Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

4 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Gambia/Senegal/ Guinea Bissau.

Can you speak french / portuguese?

i've been to several west african countries, found ghana about the most civilised but would still never consider living there.

Colombia now joining the South American protest club. But so far mostly peaceful and joyous. Apparently it's happening in cities across the county. Of course tunnel vision me is hoping the government there will be too busy dealing with serious stuff to bother raising financial requirements for retired expats. 

https://colombiareports.com/colombias-anti-government-protests-overwhelming-peaceful-and-joyful/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Has anybody here had any experience with the Mexican Embassy in Bangkok?

In general, are they friendly and easy to work with, and in particular, did you apply for a visa with them and if so, how did the process go for you (was it smooth, were you able to get it in one visit/interview, etc)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

I hear Queretaro mexico is a decent place to live according to expatistan.com cheaper cost of living than 50% of the cities in Mexico and cheaper than 59% of other latin american cities.

Also I hear Akumal and Playa del Carmen are decent places for retirement. Akumal is about 25 miles from Carmen, much smaller, and fewer restaurants and bars. Carmen is a larger tourist destination so rents are much higher.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, wpcoe said:

Has anybody here had any experience with the Mexican Embassy in Bangkok?

In general, are they friendly and easy to work with, and in particular, did you apply for a visa with them and if so, how did the process go for you (was it smooth, were you able to get it in one visit/interview, etc)?

That's an excellent question. What kind of visa are you seeking? I wonder these things --

Does the Thai staff handling visas speak English and/or Spanish?

Will they even process temporary or permanent residence applications for non-Thais or will they suggest go back to your home country to apply?

6 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Also I hear Akumal and Playa del Carmen are decent places for retirement. Akumal is about 25 miles from Carmen, much smaller, and fewer restaurants and bars. Carmen is a larger tourist destination so rents are much higher.

Yes Playa del Carmen is considered a more pricey destination in Mexico. But Queretaro and Puebla aren't the cheapest places either.

Nomad Capitalist guy comments on how people tend to overreact to protests in different countries. He's focused on great cities in the various countries and isn't big on provincial places as he's focused and business on investments. There is an interesting anecdotal story of how an expat benefited from people panicking over the previous big problems in Bangkok (for those that were here then or remember). 

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's an excellent question. What kind of visa are you seeking? I wonder these things --

Does the Thai staff handling visas speak English and/or Spanish?

Will they even process temporary or permanent residence applications for non-Thais or will they suggest go back to your home country to apply?

I want to apply for Residente Permanente.  Even if I don't exit Thailand permanently, I've been spending enough time there to justify a Residente visa, and can then open a bank account there.  (They pay 7% interest.)

I sent an e-mail to the Mexico Embassy in Bangkok, since their web pages don't list the Residente Permanente or Temporal visas.

If they don't, I'll just apply in Las Vegas next time I'm there visiting family.

• Like 2

The e-mails I've received from the Mexican Embassy in Bangkok are in perfect English, but I'm not optimistic about getting a visa there since the process seems adapted to Thailand and local procedures.  I made an appointment for mid-December to see if maybe a visa application can be approved. 

Part of the instructions for documents to prove eligibility:

Bank statement with the account balances and movements for the past twelve months. 

• Must be original document
  • Must be issued from the bank with signature and seal (E-signature is not acceptable)
  • Must specify currency
  • Please make sure that your name on the bank statement matches that on your passport

○ Original Income Affidavit from your Embassy.

My U.S. bank doesn't issue paper statements; they are only available as .PDF downloads.  Is that considered an "original document"?  (My guess is no.)

There would be no signature nor seal on the printout.  (Do Western banks even have official seals?)

Must specify currency?  A US bank assumes everyone knows it's USD. 

My passport has my middle name, whereas my bank accounts only use an initial. 

"Original income Affidavit" from the US Embassy?  Dream on.

