Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Just now, tlandtday said:

I hope all are able to make a soft landing.  I know this is a bit off topic but here is a list of possible relocation areas if you do decide to stay in SE Asia.   I am excluding places like Singapore and Hong Kong due to high costs and I am also excluding spots like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh due to high pollution levels.

Siam Reap

Nha Trang

Vung Tao

Penang

Kuala Lumpur

Da Lat

Cebu

Mindao

A number of beach communities near Manila

I think that JT, the topic starter wants this thread to be about Latin America options.

Although I have myself crossed the line a bit, just created a thread for any that wish to discuss SE Asia options.

Feel free to contribute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What some 60 years old 2 times divorced woman from Sheffield not good enough for you? 🤣 We all know why we are in Asia. The culture. 

there is zero chance of me riding my motorcycle ALONE all over anywhere south of the USA border.   Travel Thailand alone no problems anywhere. 32,000 kilometers worth of motorcycle road trip

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wond

Posted Images

The visa system in Mexico is surprisingly confusing.

Look at 10 sources and you'll likely see 10 different spins on it.

So it's not only Thailand.

Anyway, I have managed to glean this interesting info from a video interview with a Mexican immigration lawyer (and other sources as well).

-- Mexico had a historically major change in immigration law in 2012

-- The changes were so big that a significant portion of those changes from back in 2012 have not even been implemented yet!

-- Amplifying what I've heard from multiple sources, each Mexican embassy and consulate abroad may do things very differently. Sometimes to the extreme. Like having very different financial requirements and means of proving them from one place to the next.

-- New info: You are free to apply for a visa, including temporary or permanent residence at ANY Mexican embassy or consulate anywhere in the world. They might not know how to process your request but you are allowed to apply. That means as a U.S. citizen for example, you are free to apply in Thailand, in Argentina, in France, or at any consulate in the U.S. You are not restricted based on your passport of current country of residence. That's interesting to this topic because that would mean people living in Thailand might want to check out the Mexican embassy in Bangkok first. People can "shop around" to different consulates. You can ask them for their rules and if you don't like what you hear, you can ask other offices. You do need to be there in person for a personal interview though. 

-- The rules in Mexico, unlike abroad are (according to that lawyer) very consistently applied. However, catch 22, generally you can't apply for a Mexican visa in Mexico.

-- Clever exception not usually used. You can enter on a 6 month tourist visa and stay the full months and then show up the day after 6 months and say I am out of status, I now want to apply for a temporary or permanent visa. Believe it or not, they are required to process your application, apparently they won't send you to a Mexican hellhole prison, but there will be a small overstay fine. Not for most people but still interesting.

-- Trouble in not paradise Part One: As many know Mexico recently made a major political change. What that means is that at any time the major immigration law changes made in 2012 could be massively changed again. 

-- Trouble in not paradise Part Two: The Mexican government is not in synch with Washington. They are supporting the Maduro government in Venezuela unlike most of Latin America. They are (understandably) angry with the rhetoric coming from the white house about Mexico and Mexicans. What this means, opines that Mexican immigration lawyer, is that sometimes some Mexican officials seeing American nationals apply for residence in Mexico might just not always be fully professional in their processing. Remember all applicants are subject to a personal interview. The Mexican people doing the interviews are human beings. They are not immune having political feelings.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, seasia said:

You are welcome to your opinion of course.

I think there are some interesting thoughts/opinions and also some genuine contributors.

If you think the information here is of so poor quality why do you post?

I am truly interested in moving, using a variety of sources to learn more.

Where else would you suggest I look ?

Yes, of course. If people have sources that they find particularly useful and on topic to expatriation to the various Latin American nations, by all means, post the links!

I am hearing that a lot of this talk is happening on Facebook. I have resisted having a FB page though. So FB links too if you have good ones. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I was reading, don't remember where that Mexico has a million Americans retired there and they have a goal of 5 million. 

That doesn't sound right at all. I've heard the million number many times. I assumed it meant all Americans, not only retired ones. It could also be many dual American-Mexican nationals. Also, many Americans living illegally there. On expired visas. Then there are the visa runners, how can you count them as residents, and word is in recent times they are cracking down on that practice rather forcefully. 

21 hours ago, seasia said:

You are welcome to your opinion of course.

I think there are some interesting thoughts/opinions and also some genuine contributors.

If you think the information here is of so poor quality why do you post?

I am truly interested in moving, using a variety of sources to learn more.

Where else would you suggest I look ?

Why don't you do a google search?  The search "retire latin america" yields 12 million hits and the first page alone has more useful and structured information than the 60+ pages here.

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Not sure you need to resort to name calling and harrassment of people with different opinions.  You have no monopoly on information or opinions and people can post what they like.  If you are uncomfortable with that, maybe you should open up a private website which you patrol and where you act as a content controller.

Name calling and harassment? I really don't think so.

In any case you got the little rant off your chest. Enjoy.

Now do you actually have any interest in the TOPIC here?

If so, please post on the TOPIC here.

Not sure you need to resort to name calling and harrassment of people with different opinions.  You have no monopoly on information or opinions and people can post what they like.  If you are uncomfortable with that, maybe you should open up a private website which you patrol and where you act as a content controller.

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1
Just now, JaiLai said:

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Of course you do as you're one of the people that has come on here, again and again, with clearly no interest in the topic whatsoever, but rather an interest in attacking the value of the topic even existing. To you as well -- have you got anything to post that is ON TOPIC? 

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK. I admit it. I find this guy hilarious. He's got a Medellin channel  and he's also on topic, so here's a taste.

Do YOU have anything to post on topic, which I will remind you is, "Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes" and not, "Americans on Social Security Moving to Medellin".

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Do YOU have anything to post on topic, which I will remind you is, "Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes" and not, "Americans on Social Security Moving to Medellin".

Could you just remind me who is the author of this thread?

7 minutes ago, grifbel said:

It's on topic. Medellin has become a very popular expat destination. I never said this was only limited to posting information about expats in the destinations if they have come from Thailand. That would be a plus but not required to be on topic. But you're not really interested in the Latin America topic at all, right? To add, the majority of expats in Thailand are not super wealthy. Nations in Latin America with doable visas for most that are affordable on basic pension incomes fits that typical Thailand expat demographic quite well. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1