Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

8 Months you have been thinking about it .

Just face it, you aint going anywhere otherwise you would have gone by now

If you say so.

I don't respond to such troll posts as I've already posted multiple times explaining the reasons for my interest in considering a Plan B in Latin America. 

So do you have any interest in the topic or are you just posting to heckle? 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Well no, since you started this thread, I have already emigrated twice and am thinking about emigrating once again .

If you were going to go anywhere , you would have already gone 

Now fully confirmed by you that you have no interest in this topic.

Why people with no interest in the topic feel compelled to post on it is quite strange. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Now fully confirmed by you that you have no interest in this topic.

Why people with no interest in the topic feel compelled to post on it is quite strange. 

I may emigrate to South America next  , I've already emigrated to Vietnam/Asia and England\Europe since this thread began 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I may emigrate to South America next  , I've already emigrated to Vietnam/Asia and England\Europe since this thread began 

OK. Good. Then I misunderstood you. I thought you just said you're not interested in Latin America. I wouldn't call such short stays emigrating though. 

So which specific Latin American countries interest you and what's your interest in moving there? Another short stay or something else?

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:05 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Jinghthing,

I was being light heartedf but in my travels thru' South America my impression was that the middle-class Spanish speaking inhabitants would eat -in terms of culture and education-the average "Farang" living in Thailand for breakfast.

Let's face it-most of them are blue collar industrialised serfs,obsessed with purchaseable sex and cheap food and housing.

Chile,for example,has an extremely robust culture which would eviscerate the average American fom Alabama,the Brit from Manchester or the Aussie from Blacktown-leaving them no alternative but to stick with SE Asia,which is sick of them anyway.

I am glad to see that there is another expat here in Thailand who feels the same way. For a really BIG sample of those type of expats your speaking of...earlier this year i was in KUTA, Bali. Oh my god... the Ozzie Bogans there reminded me why my 10 pound Pom days were over after just 2 years in Sydney and I setup home in California in 1974. Lucky me.

I lived in Mexico before Thailand and yes, generally speaking Mexicans have culture and class and have opinions about the world around them. Not just Mexico..but the world! Try having that sort of conversation with an average Thai!!

However just because Thai people are generally not Wordly doesn't mean they have to be treated with disrespect and put up with terrible farang behaviour. These low class farang here are a big factor with Thailand Immigration and local Thai´s being very, very wary of ALL expats. Yes. Thailand is probably sick of expats now.

Edited by Bournville
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:54 PM, Jingthing said:

You can laugh!

I can cry!

COLOMBIA is in the process of potential major visa changes that for me would ELIMINATE Colombia as a possibility for me. 

I guess I can rationalize my disappointment by saying I would have hated living in a bland food country anyway!

To wit --

Increase in financial requirements (pension) for retirement status. 

It's over my level. So if passed -- game over for me.

(Will the old levels be grandfathered? Maybe. That will be something for people to watch.)

Tightening (more like typical Latin American normalization) of other things, police background checks, medical screening of some kind, etc.

So super easy almost too good to be true -- well, it was. 

Will see the specifics of the law if passed, but likely means no Colombia for me. I have obviously been most interested in Colombia. 

So that does leave some choices in Latin America that I am less excited about that I can still financially qualify for in order of highest to lowest interest --

Mexico

Ecuador

Panama

Peru

I still remain unclear on the Mexican retirement visa specific process but I think it can be handled by showing money in the bank in a similar way to Thailand but with an eventual path towards permanent residence (unlike Thailand). 

Ecuador with previous mentioned pros and cons does offer the buy in to their national health system but I don't think it's as good as in Colombia (and more serious financial issues as well). 

Apply for a Temporary Resident visa at a MX consul in any country you reside in. Wait 4 years.. You automatically get your permanent resident status, which is what I already have. The financial requirements I haven't kept up with.. 1400 USD per month maybe? 

