can you guess the answer (starts with a T)?"

Some people can't see the forest for the trees

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

no, citizenship & national health care holds more candle

than all the oil fried bugs in thailand put together.

i'm only here cause my body dont allow that far travel as of yet, and i know JT is waiting on recover most of the money he spent on his condo before he can finally leave

sorry you have to be somewhere you don't want to be... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

I've spent a fair bit of time in Brazil, and SA, never been robbed, mugged, stabbed or bashed. Am I doing something wrong?

The question might be when... I was never robbed there either but it was many years ago that I last visited... it seems to be getting exponentially worse by the year according to friends... 

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cost of living varies by specific nation and specific locality within those nations, and also how willing you are to go local. We can get into many of those specifics on this topic.

You can make generalities though. Chile which is now officially a first world country in general is going to considerably more expensive than Ecuador. In Central America, Panama especially in Panama City is going to be considerably more expensive than Nicaragua. Just an example there because Nicaragua is not an advisable place to move in the near future because of political issues.

I have 10 years of experience in Panama. While Panama City or anywhere near the old Canal Zone, English can be heard. It is not that widely used in the country. Outside of Panama City, it is very hard to find anyone who speaks English. Panama can be relatively cheap depending on your needs. If you enjoy quick service. Panama is not for you. People move at a very leisurely pace to the point it becomes very aggravating. Panama uses the USD. So the exchange rate is not an issue. Rent in the city can be pretty expensive. Moving out to the country or up into the mountains as a lot of expats have done. Seems to be the norm. 

Panama can be enjoyable to visit, but it gets old pretty fast. The weather is pretty much like Thailand. So if you like that, then it will suit you. 

One thing more. I think the food in Panama absolutely SUCKS! Never found anything that I really enjoyed. Probably ate more pizza there than anywhere. Got very tired of Latina music too. But that is just a personal issue. I traveled to El Salvadore and Honduras. Really don't recommend them. Though I had good times in both countries.  

Edited by Longcut
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

I am approaching 79 years of age, my Thai Wife and I take our joy with our children, we don't need Thai killer boat rides, nor do we ride crazy bikes, please someone with an ounce of sense, tell me why we need to lock away B800,000 into a bank account. Don't the Thai HISO skim enough money from every airport, freeway, or other con they dream up get enough money to have to pick on quiet living farangs?

thats rather off topic, is there any place in central/south america you want to know more about ?

what nationality are you ?

my conclusion is, citizenship/permanent residency comes before everything else,

followed by national health care.

once those requirements are fulfilled, i think next requirement is functional electric at all times

Edited by brokenbone

Couple posters are talking about sex and latin america aint for them. Well they have clearly not been with any latinis and probably have to either payfor it or are just plain weirdos or peadophiles. I was attracted to asians at one point. Its pathetic to admit but its true. You get enough of anything though and you get over it. same same.. And id like to add that ive never paid for it.

Thats my somewhat irrelevant 2cents worth of thoughts no one asked for..

best locations are argentina, uruguay, paraguay, chile all with a long european migration history  

wbr

roobaa01

I don't have experience in all those but I can say they have excellent pizza, pasta, and gelato in Buenos Aires. There are demographic differences in this region. Argentina is much "whiter" than most of the Latin American nations that have more people with indigenous roots. There are of course many mixed origin people and also African origin people especially in Northeast Brazil.  

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The only place in S-America I want to visit is Colombiia. I have been watching some Vblogs about foreigners settling down in Medellin , a very popular city for expats. The crime rate has gone down over the last 10 years , plenty of parks and green spots. The only thing missing are beaches, you need to take a short flight to reach the ocean. Everyone are telling me the people are friendly and easy to communicate with.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

best locations are argentina, uruguay, paraguay, chile all with a long european migration history

wbr

roobaa01

Spent 15 years in/out of Paraguay before retiring to live permanently and also bought houses there. With a UK passport we were allowed 90 days in each year. Now, no limit. Possible to border bounce every 90 days for new visa exempt entry. Have to show 5,000 USD for 5 year residence permit. Criminal record check for the most recent five years for every Country you have ever lived in. Easily possible to enter/exit without a passport stamp. However, for financial transactions, vehicle purchase, signing up for services and buying international coach tickets they now request valid ID and examine your passport stamps. Cannot open a bank account without a residence card. Traffic horrendous and air quality foul in Asuncion. Main roads only are tarmacked. When it rains you are marooned. Rain also brings down overhead power lines. Power surges fry your appliances. Water supply is unreliable. Internet expensive and generally poor. Never needed hospital treatment but government hospitals are poor according to news reports. Everyday household items more expensive than in UK due to supermarket monopoly. Large supermarkets everywhere with different trading names but all owned by one man. Endless supply of girls wanting to earn extra cash by providing domestic and personal services for gentlemen. Only limitation is your bank balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 10 years of experience in Panama. While Panama City or anywhere near the old Canal Zone, English can be heard. It is not that widely used in the country. Outside of Panama City, it is very hard to find anyone who speaks English. Panama can be relatively cheap depending on your needs. If you enjoy quick service. Panama is not for you. People move at a very leisurely pace to the point it becomes very aggravating. Panama uses the USD. So the exchange rate is not an issue. Rent in the city can be pretty expensive. Moving out to the country or up into the mountains as a lot of expats have done. Seems to be the norm. 
 Panama can be enjoyable to visit, but it gets old pretty fast. The weather is pretty much like Thailand. So if you like that, then it will suit you. 
 One thing more. I think the food in Panama absolutely SUCKS! Never found anything that I really enjoyed. Probably ate more pizza there than anywhere. Got very tired of Latina music too. But that is just a personal issue. I traveled to El Salvadore and Honduras. Really don't recommend them. Though I had good times in both countries.  
Not been to Panama but my understanding is that Costa Rican food is similar and for me they have the most boring food I've ever experienced.

