Jump to content

Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes


Recommended Posts

American Households Aged 75 and Older:$31,893 median income.  

How much is it in the UK?

 

Average US social security check is 1350 a month and a huge percentage earn less.  

Rents in the US through the roof.

 

Do the math.

 

 

 __________________________________________________________________________

 

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What some 60 years old 2 times divorced woman from Sheffield not good enough for you? 🤣 We all know why we are in Asia. The culture. 

there is zero chance of me riding my motorcycle ALONE all over anywhere south of the USA border.   Travel Thailand alone no problems anywhere. 32,000 kilometers worth of motorcycle road trip

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wond

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Average US social security check is 1350 a month and a huge percentage earn less.  

Rents in the US through the roof.

 

Do the math.

 

 

 __________________________________________________________________________

 

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

Be specific.  I was looking at Madison Wisconsin $1000 will take care of my housing needs and the VA hospital there is one of the best.  I'm paying $700 per month now in rent.  Food is cheaper in USA as is my one glass of wine a day.  Florida $500 per month rent (friends).  Little Rock 6 or 7 hundred.  I've lived in the South most of my life and rents are cheap in many places.  North has better health care but rents are higher - studio apts or rent share are not bad.  Many places Florida have enough mass transit and living downtown cheap places can be found not nice but rustic.  Room in a house with a pool $7 to 800. 

 

Half of all Americans age 65 or older have incomes of less than $24,224 a year – far less than the amount that most need to meet their day-to-day living and health care expenses.”

Why is this number so much lower?

The $24,224 number is for all individuals above 65 — not household.

https://www.newretirement.com/retirement/average-retirement-income/

 

 

Edited by marcusarelus
Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to be specific. I really don't get your trip. You've been clear that because of your age you have rejected expatriation to Latin America. To me that sounds like an excellent decision for you. For many others living there now and potentially moving there the draw is largely a better quality of life than the home country. So you're trying to convince everyone that is not you to repatriate just because your situation favors repatriating?

 

Why????

 

I'm certainly not selling the idea that Latin America is the best choice for all

 

You and others please focus on the details about the Latin American choices. If the Latin American choices don't interest you and you have already rejected them this thread is really not for you.

 

Seems basic common sense.

 

I'll tell you another thing. If I get to the point where I lose any interest in expatriation to Latin America I'll naturally stop posting about it. It truly boggles the mind that the majority of posts here are from people with no interest in the actual topic. People complain that the topic is already too long. Well yeah sure because it's mostly noise from people with no interest in the topic.

 

I'm hoping for better here. One post a month that is actually on point is better than 1000 that aren't.

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________

 

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No need to be specific. I really don't get your trip. You've been clear that because of your age you have rejected expatriation to Latin America. To me that sounds like an excellent decision for you. For many others living there now and potentially moving there the draw is largely a better quality of life than the home country. So you're trying to convince everyone that is not you to repatriate just because your situation favors repatriating?

 

Why????

 

I'm certainly not selling the idea that Latin America is the best choice for all

 

You and others please focus on the details about the Latin American choices. If the Latin American choices don't interest you and you have already rejected them this thread is really not for you.

 

Seems basic common sense.

 

I'll tell you another thing. If I get to the point where I lose any interest in expatriation to Latin America I'll naturally stop posting about it. It truly boggles the mind that the majority of posts here are from people with no interest in the actual topic. People complain that the topic is already too long. Well yeah sure because it's mostly noise from people with no interest in the topic.

 

I'm hoping for better here. One post a month that is actually on point is better than 1000 that aren't.

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________

 

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

 

 

 

 

You said rents in the US are through the roof.  I am disputing that statement.  So I listed specifics.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/rent-prices-are-falling-in-these-7-major-u-s-cities.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You said rents in the US are through the roof.  I am disputing that statement.  So I listed specifics.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/rent-prices-are-falling-in-these-7-major-u-s-cities.html

If you want a detailed discussion of the economics of repatriation in the U.S. feel welcome to revive the thread I abandoned about that (as I'm not currently interested) or start your own. The general point is obviously the truth. Expatriation from richer countries to poorer countries for retirees is usually motivated by the hope for improving the quality of life in the new country. That certainly applies to almost all the Latin American choices, except for the more expensive ones like Chile. Thailand is also one of those poorer countries that has historically attracted improve quality of life retired expats. But yes Thailand has gotten more expensive and their visa system has become highly onerous. So more people than usual are seeking other options. Could be nearby countries. Could be repatriation. Could be Eastern Europe. Could be Latin America.


THIS topic is specifically about choices in Latin America. 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 3:18 PM, Jingthing said:

That's honest but please keep the discussion focused on Latin America. If commercial sex is a priority and/or relationship potential with younger partners some nations would be better than others. For example Colombia would be better than Ecuador. 

 

Yes, I already acknowledged the obvious fact that Latin America is of most interest to Americans and Canadians. However, perhaps it shouldn't be. Especially the retired expats, as a number of Latin American nations offer permanent residency opportunities (and even citizenship) based on being retired there that are NOT on offer in Asean. Plus the financial requirements in most of the Latin American choices are lower, in fact MUCH LOWER than in Thailand.

Unfortunately for some on this thread, sensualists, sex is important.  Not one country listed so far provides sexual,  legal, services  just expensive,  commercial   insect ridden,  vaguely fascist Catholic despot regimes. And to be honest there have  been NO changes in the Visa laws,here. Just use an agent. Then you wont have to move to  cartel country . Some active members on this forum are purported to be admin staff they are not. You are allowed to challenge them within forum rules without being booted. Depending on your age, gender, sexual orientation,  social habits etc and your budget....I rather think Israel probably is the best option after Thailand.....nice thread..but cliched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you want a detailed discussion of the economics of repatriation in the U.S. feel welcome to revive the thread I abandoned about that (as I'm not currently interested) or start your own. The general point is obviously the truth. Expatriation from richer countries to poorer countries for retirees is usually motivated by the hope for improving the quality of life in the new country. That certainly applies to almost all the Latin American choices, except for the more expensive ones like Chile. Thailand is also one of those poorer countries that has historically attracted improve quality of life retired expats. But yes Thailand has gotten more expensive and their visa system has become highly onerous. So more people than usual are seeking other options. Could be nearby countries. Could be repatriation. Could be Eastern Europe. Could be Latin America.


THIS topic is specifically about choices in Latin America. 

It's an open forum. You don't own the topic just because you started it. It's called a discussion.  Get used to it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

May as well be Mars for most expats living in Thailand. 

They would not let us in. They have immigration problems and a nut case PM. NZ going down the shutters plus the worst global warning prob in the world

Edited by sunnyboy2018
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Unfortunately for some on this thread, sensualists, sex is important.  Not one country listed so far provides sexual,  legal, services  just expensive,  commercial   insect ridden,  vaguely fascist Catholic despot regimes. And to be honest there have  been NO changes in the Visa laws,here. Just use an agent. Then you wont have to move to  cartel country . Some active members on this forum are purported to be admin staff they are not. You are allowed to challenge them within forum rules without being booted. Depending on your age, gender, sexual orientation,  social habits etc and your budget....I rather think Israel probably is the best option after Thailand.....nice thread..but cliched.

Israel? Everyone's a comedian. :stoner:

Of course there have been visa changes.

Maybe they don't have an impact on you but they do on many others.

Every nation has prostitutes. Latin America certainly has them. The style is different. There are specialized punter forums for that kind of information. Colombia in particular is a large draw for sex tourists.

 

As far as the different kinds of governments in the world, the majority of expats are looking for a good level of stability and most political issues are domestic local matters. Expats care and should care when it bleeds into their potential quality of life there. A minority of expats may get involved in local politics but that is not the norm. 

 

As far as your comment (nice thread..but cliched) (thank you???) well OK, please help it become less cliched within the boundaries of the general topic -- LATIN AMERICAN expatriation possibilities.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________
My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 
 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

They would not let us in. They have immigration problems and a nut case PM. NZ going down the shutters plus the worst global warning prob in the world

I was thinking more in line with their financial qualifications. They are very much higher than Thailand. A different CLASS as it were. The majority of nations in Latin America with retirement programs have financial requirements that are either similar to Thailand or lower, sometimes MUCH lower. That doesn't mean the actual costs are much lower. They generally aren't. Visa requirements and actual costs are different things. 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________
My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 
 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

It's an open forum. You don't own the topic just because you started it. It's called a discussion.  Get used to it.

This thread is focused on Latin America. Get used to that.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________
My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS. 
 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, marcusarelus said:

American Households Aged 75 and Older:$31,893 median income.

 

How much is it in the UK?

Hi

 

Not sure how your question is relevant but do think that the average median income for a UK couple at 75 yrs. old is a fair bit lower than the figure you have quoted for the US.( Note, I am not questioning your US figure, have no idea )

 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/693324/pensioners-incomes-series-2016-17-report.pdf

 

The UK basic state pension is somewhat miserly, lower than other of the leading Euoropean countries.

It is somewhat complicated by being based on how many years someone has made contributions.

Think but could be wrong that it is generally between 600 to 700 GBP per month.

Multiply by about X 1.3 for US $ figure.

 

Oh and the weather is awful, unless you like cold and rain, hence why many, including myself have chosen somewhere else to stay, even though in my case a fair way off retirement age.

 

To try to get back on topic, Columbia looks good, climate, value, medical standards, transport are strong positives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 3:18 PM, Jingthing said:

That's honest but please keep the discussion focused on Latin America. If commercial sex is a priority and/or relationship potential with younger partners some nations would be better than others. For example Colombia would be better than Ecuador. 

 

Yes, I already acknowledged the obvious fact that Latin America is of most interest to Americans and Canadians. However, perhaps it shouldn't be. Especially the retired expats, as a number of Latin American nations offer permanent residency opportunities (and even citizenship) based on being retired there that are NOT on offer in Asean. Plus the financial requirements in most of the Latin American choices are lower, in fact MUCH LOWER than in Thailand.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/mexico-travel-warning-issued-after-8-bodies-found-in-cancun/ar-BBMlu8N?li=BBnb7Kz&fbclid=IwAR39ZH0ePxaWqcjBtwBsbWQhGXGmsy9AHJ7u7nWz5l9pTDu7Pl1eGlsRfo8

 

Is the crime rate an interest to you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

It depends. I think people know by now about cartel violence in Mexico. Your link is rather dated but yes it was surprising to a lot of people to hear about such things in Cancun as Cancun is such a popular tourism spot although it wasn't literally at the beach. I see your link mentions Michoacán state as Level 4. Yes the city of Morelia in that state would be a more attractive option otherwise. Personally, any news that the status of the CITY of Queretaro which is known as a no go zone for cartel violence has changed would be of great interest.

 

More generally the new leftist populist president there has promised to reduce such violence. He's still new but it hasn't been reduced.

 

This topic isn't about either fear mongering or sugar coating. 

 

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/15/17690420/mexico-president-amlo-drug-war-cartels-violence-legalization

 

 

 

 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...