BANGKOK
TallGuyJohninBKK

Indian Groceries in BKK 2019

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but the Rembrandt and Indian food - how is the Rang Mahal these days? It is a few years since I last ate there and I always remember it being tremendous. I will be in BKK next month for a couple of nights so I was thinking of having dinner there once more. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Oxx said:

I order online from http://www.bigfoodbazar.com/

They will deliver to outer Bangkok for a small additional charge.

Thanks for adding them as a good resource here....

Bigfoodbazar.com is the first comprehensive online grocery store in Bangkok. With over 1000 products and brands in our grocery list you will find everything you are looking for. Right from rice and daals, spices and seasonings to packaged bread, bakery and dairy products and other branded foods – we have it all. Save time and money, shop at Bigfoodbazar.com

Looks like they're saying 750b for minimum order, and morning orders can get free next day delivery on orders over 1500b.

Interesting, I looked at their ready to eat meals section first...  They seem to have a very limited selection of the MTR brand meals, and missing a lot of the staple dishes. But for Haldiram's, they have a much larger selection and do have available many of the staple dishes...

Also, FWIW, it looks on a very quick look that their pricing is not cheap compared to Spices R Us, for example. I happened to buy a bunch of Rajdhani brand dals yesterday at Spices R Us, and the prices were typically in the 48-50 baht range per 500g bag. BFB is selling that same brand and products for between 70 to 95b per bag.

But if I didn't live in central BKK and relatively close to several of the actual Indian grocery markets, I'd definitely be giving them a try! Online ordering and convenience is nice...

All products are delivered to your delivery address by our messenger service. All orders placed before 11 am will be delivered the next day and orders after 11 am will be delivered on the third day. However we do allow expections and if you need it the next day please let us know. There is a service charge of Baht 60 for all orders below Baht 1500. All orders over Baht 1500 have no delivery charge. We deliver orders only above Baht 750. For now this delivery is available only to Ploenchit , Sukhumvit 1 to Sukhumvit Soi 71 , Rama 3 , Rama 4 and Silom locations. For other locations there will be an extra delivery charge. Please call us to enquire about delivery rates.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unlike specialty shops in the US, Oz and Europe where you will find shops specialized in Chinese, middle eastern, japanese indian and more laden with impressive selections of frozen, fresh and dry goods from those countries all reasonably priced, Thailand has none of the above, and if they do, you'll have to go and find them in some godforsaken markets or the recesses of some old cities...

Sorry, but in the case of BKK Indian, the Spices R Us market I mentioned above is located a few hundred meters into Sukhumvit Soi 20, which is maybe a 10-15 minute walk from either the Asok or Phrom Phong BTS stations, or a maybe 5 minute taxi ride from either.

There's also another similar Indian grocery market that I haven't visited yet --  Penglee Indian Grocery Store -- that's located right next to the Terminal 21 shopping mall at the corner of Sukhumvit and Asoke roads. So it's not exactly like they're lost out in the wilderness somewhere, though Penglee is a bit harder to find because it's located inside a large Thai fresh market area there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Penglee+Indian+Grocery+Store/@13.7371773,100.558959,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x30e29ee30f5f1d71:0x524712c7530d9c56!8m2!3d13.7371721!4d100.5611477

7 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

still can't find no lentils anywhere locally, always have to go to foodland when in BKK...always plenty of moong dahl available at the market but that gets old after awhile...

Tutsi, you ought to check with the BigFoodsBazar site mentioned above in post #14, and see if they're willing to do a delivery to you out in the hinterlands, and report back here. Their website says they're willing to deliver outside central BKK for a fee, but it doesn't indicate how far outside central BKK they're willing to go.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They seem to have a very limited selection of the MTR brand meals, and missing a lot of the staple dishes.

If you want something that's not on the website you can ask, and they will try and find it for you.  (In my case, I wanted sweet mango chutney.)

• Thanks 1

Recently I have found two, and there are probably more, vendors on Lazada who sell a range of Indian products. For example I purchased 5KG of Atta, whole wheat flour, for Bt150.