5 hours ago, Bournville said:

Apply for a Temporary Resident visa at a MX consul in any country you reside in. Wait 4 years.. You automatically get your permanent resident status, which is what I already have. The financial requirements I haven't kept up with.. 1400 USD per month maybe? 

Hi there.

Cool. You definitely know something about this.

I'm under the Mexican pension level but they have a show money option for temporary (and even permanent). Something like 30K USD which is coincidentally close to 800K baht. So you got your temporary thing first year, but then after that you need to reapply every year for the next four years, right? In Mexico? What did you need besides the financial requirements? Did you need police background reports from home country and Thailand (if you lived in Thailand) or any other expat country you've been living in? 

Tragic news from Nothern Mexico.

I'll post this proactively as if I don't someone else will probably to suggest that Mexico in general is too dangerous for expats.

But usual expats wouldn't be moving anywhere near where this happened and they were from a dual citizen Mormon community that had a history of conflict with the drug cartels. 

That said this will be a big news story going forward and as indicated in the link, will likely have an impact on U.S. - Mexico relations in general.

Nine members of Mormon family with U.S. citizenship killed in attack in northern Mexico; Trump offers military support

MEXICO CITY — Assailants have killed at least nine members of a Mormon family in northern Mexico, authorities reported Tuesday, burning alive a woman and her children in a brutal assault that highlighted the growing danger posed by organized-crime groups around the country.

Alfonso Durazo, the minister of public security, told a news conference that the victims were three women and six children. They were part of a community of dual U.S.-Mexican citizens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/at-least-seven-members-of-mormon-family-brutally-killed-in-northern-mexico/2019/11/05/d303e448-ffbb-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html

Gringo expat beaten up in Loja Ecuador in a case of racist expat backlash. I think incidents like this are very rare in Latin America. Not so much general crime or violence but racist attacks per se.

Loja, Ecuador: U.S. expat harrassed for being a gringo, attacked with blow to the head

HATE CRIME AGAINST GRINGO IN LOJA ECUADOR

U.S. Citizen told to get out of the country, Ecuador is not for them but for Ecuadorians,

http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/loja-ecuador-u-s-expat-harrassed-for-being-a-gringo-attacked-with-blow-to-the-head/38449/

But perhaps an attack like this reveals a deeper vein of fear and hostility. The thing is Loja despite some predictions has not yet (and maybe never) become a major gringo expat destination. Understandably a lot of locals want to keep it that. Many people of Loja being between expat draws of Cuenca and Vilcabamba may want to keep it that way.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Another overview about choosing destinations in Mexico. As I've said before the larger higher altitude mild weather inland (though not biggest) cities of Queretaro and Puebla/Cholula that interest me are mentioned. She mentions air pollution issues that may be concerning.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

You want luxury malls? Queretaro has you covered. Ironically this vlogger couple that did many excellent videos about Queretaro are now in Asia. The UK man working in China and his Mexican wife vlogging last I checked in Vietnam! As I've mentioned before there DOES seem to be a good bit of jumping between Asia and Latin America, both ways.

• Thanks 1

I recall someone mentioned watching Simon Reeve's The Americas BBC series as reason NOT to move to Latin America.

After watching the first part of (the second part is coming next year I assume) I didn't get that from the program.

It's quite good and worth watching. His focus seems to mainly about big topics like:

Man's overexploitation of the earth, harming the earth and ultimately ourselves

Migration, south to north. Of course the topic here is more like north to south

Global climate change and it's direct relationship to migration.

The first 5 part series travels from the far Artic north down through Canada, the western USA, three parts of Mexico, and then Belize, Guatamala, El Salvador and Costa Rica.

He won't be getting into South America until the next part.

So here is my reaction to the program from the angle of people considering expatriation to Latin America. So starting in Mexico.

He first shows Reynosa a northern border region probably more dangerous than active war zones.

Don't move there!

Then coincidentally he goes to Puebla (a city high on my interest list) but instead of showing the touristic colonial old city, he shows the industrial might of the VW factory supporting a vast middle class for Mexican people there.

