Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

16 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I was walking on a crowded street during daylight, suddenly 3 BIG black guys approached me, one took stranglehold on me, another held a knife, and the third went through my pockets. They got my money and keys to my apartment and went away. But one of them suddenly turned back and returned my keys...what a gentleman. Anyway, just happy i didn't get that knife in my belly.

Don't you think that remark was rather racist?

32 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I don't think I could live anywhere that does not have bum guns. I've installed one in my house in London.

Using It is really refreshing during the winter months.

Yeah, I hear you!

I certainly would not poo poo your POV.

Unfortunately, it's probably not practical to install one in a rental. 

1 hour ago, puukao said:

maybe visit peru, chile, but only for a few days.  Safety is a big reason why Thailand is preferable.  Latin America simply isn't even remotely as safe, and transportation is immensely more difficult.  You would have to pay me to go to Mexico and Central America, really.  I might love it, and i probably would.  nice people, great food (really great), but the safety issue is not be be ignored.  So many countries in S. America are under turmoil, and that leads to bad things in the entire continent....sure, Venezuela and Brazil and Argentina may not be "that close"... but close enough.  Ask me again in 20-years....i'm sure it's super beautiful.  

Again, it's specific location dependent which you could say about a lot of other regions as well, including the USA. 

Not just the country. Not just the location in the country. It's often down to the specific neighborhood of that town or city.

The longest I've stayed in Latin America has been six weeks which was in Buenos Aires. My rental was in an OK central neighborhood. I took buses, subway, and taxes day and night. I never felt threatened in any way. 

On the other hand the one time I stayed in Mexico City's wonderful Zona Rosa some random shoeshine kid kicked me in a shin. 

All locations have issues. In Pattaya I'm not worried about muggings but I am worried about crossing streets. 

As I've said before I am not trying here to either oversell or undersell moving to Latin America. I'm not a rose colored glasses International Living clone nor am I a fearful xenophobic American that gets tense every time they hear people speaking Spanish. Many of us are considering leaving Thailand in some cases under serious duress due to immigration changes. Some Latin American nations with their particular attractions and hazards like anywhere are realistic alternatives for some.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well good luck - let us know where you end up.

It's not just about me. I may buy an elite card and not go anywhere. I am, however, much more seriously considering other options, and my research has pointed me to Latin America. As I don't think my quality of life would be acceptable back in the USA and the Latin American nations that I'm considering offer permanent residence, even citizenship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

As to Central/South America... they don't have enough candles to hold a candle to living in Thailand... my opinion, of course... and by your being here, maybe you agree. 

This thread is not about asserting that Thailand is a bad place to live for foreigners. But many foreigners feel much less welcome here and the immigration changes are very real and very serious for many of us. So if we decide to leave, either by pure choice or partly/largely being pushed out, then we need to go somewhere else. Some of the nations in Latin America have similar attractions to the same people that were attracted to Thailand -- even easier visas as far as financial requirements, lower cost of living for a better quality of life compared to home countries, potential for even much better weather than Thailand specific location dependent of course, lovely delicious food that you can afford to have eating out daily, smiling locals, etc. I get the fear factor that many have. In my view, that might be seen as a feature. Considering Colombia for example, how flooded they would be with gringos if most westerners didn't still think that country is unacceptably dangerous in every locality there. (It is too dangerous in some localities there … so don't go to those places, duh!) 

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's another JT fantasy thread, pick a place so far away that you'll never dare go.

Vietnam/Philippines/Cambodia are too close, too easy and too realistic an option to consider.

Personally, I may not ever go to Latin America again either as a tourist, an expat destination explorer, or as a new resident. It is very far from Thailand and that is a fact. Doing much exploration of the different options in Latin America is especially expensive coming from this far (for those currently living in Thailand). I can't predict the future at this point. The options in Asean have been widely discussed here on other threads already. I am not discounting them as options, except for maybe Vietnam that offers zilch in the way of retirement residence security. 

But as I stated in the OP, especially for Americans and Canadians, Latin America is either already or possibly should be on their radar as a potential alternative if/when exiting from Thailand.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, yobosayo said:

Mexico is good and Belize. Watch youtube Jerry Brown Travels. Tangerine Travels. & JC Travel Stories

I must admit silly old Jerry and his funny wife were part of the reason I got wise to the possibility of Queretaro. Then I did more research and it really does look unusually good --

Fantastic spring like weather

Not too high

Perhaps the safest city in Mexico

Lack of narco violence

Considered the Silicon Valley of Mexico

Larger city but a baby compared to Mexico City

Manageable bus ride to Mexico City when you need to be there (embassy stuff, etc.)

Major airport

Central historic district, large, sprawling, filled with plazas, like being in old Spain

Rest of the city more modern, very large middle class

Surrounding magical pueblos

Surrounding Mexican wine growing country

Negatives I can see are that the rents are somewhat on the high side, but cheaper than Mexico City, the public transport isn't great so you need taxis and Uber which isn't the cheapest either.

