Jump to content

Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cheap Charlies? Not sure such insults are necessary

Cheap Charlie is hardly an insult.  To the contrary it is a badge of accomplishment worn by many value shoppers who think they are beating the system, and many will proudly and self-deprecatingly refer to themselves by this.  There was even a very popular bar by this name for years in Bangkok.  So ease up on the fake news.

Edited by grifbel
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What some 60 years old 2 times divorced woman from Sheffield not good enough for you? 🤣 We all know why we are in Asia. The culture. 

there is zero chance of me riding my motorcycle ALONE all over anywhere south of the USA border.   Travel Thailand alone no problems anywhere. 32,000 kilometers worth of motorcycle road trip

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wond

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Cheap Charlie is hardly an insult.  To the contrary it is a badge of accomplishment worn by many who think they are beating the system, and many will self-deprecatingly refer to themselves by this.  There was even a very popular bar by this name for years in Bangkok.  So ease up on the fake news.

Got anything to post about LATIN AMERICA instead of stereotypical memes?

 

_____________________________________________________________________________
My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 
 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Got anything to post about LATIN AMERICA instead of stereotypical memes?

 

_____________________________________________________________________________
My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 
 

I do....

 

What's the Latin American equivalent of 'Cheap Charlie' called ( in Spanish pls )?

 

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I do....  

What's the Latin American equivalent of 'Cheap Charlie' called ( in Spanish pls )?

 

Thank you.

 

I don't know. 

 

 

 

 

 __________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I do....

 

What's the Latin American equivalent of 'Cheap Charlie' called ( in Spanish pls )?

 

Thank you.

El cheapo Carlos...😁

 

Niente dinero..mi expatriato della Thai compagna..

 

(I am only joking)

Edited by Odysseus123
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't know. 

 

 

 

 

 __________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 

 

 

Maybe start a poll "What's the Latin American equivalent of 'Cheap Charlie called" ?

Edited by JaiLai
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Big deal.

 

Are you the moderator of this thread?

 

I strongly suspect that you are not going anywhere-neither is/was Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus to give him is full (and properly spelt) moniker..

I think the expat bank amount is going up and that's not a problem but the insurance requirement may be a because of my age and what kind of coverage they might require.  I'd like to go to another country but think I'm too old and will go back to America for the health care.  Mass transit is not a problem.  I lived in Chicago, NYC and SF and Seattle with no car.  Florida is doable with Uber and having food delivered.  Texas can be pretty much like Latin America but the recent oil boom may change things. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Maybe start a poll "What's the Latin American equivalent of 'Cheap Charlie called" ?

Start your own poll.

__________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think the expat bank amount is going up and that's not a problem but the insurance requirement may be a because of my age and what kind of coverage they might require.  I'd like to go to another country but think I'm too old and will go back to America for the health care.  Mass transit is not a problem.  I lived in Chicago, NYC and SF and Seattle with no car.  Florida is doable with Uber and having food delivered.  Texas can be pretty much like Latin America but the recent oil boom may change things. 

If you can afford to live in San Francisco, you can afford to live anywhere in the world. I agree with you that age 80 is usually too old to move to a new country.

__________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you can afford to live in San Francisco, you can afford to live anywhere in the world. I agree with you that age 80 is usually too old to move to a new country.

__________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

I think you would have to live with someone.  That's a new thing.  Didn't you mention some services that do that?  Chicago seems the nicest for the lake and parks and walking and easy transit any time of the day and the Art Institute.  Lots of Mexicans too.  803,000 Hispanic residents - and those are only the legal ones. 

Edited by marcusarelus
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think you would have to live with someone.  That's a new thing.  Didn't you mention some services that do that?  Chicago seems the nicest for the lake and parks and walking and easy transit any time of the day and the Art Institute.  Lots of Mexicans too.  I employed a couple of hundred there. 

I used to live in Chicago. Great city but it was too cold for me even as a young man. I don't understand why old people would move there to retire. Personally, unfortunately, I really can't afford to live in the U.S. in any place even a tiny bit decent. Sorry I don't fancy cat food for dinner. If I was well funded, I would choose repatriation or expatriation to a place like New Zealand. Or, heck, maybe even a place like Medellin but the penthouse style life. 

 

We all have different situations. Destinations like Thailand and the Latin American choices tend to mostly attract people looking for a better quality of life than they could get at home. Basically ECONOMICS being the strongest motivation. 

 

__________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I used to live in Chicago. Great city but it was too cold for me even as a young man. I don't understand why old people would move there to retire. Personally, unfortunately, I really can't afford to live in the U.S. in any place even a tiny bit decent. Sorry I don't fancy cat food for dinner. If I was well funded, I would choose repatriation or expatriation to a place like New Zealand.

 

We all have different situations. Destinations like Thailand and the Latin American choices tend to mostly attract people looking for a better quality of life than they could get at home. Basically ECONOMICS being the strongest motivation. 

 

__________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

Potential for a new topic?

 

But on a serious note, NZ is becoming more popular, beautiful country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JaiLai said:

Potential for a new topic?

 

But on a serious note, NZ is becoming more popular, beautiful country.

May as well be Mars for most expats living in Thailand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I used to live in Chicago. Great city but it was too cold for me even as a young man. I don't understand why old people would move there to retire. Personally, unfortunately, I really can't afford to live in the U.S. in any place even a tiny bit decent. Sorry I don't fancy cat food for dinner. If I was well funded, I would choose repatriation or expatriation to a place like New Zealand. Or, heck, maybe even a place like Medellin but the penthouse style life. 

 

We all have different situations. Destinations like Thailand and the Latin American choices tend to mostly attract people looking for a better quality of life than they could get at home. Basically ECONOMICS being the strongest motivation. 

 

__________________________________________________________________________

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

American Households Aged 75 and Older:$31,893 median income.

 

How much is it in the UK?

Edited by marcusarelus
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...