Food can matter. That's one reason Peru is on my list. I love their food.

I am concerned that I would also find Colombian food too boring. Haven't been but I do enjoy some of their dishes I've had at restaurants particularly their soups. But overall their culinary culture seems narrow and certainly on the bland side. That's a major potential downside for me about Colombia for me. I don't know yet if itd major enough to be a deal breaker.

The only place in S-America I want to visit is Colombiia. I have been watching some Vblogs about foreigners settling down in Medellin , a very popular city for expats. The crime rate has gone down over the last 10 years , plenty of parks and green spots. The only thing missing are beaches, you need to take a short flight to reach the ocean. Everyone are telling me the people are friendly and easy to communicate with.
There is a problem there with air pollution and also because of a glut of foreigners widespread Gringo prices on rents. Otherwise yes it does sound great. However I'm considering options in Colombia that are less polluted both by air and too many foreigners.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

And I dont understand why except that it is close and we all speak some Spanish. Unstable, vicious governments both left and right, high crime rates, antipathy towards gringos, poor driving, lousy infrastructure, inferior medical care, high costs, high poverty, primitive and violent culture. Earthquakes too.

Columbian and Brazilain women are cheap and hot though(as long as you can weed out the ones with asses the size of two pigs under a blanket). However, there are far better places in this world than anywhere in South/latin America

having extensive personal experience within colombia and bilingual i can say there is no lack of g7 standard medical facilities/care available. medical care/system quality is quite similar to usa or perhaps usa combined with europe and japan since new technologies are typically available before they are in the usa (cumbersome fda approval process) . 

in international academic medical circles colombia is a world leader in ophthalmology and typically their doctors chair esteemed international/usa conferences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Barraquer          the instrument for making the lasik corneal flap conceived and developed by colombian surgeons though usually built in germany or nation with advanced engineering. initially by dr barraquer then via his proteges. many instrument used worldwide were developed in colombia.

i had lasik there 1995 at which time they were way more experienced than the usa and had current state of the art german made laser technology

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, champers said:

Jingthing might have to strike Cyprus from his list. On a recent TV news item, I learned that Cyprus is now home to many Russians and not like those we may encounter in Thailand. They have mafia links and are becoming a concern to other EU members as they are free to roam at will. Cyprus has made a lot of money from the sale of their visas.

Portugal would be my pick.

It occurred to me that your post about Russians may have been tongue in cheek, given JT 'problems' with Russians on Baht buses. 

So perhaps I needn't have taken it so seriously. 

But for the time being, Cyprus is still a pleasant place. Just avoid Limassol if allergic. 

Actually Limassol was my least favourite place in Cyprus. Though nothing to do with Russians. But there's a place there that does a mean fish & chips, the fish as long as your forearm. Have forgotten the name for the moment.

So whilst there is truth about what is happening with the 'golden visas', don't let that put you off visiting Cyprus.

There are a lot of different nationalities there having a very pleasant time.

Now back to the topic.... ????

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yeah, right.

But I don't see any farang holding joss-sticks and regularly praying at the temples.  Neither do they know anything about Buddhist concepts nor believe in Buddhism.

Try Pattaya. You'll likely see several old falang blokes walking about with little gold statues of Buddha hanging from a chain around their necks.

The motor bike phone and chain snatch boys love 'em.

maybe visit peru, chile, but only for a few days.  Safety is a big reason why Thailand is preferable.  Latin America simply isn't even remotely as safe, and transportation is immensely more difficult.  You would have to pay me to go to Mexico and Central America, really.  I might love it, and i probably would.  nice people, great food (really great), but the safety issue is not be be ignored.  So many countries in S. America are under turmoil, and that leads to bad things in the entire continent....sure, Venezuela and Brazil and Argentina may not be "that close"... but close enough.  Ask me again in 20-years....i'm sure it's super beautiful.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Any guys  here who have successfully relocated ?

Example Panama? Or Malta?

There are sone members here doing 6 months Spain and 6 months Thailand maybe a combi is an ideal solution. 

I've got a pal who recently visited Malta. His family are Maltese but he was shocked at how expensive it is now.

He is also a frequent visitor Thailand, married a Thai girl and had two children with her but the prices in Malta were much more than in Pattaya and even Bankok especially when eating out if that's anything to go by.

“Not much sex available there for old men ....... which is why we chose the third world.

Can't imagine anyone except forAmericans considering SA.”

Not available for old men, but it is definitely available for old men money. I don’t see it much different to compare to Thailand or anywhere else in the world. It is just matter of price. 

It seems sky is blue all over the world.