I have been to the area where Jerry lives in Mexico (Lake Chapala) and I didn't like it much. It's gotten overpriced too and is a bit of a gringo ghetto. I like nearby Guadalajara better but I think too dangerous compared to Queretaro. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Why don't you quote prices in Thai baht so the rest of us can easily and quickly figure out the value of whatever you're talking about. In spite of what some Americans may think not all of us are concerned about nor aware of the value of the US $

Unless of course this topic is only intended for an American audience in which case you should say so.

If I and other forum members quote a sum of money in GBPs, Euros etc we also normally quote the Thai equivalent in brackets so other nationalities can immediately relate to it without having to to work out unnecessary currency conversions.

I hear you and my answer is no. Others are free to quote in Thai baht. I think for Latin America, it's more standard to quote in dollars. A number of the nations are even fully dollarized. 

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

yeah Latin America ...  !   In Brazil you will most likely be robbed or shot during your first couple of nights out ....  :drunk:

Yes and not just nights out. Couple of years ago a work colleague of mine was robbed at gun point in the early afternoon. Just walked out of the bank on a busy road in São Paulo and came face to face with the 2 guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

having extensive personal experience within colombia and bilingual i can say there is no lack of g7 standard medical facilities/care available. medical care/system quality is quite similar to usa or perhaps usa combined with europe and japan since new technologies are typically available before they are in the usa (cumbersome fda approval process) . 

in international academic medical circles colombia is a world leader in ophthalmology and typically their doctors chair esteemed international/usa conferences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Barraquer          the instrument for making the lasik corneal flap conceived and developed by colombian surgeons though usually built in germany or nation with advanced engineering. initially by dr barraquer then via his proteges. many instrument used worldwide were developed in colombia.

i had lasik there 1995 at which time they were way more experienced than the usa and had current state of the art german made laser technology

Absolutely true! Medical facilities in Colombia are excellent and no worries about (except paying for it as usual) in Bogota, Medellin, etc. Most expats in Thailand are not going to be interested in living in Bogota though (they have colder weather). However, living in more provincial areas such as Santa Marta on the Caribbean, I would have concerns about the care level. 

5 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Yes and not just nights out. Couple of years ago a work colleague of mine was robbed at gun point in the early afternoon. Just walked out of the bank on a busy road in São Paulo and came face to face with the 2 guys. 

Sao Paolo is kind of notorious for crime. 

Again, the Brazil financial level visa requirements are not likely to be attractive to the majority of expats living in Thailand feeling pressured by the visa changes here. 

Also to say, such travel tragedies can happen anywhere. Such as Amsterdam. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

I hear you and my answer is no. Others are free to quote in Thai baht. I think for Latin America, it's more standard to quote in dollars. A number of the nations are even fully dollarized. 

Keep it in $s then but just don't expect all of us to show much interest in what you have to say regarding pricing. You might as well be talking about the Japanese Yen.

And not many of us are going to want to move to the other side of the world to South America when other nearer destinations are more attractive and much safer.

3 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Keep it in $s then but just don't expect all of us to show much interest in what you have to say regarding pricing. You might as well be talking about the Japanese Yen.

And not many of us are going to want to move to the other side of the world to South America when other nearer destinations are more attractive and much safer.

That's fine.

Again this topic is for people that are thinking about Latin American destinations as an alternative to living in Thailand.

If you or anyone else has already decided they are NOT interested in that, I have to wonder, why are you even posting here?

Seriously, people that are not interested in this topic, you are more than welcome to not read it and to not post to it.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Having spent time in Brazil, admittedly twenty years ago, I would consider that country for retirement, but as a white European I would feel safest among those closest to my own culture - in Southern Brazil, specifically the state of Rio Grande do Sul, where many immigrants from Germany and Italy once settled. However, there are several mitigating circumstances: as with Argentina, you are potentially faced with a persistent devaluation of the local currency over the years; a far right wing president has just been elected, and it remains to be seen how he tackles the worsening crime, social inequality and unemployment situations, all of which could contribute to further social unrest. Schoolboy Spanish will get you by in Portuguese-speaking Brazil (though it's a long way from European Portuguese)  at a push, but as in all countries, it would pay to learn the local language, which incidentally is very pleasing to the ear (at least to mine). Food is cheap and more than acceptable, especially at the 'por kilo' restaurants, and drink is reasonable. Wine of course is far better value than in rip-off Thailand (Argentina is next-door-but-one). A relatively benign climate, and proximity to Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay for a slight change of pace if needed.

• Like 1

Sao Paolo is kind of notorious for crime. 
Again, the Brazil financial level visa requirements are not likely to be attractive to the majority of expats living in Thailand feeling pressured by the visa changes here. 

Also to say, such travel tragedies can happen anywhere. Such as Amsterdam. 

