Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What some 60 years old 2 times divorced woman from Sheffield not good enough for you? 🤣 We all know why we are in Asia. The culture. 

there is zero chance of me riding my motorcycle ALONE all over anywhere south of the USA border.   Travel Thailand alone no problems anywhere. 32,000 kilometers worth of motorcycle road trip

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wond

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Just admit it-you are not going anywhere..

The same as your thread "I am thinking about relocating to the USA" three years ago.

The same as the "I am 112 years old and I am thinking about going back to America" poster of more recent times.

I can't predict the future. I have determined that I would be better off moving to another expat country rather than repatriating. Repatriation is always a backup option for all of us, of course, assuming we are healthy enough to fly back.

I may also (perhaps even very probably) NEVER move from Thailand. I have never said differently. I have openly said I'm interested in buying an elite card. That would certainly mean an intention to stay, at least for the term of the card. 

Starting this thread is not only for me. It is about everyone considering expatriation to Latin America. As I've already said too many times, starting this thread is in no way any kind of personal commitment to move to Latin America and if I eventually do, I am also not committing to any particular time frame. 

So it's hard to get this persistent HECKLING over my personal timing of anything. It's like such people are trying to mock and insult me over something I have never claimed to. It's weird. It's destructive. What's the point? Now if I had said in the OP, hey folks I am definitely leaving Thailand in two months time to Latin America, then it would be a legitimate insult if I didn't. It's like calling a very out gay guy a queer. Yeah, he knows, thank you very much.

All that said, the fact that I am continuing to learn Spanish and making reasonable progress with it is certainly a sign that expatriation to Latin America is at least on my radar. If I buy an elite card, that would be a stronger sign that it isn't. I'll let y'all know if and when I ever buy an elite card. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I can't predict the future. I have determined that I would be better off moving to another expat country rather than repatriating. Repatriation is always a backup option for all of us, of course, assuming we are healthy enough to fly back.

I may also (perhaps even very probably) NEVER move from Thailand. I have never said differently. I have openly said I'm interested in buying an elite card. That would certainly mean an intention to stay, at least for the term of the card. 

Starting this thread is not only for me. It is about everyone considering expatriation to Latin America. As I've already said too many times, starting this thread is in no way any kind of personal commitment to move to Latin America and if I eventually do, I am also not committing to any particular time frame. 

So it's hard to get this persistent HECKLING over my personal timing of anything. It's like such people are trying to mock and insult me over something I have never claimed to. It's weird. It's destructive. What's the point? Now if I had said in the OP, hey folks I am definitely leaving Thailand in two months time to Latin America, then it would be a legitimate insult if I didn't. It's like calling a very out gay guy a queer. Yeah, he knows, thank you very much.

All that said, the fact that I am continuing to learn Spanish and making reasonable progress with it is certainly a sign that expatriation to Latin America is at least on my radar. If I buy an elite card, that would be a stronger sign that it isn't. I'll let y'all know if and when I ever buy an elite card. 

Oh..so it is an act of charity is it?

Goodness me..I learnt Spanish with the desire to see the country and the fact that my GF at the time..Consuelo..was holding a stiletto to my throat.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh..so it is an act of charity is it?

Goodness me..I learnt Spanish with the desire to see the country and the fact that my GF at the time..Consuelo..was holding a stiletto to my throat.

Act of charity? No. 

Of course I'm interested personally but the topic is certainly not intended to be only about me which I've made clear SEVERAL times.

I've never mentioned my TIME FRAME before with a potential move to Latin America. I will now because maybe it will help stem the tide of posts trying to insult me for not going yet (or ever). Hope springs eternal. 

Then in future, I can just repeat this and say no more. It seems worth a try.

My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

Of course, it's possible it would be sooner or later, and of course never.

So the next time I get a post trying to insult me for not moving there yet, expect this reply:

If anyone thinks that is too long a time frame, go ahead and think it. It's irrelevant to me if people may think that. You're not me. It's my life, my situation, and my choices.

On Spanish, of course it helps a lot to have a talking dictionary as you had. Not my situation in Thailand. 

On that general theme, that How To Expat guy in Medellin made a recent suggestion that for earlier level Spanish speakers it's both very cheap and a good way to help your Spanish to rent a room in a house or apartment with Spanish speakers. He said that could be possible in even a good neighborhood for as little as 150 USD per month. Of course if you don't get along you may be learning some very dark words and phrases (or silence and door slamming in Spanish). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Big deal.

Are you the moderator of this thread?

I strongly suspect that you are not going anywhere-neither is/was Marcus Aurelius

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Just now, Jingthing said:

I never committed to going anywhere. So you can strongly suspect whatever you like till the cows come home. What I don't appreciate is you and others trying to aggressively derail this thread away from the topic. Whether I personally EVER go or not and when is not the topic. 

I shall,of course,see you off when you get on the 'plane..

Fair's fair,is it not? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

I shall,of course,see you off when you get on the 'plane..

Fair's fair,is it not? 

Don't hold your breath.

Just now, JaiLai said:

Ok thanks.

If there are any relevant earlier events impacting on that projection, I will post them if they come up.

Such as --

Trips there

Quitting Spanish or news of becoming more advanced

Buying elite card

Pushed out of Thailand due to visa issues

Repatriation

Moving to Cambodia or Vietnam

Cheers. 

Ethnic Blending.

A change from Thailand that I would appreciate would be the ability to "blend in" to the local population at least before opening my mouth.

This is something I've always noticed when traveling. Am I assumed to be local (before talking) or not? Of course dress matters too. I find it relaxing to be able to go around a place and not stick out. 

My appearance is Mediterranean / Southern European so when I've travelled to Spain and Italy I've blended in really well. 

The Latin American nations have different demographic profiles. 

For example Argentina is the most European, least indigenous and mestizo nation there. I blended in well there. Mexico is much more mestizo but they also have European background types, so I blended in OK there.

(Mestizo is a mix of European and Indigenous, really the look that most people in the world associate with LATINOS.)

Colombia has an interesting mix. 25 percent African origin but mostly on the coasts. That's much higher than in Mexico. The majority mestizo but like Mexico also some European. So it may depend on where you are in Colombia. Of course if you move to a smaller town or city, you'd probably become known more personally by lots of locals as a foreigner anyway.

It's something to notice when traveling to a place. Maybe some people like being very visible all the time as an outsider. I don't. 

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 

Edited by Jingthing
4 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Whens the start date of the 2 to 3 years?

LOL, brilliant post.  We shall organize a ticker tape parade along the baht bus route to send him off.

A sayonara committee will see him off the at airport with a uniform for his new home.

image.jpeg.7e7a906a4a2d5bbf2e0b195d20d02e72.jpeg

The bad news is, he will have click baited this thread up to several thousand pages by then!

• Haha 1