I pointed out to them that the US Embassy no longer issues affidavit letters:

"We are aware that the US Embassy no longer provides income affidavits. However, until you submit your application with the supporting documents, will we be able to tell if you’re eligible to apply here in Bangkok considering the fact that your income evidence was not issued within our diplomatic jurisdiction."

That part in red is my concern.  My income evidence not being issued within their diplomatic jurisdiction (i.e. Thailand) may be an issue.

No mention was made in e-mail or on the web site about the alternative qualification by using investments.  However, since my Fidelity statements also are all downloaded .PDF files, I'm not sure they'd work either.  I am taking printouts of both my bank's .PDF statements and Fidelity's .PDF statements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:36 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes Playa del Carmen is considered a more pricey destination in Mexico. But Queretaro and Puebla aren't the cheapest places either.

If you wanna stay in Querétaro you can just stay in the US

5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

The e-mails I've received from the Mexican Embassy in Bangkok are in perfect English, but I'm not optimistic about getting a visa there since the process seems adapted to Thailand and local procedures.  I made an appointment for mid-December to see if maybe a visa application can be approved. 

Part of the instructions for documents to prove eligibility:

My U.S. bank doesn't issue paper statements; they are only available as .PDF downloads.  Is that considered an "original document"?  (My guess is no.)

There would be no signature nor seal on the printout.  (Do Western banks even have official seals?)

Must specify currency?  A US bank assumes everyone knows it's USD. 

My passport has my middle name, whereas my bank accounts only use an initial. 

"Original income Affidavit" from the US Embassy?  Dream on.

I pointed out to them that the US Embassy no longer issues affidavit letters:

"We are aware that the US Embassy no longer provides income affidavits. However, until you submit your application with the supporting documents, will we be able to tell if you’re eligible to apply here in Bangkok considering the fact that your income evidence was not issued within our diplomatic jurisdiction."

That part in red is my concern.  My income evidence not being issued within their diplomatic jurisdiction (i.e. Thailand) may be an issue.

No mention was made in e-mail or on the web site about the alternative qualification by using investments.  However, since my Fidelity statements also are all downloaded .PDF files, I'm not sure they'd work either.  I am taking printouts of both my bank's .PDF statements and Fidelity's .PDF statements.

Thanks. That's kind of what I expected. In fact I'm surprised there even entertaining an application from a U.S. national at all. Maybe this doesn't apply to you but I wonder if a person could get temporary residence based on a Thai bank account. The typical 800K would be similar to the requirement and Thai banks can probably print out monthly statements going back a year and have an officer fancy stamp it. I assume most people don't have enough in their Thai bank account to qualify for the permanent level though. I think once you get the visa you need to enter Mexico within 6 months.

So they didn't ask for any police record documents (Thai and/or U.S.) or health forms?

On 12/1/2019 at 11:35 PM, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Been to and through Jaco 5 or 6 times.  My take is it is a party/monger destination.  But its been 4 or 5 years since I was last there maybe things have changed.

It probably still is. 

On 12/2/2019 at 5:17 AM, wpcoe said:

I want to apply for Residente Permanente.  Even if I don't exit Thailand permanently, I've been spending enough time there to justify a Residente visa, and can then open a bank account there.  (They pay 7% interest.)

I sent an e-mail to the Mexico Embassy in Bangkok, since their web pages don't list the Residente Permanente or Temporal visas.

If they don't, I'll just apply in Las Vegas next time I'm there visiting family.

I've mentioned this before but it's a long thread. There are Mexican consulates all over the U.S. and they notoriously (or fortunately) have a reputation of having wildly different requirements. Apparently the one in Laredo Texas is the one with the most liberal reputation. Like not really caring to look at anywhere near 12 months of back records. Like accepting 1000 USD per month income as adequate when that is actually well under the official requirement. So shopping around for a consulate that works for people is definitely a thing in the case of Mexico residency visas.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've mentioned this before but it's a long thread. There are Mexican consulates all over the U.S. and they notoriously (or fortunately) have a reputation of having wildly different requirements. Apparently the one in Laredo Texas is the one with the most liberal reputation. Like not really caring to look at anywhere near 12 months of back records. Like accepting 1000 USD per month income as adequate when that is actually well under the official requirement. So shopping around for a consulate that works for people is definitely a thing in the case of Mexico residency visas.

Yes, there are consulates in the USA that are más acomodadizo than others.  I'm in a Facebook group that's been helpful in sorting things out.  I just thought I'd try it here before I left since I have buckets of time to spare.

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So they didn't ask for any police record documents (Thai and/or U.S.) or health forms?

No.

Edited by wpcoe
add second reply
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Yes, there are consulates in the USA that are más acomodadizo than others.  I'm in a Facebook group that's been helpful in sorting things out.  I just thought I'd try it here before I left since I have buckets of time to spare.

Did you mention before where in Mexico you've been hanging out and will move to? Perhaps you don't want to say which is obviously cool. God forbid a Mexican place get flooded with ex-Thailand expats!

On 11/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, seasia said:

Jaco looks lovely.

LOL.  Fake news. Jaco is not that nice.  Dirty, black sand, covered in stones, and terrible undertow with beach break for swimmers.  Guanacaste is where the nice beaches are.  Jaco also attracts a lower end local demographic due to its proximity to the capital city. 

Edited by grifbel

52 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If me and some of the regular guys here give you a one way ticket Bangkok-Mexico would you accept this gift and go?

LOL.  Brilliant.  Post of thread!  Am guessing you would have to throw in a financial stipend spread out over a number of years as well!

3 hours ago, grifbel said:

LOL.  Brilliant.  Post of thread!  Am guessing you would have to throw in a financial stipend spread out over a number of years as well!

Perhaps regretfully this is not an appropriate platform for people to offer personal donations and such like. For generous people with money burning a hole in  their pockets may  I suggest sites like gofundme? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grifbel said:

LOL.  Fake news. Jaco is not that nice.  Dirty, black sand, covered in stones, and terrible undertow with beach break for swimmers.  Guanacaste is where the nice beaches are.  Jaco also attracts a lower end local demographic due to its proximity to the capital city. 

I'm not surprised by that. But to sample a bit of the Caribbean culture on the mainland has an appeal to tourists. 

On 12/2/2019 at 12:35 AM, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Been to and through Jaco 5 or 6 times.  My take is it is a party/monger destination.  But its been 4 or 5 years since I was last there maybe things have changed.

Pizza place reminds me of one in Cebu (Near IT Park) which is basically like a Subway where you go along picking your base, sauce, meat, veggies etc... to make it exactly how you want it.

Far too dangerous (for the waistline) to live anywhere near a place like that!

We've had a lot of intentionally scaremongering posts over the course of this thread about crime and violence in specific countries in Latin America. I've been careful to point out that people should calm down and DIFFERENTIATE between the crime problems that are likely to impact expats in the specific places that they may be living VS. other places where expats generally and correctly fear to tread. For example the Pacific coast of Colombia has extremely high crime and I've never even heard of a typical expat moving there.

HOWEVER, I have come across a news story that I am taking a lot more seriously. About cartel control in San Miguel de Allende of all places!

I've had the feeling there are some places in Mexico where it's not rational to be very afraid of cartels. I still think there are such places. But if San Miguel de Allende can be impacted this way, I now am wondering if anyplace in Mexico is really immune any more. 

Yes, even Queretaro City. 

https://cuencahighlife.com/drug-cartels-move-into-mexican-town-popular-with-u-s-and-canadian-expats/

Drug cartels move into Mexican town popular with U.S. and Canadian expats

Good old Jerry, vlogger expat in Mexico, shares the recent results of yet another best places to retire abroad findings. Some interesting details:

The TOP 5 are all in Latin America!

Mexico is number one!

Nicaragua is in the top ten! (Has it improved recently?)

Thailand has declined to be OFF the top ten. (No surprise.)

1 - Mexico

2 - Panama

3 - Ecuador

4 - Costa Rica

5 - Colombia

6 - Malaysia

7 - Spain

8 - Nicaragua

12 - Thailand

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1