Yup, although all countries can have occasional daylight mugging Brazil has more than its fair share.
I lived in Minas Gerais ( the farming state of Brazil, think Wisconsin ! ) right in the coffee growing belt yet my wife had her car stolen at gun point in broad daylight.

South America has some countries, Brazil, Columbia, Mexico, where you really have to research areas as violence and daylight assaults are more prevalent.

Having said that, I come from a small town in Yorkshire now more famous for the Yorkshire Ripper and Crossbow Cannibal than its previous history of beautiful scenery and tranquil lifestyle.

One of my discoveries from watching vloggers.

Here is a Spanish language housing search site for Mexico.

https://www.vivanuncios.com.mx/

Trying it out I could see that there may indeed be decent apartments in my price range in Queretaro which is something I had serious doubts about before.

Mexicans know it is very desirable too so it will never be among the lowest cost cities in Mexico. 

There is a similar site for Colombia but I lost track of it so if anyone knows, please post the link.

Of course the prices are in Mexican pesos (xe.com is your amigo).

Another thing I like about this site is that it's useful to learn the specific Spanish used for rental housing. If you want better deals in Latin America, more likely than not, you're going to have to speak to people about it in Spanish. 

Regrets for posting another IL link but it's a good brief intro about Queretaro. I bet most of you (like me fairly recently) didn't even know this place existed before. That's saying something as I have travelled to Mexico several times in various regions there. 

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Though this thread was going to find out SA opportunities it's all about sex. 

For me it would be interesting to know about living in Panama or Costa Rica. 

Is there anybody who knows something about it first hand? 

It certainly is not all about sex. 

I think there was already a post or two about people with experience living in Panama. 

Panama has quite a decent retirement visa program. It's may be the best in the world and even I (low income) can qualify. 

However, for me the negatives overrule.

Panama City and surroundings are expensive. Qualifying for the visa is not the same thing as being able to afford to live in the places you might want to live in.

Weather -- hot and humid (with exceptions, inland, Boquette, etc.) 

More isolated choices, yes there are, but I haven't noticed any that really appeal to me.

Boquette is expat popular. Arguably too popular.

David might interest me but it is incredibly hot.

Food is boring.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

As I've said before some Latin American nations would have more opportunities for older single men than others. It's not hard to find out which those would be. Such as in Colombia it would be socially normal for an older man to be married to a rather young person, it would be seen as much less usual in Ecuador. 

If you want commercial sex tips, please go elsewhere. 

Obviously sex and relationship potential would be one among the many PRIORTIES that people should consider upon moving anywhere. 
For some people, it's the highest priority, for others, it just isn't as high a priority.

These priority lists are very personal as every person is different and has different interests and priorities. 

Even if you're very wealthy, young, and handsome you're not likely to find any destination on earth that is 100 percent perfect for all your personal priorities.

If you're old and not wealthy, well, do the math. You'll need to make big compromises. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Costa Rican Women

Most Costa Rican women are extremely affectionate. If a girl is interested, she will approach you and let her intentions be known.

If you want to get to know a Costa Rican woman better, you must spend at least one night wooing her before you have a chance at getting a phone number. It’s not uncommon too see Costa Rican women greeting their coworkers with a cheek kiss or innocently flirting with men.

The culture in Costa Rica is a lot more affectionate than that of the United States, and beware that flirting is not a green light for serious physical contact. The Costa Rican woman will be absolutely clear about what she wants from a man.

Cheating is common in Costa Rica – among men and women.

Sex in Costa Rica They have short time Hotels just like Thailand go and fill your boots

The majority of Costa Ricans live with their parents or extended family until they are married. It is not acceptable for them to bring a date home to spend the night, no matter how old they are or whether they are a woman or a man. For couples looking for intimacy, they can go to one of the love motels (moteles) that are prevalent throughout the country.

Always use protection. Condoms are available at all pharmacies and grocery stores (supermercados). They are also sometimes included in the room cost or available for an extra fee at the love motel, but you can’t find them in the bar or club bathrooms. The morning after pill is available at pharmacies. Abortion is illegal unless the mother’s life is in danger.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Just an older guy, with occasional guy needs.

ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL when weighing LoS

with a LatAm country...

You only have to ask yourself one question:

Would I move there if I can't

Cost effctively Shag the locals? 

1 no need of woman whatsoever

2 all other things are not equal in the slightest,

most importantly citizenship & national health care

is automatic as i enter caribbean air space

3 yes, in a heartbeat, actually its a plus if im left alone

source, i've spent most of my adult life in pattaya

and most of those years i decline any and all advances

from the opposite sex, hiso and loso alike.

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

1 no need of woman whatsoever

2 all other things are not equal in the slightest,

most importantly citizenship & national health care

is automatic as i enter caribbean air space

3 yes, in a heartbeat

source, i've spent most of my adult life in pattaya

and most of those years i decline any and all advances

from the opposite sex, hiso and loso alike.

well, you and the OP  are definitely on the same page as far as that goes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1