Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's another JT fantasy thread, pick a place so far away that you'll never dare go.

Vietnam/Philippines/Cambodia are too close, too easy and too realistic an option to consider.

I'd pay attention to the man.  He has been posting topics encouraging expats to leave Thailand for at least 10 years.  He is an expert. 

• Haha 2

For those that are gay, another thing on your priority list would be things like gay civil rights, levels of homophobia including violence and murders of gay people, social opportunities, etc.

For example Colombia has a pretty high level of gay civil rights, legal gay marriage, but still a high level of societal homophobia.

For those that prioritize gay nightlife, Bogota, Medellin, and Cartegena would probably be the top three. 

My impression is that murders of gay people is especially high in Brazil and likely to get worse with the election of their new explicitly anti-gay far right wing president. 

But I reckon it's hard to get good stats on such things but it's serious stuff.

Again, I am not here to oversell Latin America. There are pros and cons.

Edited by Jingthing

Another category for the priorities list is TAXATION. 

Each country has a different policy of course.

It's not always clear what it is exactly though.

For example, my current information is that Peru does not tax foreign retirement pensions.

There seems to be a lot more confusion about Colombia. It may involve seeing a lawyer to get expert advice. 

For the lower income probably not a huge concern anywhere though. 

I dont reckon there is anywhere as free and easy as Thailand and I have traveled the world been to some stunning places where in the world can a 68 year old guy go and talk with nice young ladies.....? I only look 25 so they say 

I landed in Bangkok 20 years ago at 2-30 in the morning stayed in the JW Marriott and within 2 hours was getting a shag in the room, that never happened anywhere else in the world unless you go to some dirty whore house

• Haha 2

yes, by the looks of it, punters seem hellbent on closing down

any topic that suggests an alternative retirement place then thailand. and i cant figure out why ?

for everyone that leaves there should be less competition and

cheaper hookers for those that want to stay ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

If they are moving to Latin America, let me know their names.  Perhaps I can purchase life insurance policies on them. 

This is just stupid.

Painting every location in Latin America in the same brush.

It's not only fear mongering, it's incredibly moronic fear mongering.

I've been reading this site for years now.

https://cuencahighlife.com/

Murders of foreigners are very rare there.

A high percentage do leave though.
The main reasons --

visa applications too much of a pain

the altitude makes them ill

the pollution makes them ill

old men expecting young ladies to fawn over them greatly disappointed

not nearly as CHEAP as they've been led to believe on International Living, etc.

Failure to speak Spanish so socially isolated.

Can never get their head around the idea of guinea pigs as food (joke) 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are any posters interested in sex stories like this ^

Surely there are sex forums that you can post/read ?

No it's more fun trying to sabotage a sincere informational thread instead that is not about sex tourism. What fun would it be talking only to other pervs? 

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's another JT fantasy thread, pick a place so far away that you'll never dare go.

Vietnam/Philippines/Cambodia are too close, too easy and too realistic an option to consider.

Well, as hes an American, Thailand ais far away and South America is close by (to the USA) 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well, as hes an American, Thailand ais far away and South America is close by (to the USA) 

Yes of course and keep in mind as mentioned in the O.P. this topic also includes people that have been planning to move to Thailand, but based on the extremely negative changes in visa rules here, are reconsidering. Many of those people may be Americans and Canadians. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:12 PM, Jingthing said:

Here is my priority list --

Visa issues -- as easy and quick a process as possible

Visa financial levels -- obtainable based on my lower level U.S. social security pension (happily multiple choices for that) and/or another method that I could use (such as Mexico which has a "show money" outside of Mexico option

Residency issues -- either permanent residence on initial application or a path to permanent residence in a reasonably number of years

Citizenship -- nice to have that choice but not important to me

Beach? -- I don't need it

Urban, rural, etc. -- Prefer a smaller city, from a large town to a smaller big city

Weather -- Looking for year round mild weather

Altitude -- Hopefully not super high up there

Language -- Would prefer a place that you can "get by" with English at least for a while, but considering Spanish is not that hard, not the highest priority

Cost of living -- As low as possible but not willing to live super locally, still want my first world comforts in housing. To be more specific cost to rent something decent between 250 and 500 USD monthly. 

Transport -- Possible to live in the new place without a car high priority

Buying or renting? -- Open to buying only if it appears to be an especially good deal based on the local market and exchange rate. OK to rent indefinitely. 

Pollution -- A city with lots of traffic congestion / air pollution would be a strong negative
Food -- Interesting food, healthy food, international choices but I could compromise for other positive factors

Crime and safety -- As safe as possible. My gauge is if a place is comparably safe to a typical U.S. big city, meaning many many places in Latin America can meet that test

Health care -- Best if there is a buy in to a national system. Possibilities to get not horribly expensive coverage for older people with preexisting conditions in the local market. And/or a retail cost level that would be acceptable without insurance.