Then he goes to Southern Mexico, exploring indigenous political and economic grievances.

Then off to Belize which he describes as a poor but stable English speaking country. No surprise there are many expats there.

Then off to Guatamala a country with big problems and even famine related to global climate change fueling desperate migration north. (That said, there are pockets of expats in Guatamala.)

Then off to El Salvador showing the horrible gang violence in San Salvador ironically sparked by gang members that were deported from the USA!

Then Costa Rica, a major expat destination for many decades portraying it as a stable no military ecological paradise. where the local people live quite well. Costa Rica relies heavily on TOURISM. 

He didn't go to Panama.

I do wonder why Costa Rica (and presumably Panama) is doing so relatively well while Honduras, Guatamala, and El Salvador are doing so poorly as they are in the same Central American region presumably impacted by the same climate changes.

Anyway, from an expat POV, nothing at all surprising. 

Everyone should already know that Northern Mexico is for the most part off limits as an expat destination (cartel violence) and also Honduras and El Salvador.

On the other hand PARTS of Mexico, Belize, and Costa Rica remain on many people's lists.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recall someone mentioned watching Simon Reeve's The Americas BBC series as reason NOT to move to Latin America.

You aren't moving there anyway. This thread is 122 pages of nothing. We had one guy that went to Mexico City and got stressed out by Chardonnay and Greek Salads. The level of alert has gone way up as well, lately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

You aren't moving there anyway. This thread is 122 pages of nothing. We had one guy that went to Mexico City and got stressed out by Chardonnay and Greek Salads. The level of alert has gone way up as well, lately.

Easy to attack.

The OP has never stated that he is definitely moving to a LATAM country.

Note the " considering " word used in the title.

The poster who went to Mexico at least provided some useful insight.

If you consider the thread to be 122 pages of nothing why are you even reading ?

I have found it interesting from the start.

Have several friends with experience of the region.

None of them would even think of posting  here in such a toxic environment.

Another for the growing ignore list.

• Like 2

A bit of a followup on the horrible massacre of the Mormon dual nationality families in Northern Mexico by cartels particularly how such things relate to expats.

The surviving families are reportedly repatriating back to the USA. But they've been in Mexico for decades so that won't be so easy. I saw an interview with one of them saying he and his family have no place to go now in the USA but they're still going. 

I reckon a lot of repatriating expats from Thailand especially if they've been here for decades are in similar situations (with the difficult repatriations, not the massacre).

Jerry Brown Travels has an interesting story about what happened to them some years back in the expat haven area of Ajijic (Lake Chapala). So yes even safer areas can potentially be it by the cartel violence. But as Jerry says the Mexican government ultimately protects certain areas that are heavy with tourists and/or expats.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, Bournville said:

I fly BKK to Mexico city on China Southern. Check my 2x 23kg suitcases on one end and see them again at my final destination. About 700 usd each way.. Time of year and direction are factors. 

Then from MEX to CO. That's the only way I know of. 

Checking the East route to Argentina....

Skyscanner allows such a search in Multi-destination setting....

So, I have to split the journey....

Lets'say HKT (Phuket)-SYD (Sydney)

SYD-BUE (Buenos Aires) 

Results in a 30 hour trip for 80,000 Baht, return fare, leaving in Dec coming back in Feb. 

So-so airlines: Air Asia, Air Asia X and LATAM (??) 

Same from BKK, but with Qantas:

BKK-SYD (13 hs)

SYD-BUE(22 hs)

77,000Baht.

Perhaps there are better options to fly East, but no aware of. Usually I input SCL, as Chile offers more options than Argentina, and it is a quick jump, anyway....

Hopper is full of searches, from KL, from HK, from HKT, from BKK. Christmas is in the air, and fares are High, whatever direction one may decide to take. 

Charges for changes are also very high, and with the uncertainty I am facing, I will get a one-way-ticket this time. 

No cheap.

• Like 1