Trip up north, Courses and Hotels

JAS21

Plan was to get away from the Bangkok air for a couple of weeks … unfortunately the further north we went the worse it was.

Drove to Nakhon Sawan and played the Army course in the afternoon … Sports days are Monday and Thursday when the green fee and caddy fee is just 360thb. