Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Medellin is quite a large city. The living experience will be very different depending on where in Medellin. There are plenty of general guides to Medellin, but this one seems special. It gets into detail about the different neighborhoods WITHIN the popular with expats and tourists larger districts.

Those districts are Poblado, Laureles, and Envigado.

https://theunconventionalroute.com/best-neighborhoods-in-medellin/

The Difference Between Love and Hate is Location

Whether you’re coming for two days, two months, or two years, you have to be strategic in deciding where to stay in Medellin because it can make the difference between loving and hating the city.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What some 60 years old 2 times divorced woman from Sheffield not good enough for you? 🤣 We all know why we are in Asia. The culture. 

there is zero chance of me riding my motorcycle ALONE all over anywhere south of the USA border.   Travel Thailand alone no problems anywhere. 32,000 kilometers worth of motorcycle road trip

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wond

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No need to be specific. I really don't get your trip. You've been clear that because of your age you have rejected expatriation to Latin America. To me that sounds like an excellent decision for you. For many others living there now and potentially moving there the draw is largely a better quality of life than the home country. So you're trying to convince everyone that is not you to repatriate just because your situation favors repatriating?

Why????

I'm certainly not selling the idea that Latin America is the best choice for all

You and others please focus on the details about the Latin American choices. If the Latin American choices don't interest you and you have already rejected them this thread is really not for you.

Seems basic common sense.

I'll tell you another thing. If I get to the point where I lose any interest in expatriation to Latin America I'll naturally stop posting about it. It truly boggles the mind that the majority of posts here are from people with no interest in the actual topic. People complain that the topic is already too long. Well yeah sure because it's mostly noise from people with no interest in the topic.

I'm hoping for better here. One post a month that is actually on point is better than 1000 that aren't.

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

What truly boggles the mind is that you reply to your own posts.

I don't think people are complaining about the length of the thread just laughing at the way you're trying to control it and tell people what they can and cannot comment.

Note: Your personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS ( minus 1 day )

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I do....

What's the Latin American equivalent of 'Cheap Charlie' called ( in Spanish pls )?

Thank you.

Per your request and since you are so polite, we dispatched a crack team of international investigators to Latin American and discovered none other than a Mexican shop Cheap Charlies El Baratero in Mazatlan,

image.jpeg.1d34ef61dd9f298ed7ae284873459457.jpeg

Meanwhile a quick google forensics analysis shows that the word stingy can be said a few different ways depending on the country your in. In México "tacaño" or codo,  In Spain: Tacaño, cutre o agarrado, In Chile: apretado.  (tight), Others mezquino.

The bad news is that this may throw the OP's departure date back by another 2-3 years as he has a couple of extra words to master.  Most other people can learn Spanish in a few months. It's one of the world's easiest languages.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

ECONOMICS being the strongest motivation.

So with cheapster lifestyle being the top of your priorities, why have you ruled out Africa.  Some great places and beaches there on a shoestring like Senegal, Morocco, and others.  Or your could go full Colonel Kurtz, or Bogart's River queen and command a river boat into the heart of the continent where costs are a pittance.  Then there are other real cheap places, like Bangladesh or Bihar India....why the fixation with Latin America.  Don't spit the dummy on us and throw your usual tantrum, just asking...

1 minute ago, grifbel said:

So with cheapster lifestyle being the top of your priorities, why have you ruled out Africa.  Some great places and beaches there on a shoestring like Senegal, Morocco, and others.  Or your could go full Colonel Kurtz, or Bogart's River queen and command a river boat into the heart of the continent where costs are a pittance.  Then there are other real cheap places, like Bangladesh or Bihar India....why the fixation with Latin America.  Don't spit the dummy on us and throw your usual tantrum, just asking...

Ethnic blending 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
Let me get this straight.  You haggle over 10 baht fares for the baht bus, and now you are considering become part of the elite???

Okayyyyyyyyyyy........
The baht bus fare is 10 baht. No need to haggle. No need to double pay or tip.

An elite card may be used as an expensive way to avoid the regular visa system here. Buying one does not literally make a person an elite person.

My obvious point was that buying an Elite card would indicate a commitment to staying in Thailand for at least five years. That would indeed be contrary to an interest in moving anywhere else.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Per your request and since you are so polite, we dispatched a crack team of international investigators to Latin American and discovered none other than a Mexican shop Cheap Charlies El Baratero in Mazatlan,

image.jpeg.1d34ef61dd9f298ed7ae284873459457.jpeg&key=fa50affcfaa98bdddd5225568b98faf40e2e0feb1c4c339ff9ba77e5a81fd604

Meanwhile a quick google forensics analysis shows that the word stingy can be said a few different ways depending on the country your in. In México "tacaño" or codo,  In Spain: Tacaño, cutre o agarrado, In Chile: apretado.  (tight), Others mezquino.

The bad news is that this may throw the OP's departure date back by another 2-3 years as he has a couple of extra words to master.  Most other people can learn Spanish in a few months. It's one of the world's easiest languages.

As you well know I never said my personal time frame was only about time to learn Spanish. Keep in mind the topic is about expatriation to Latin America. The topic is not me.

About Spanish happily it is an easier language for English speakers. So many of the words are similar to English. The elementary basics like greetings can be picked up quickly. But then past that and it gets harder.

What truly boggles the mind is that you reply to your own posts.

I don't think people are complaining about the length of the thread just laughing at the way you're trying to control it and tell people what they can and cannot comment.

Note: Your personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS ( minus 1 day )
No need to complain. If the topic doesn't interest you (Latin America) you may

Not read the thread

Not post to the thread

Start a new thread about a topic you do want to talk about

• Like 1
Fantastic work.

I'm sure the OP would like to visit this place, hold on........he's never going to go though.

Nonetheless he could perhaps spend hours / days / weeks / months researching it and starting threads about it and telling people what they are and are not allowed to comment.
I've been to Mexico several times.
I've been to Mazatlan which was referenced.
I've been to Spain several times. Not Latin America.

More buying power abroad for a better quality of life than they could afford back home is what motivates most retired expats. That's a fact.

This topic is limited to options in Latin America and most of those options can fulfill that aspiration.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No need to complain. If the topic doesn't interest you (Latin America) you may

Not read the thread

Not post to the thread

Start a new thread about a topic you do want to talk about

I'm not complaining

I enjoy reading this, it amuses me

I like posting, i have valuable input

I'm currently researching about a thread i will begin, you'll be allowed to comment, don't worry

Edited by JaiLai