"Crime and safety -- As safe as possible. My gauge is if a place is comparably safe to a typical U.S. big city, meaning many many places in Latin America can meet that test"

Better of in the Bronx than   Sao Paulo  or  Rio  honey  ! 555

Good luck if  looking at Brasil ! Been  dere, done  dat, includin   crazy ex  wife. 

It's not 200K USD for Mexico retirement residency.  It's closer to 95K USD. 25K to do for one year. Of course always check for latest info on visa issues for anywhere. Mexico's has changed a lot. I had written off Mexico before because their pension requirement was too high for me, but then they added the show money in the USA option, and they're back high up on my list. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Good luck if  looking at Brasil ! Been  dere, done  dat, includin   crazy ex  wife. 

Brazil is totally out for me as I've mentioned several times. I also think for most people that have issues with Thai visa rules probably are under Brazil's levels as well. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes of course and keep in mind as mentioned in the O.P. this topic also includes people that have been planning to move to Thailand, but based on the extremely negative changes in visa rules here, are reconsidering. Many of those people may be Americans and Canadians. 

Those  "reconsidering "  may only be those  that  were thinking  that  it would  be a  cheap shot" ? 

Oops !  Cheap  choice.

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

Those  "reconsidering "  may only be those  that  were thinking  that  it would  be a  cheap shot" ? 

Oops !  Cheap  choice.

I don't agree. 

The thing is, again as I've mentioned several times, visa requirements and your personal actual cost of living depending on your life choices and location are almost never the same thing. Sometimes they are very far off. You can still live very cheaply in Thailand. That is definite. What you can't do is be legal on long term visa extensions here cheaply. 

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I don't agree. 

The thing is, again as I've mentioned several times, visa requirements and your personal actual cost of living depending on your life choices and location are almost never the same thing. Sometimes they are very far off. You can still live very cheaply in Thailand. That is definite. What you can't do is be legal on long term visa extensions here cheaply. 

Cheers.

No? Establish the  true base  cost permanently, which  relative to western income standards is  not  high ( and even on the loss of best investment potential the compensatory  advantage exists) then less  than  $100  per year  continuance is unsustainable? That is  in  cost terms of  compliance as stands.

Living  costs are an individual choice. 

Thailand  has  enough beggars already.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Absolutely true! Medical facilities in Colombia are excellent and no worries about (except paying for it as usual) in Bogota, Medellin, etc. Most expats in Thailand are not going to be interested in living in Bogota though (they have colder weather). However, living in more provincial areas such as Santa Marta on the Caribbean, I would have concerns about the care level. 

cartagena has quite decent care as many docs like the beach and weather and relocate there

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This thread is not about asserting that Thailand is a bad place to live for foreigners. But many foreigners feel much less welcome here and the immigration changes are very real and very serious for many of us. So if we decide to leave, either by pure choice or partly/largely being pushed out, then we need to go somewhere else. Some of the nations in Latin America have similar attractions to the same people that were attracted to Thailand -- even easier visas as far as financial requirements, lower cost of living for a better quality of life compared to home countries, potential for even much better weather than Thailand specific location dependent of course, lovely delicious food that you can afford to have eating out daily, smiling locals, etc. I get the fear factor that many have. In my view, that might be seen as a feature. Considering Colombia for example, how flooded they would be with gringos if most westerners didn't still think that country is unacceptably dangerous in every locality there. (It is too dangerous in some localities there … so don't go to those places, duh!) 

Cheers.

Thailand is also place specific... I have lived village/small city life here for 20 years... cities don't feel dangerous, but an adjustment for me as I am not used to as many foreigners... speaking Thai makes a big difference in that i can chat with every day people who are truly the salt of the earth. 

Too dangerous in some places is too many places for me.. I lived in NYC and on rare occasion got lost and ended up in wrong places, and it was scary and I often wondered why some of these guys don't get on a subway and come to the good places... and eventually they figured that out... in the 90s, my parents had to move from the West Village because they did not feel safe... 

11 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

No? Establish the  true base  cost permanently, which  relative to western income standards is  not  high ( and even on the loss of best investment potential the compensatory  advantage exists) then less  than  $100  per year  continuance is unsustainable? That is  in  cost terms of  compliance as stands.

Living  costs are an individual choice. 

Thailand  has  enough beggars already.

Your post is bizarre.

You did this before and now it's become annoying.

It's not about cost of visa applications.

It's about what are the financial requirements for such applications.
For retirement that's 65K baht per month or 800K seasoned now for much of the year. 

It's super easy here to live on much much less than 65K per month especially if you own a condo.

15 minutes ago, atyclb said:

cartagena has quite decent care as many docs like the beach and weather and relocate there

That doesn't surprise me. Personally after living in Pattaya, I'm not sure I want to move again to a hot beach resort city but I do realize Cartagena has a lot of attractions that Pattaya will never have (such as the architecture and good beaches). I was talking more about more provincial places. 

I'm looking now to try one of those "spring all year" type places and such places are generally not on the beach. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1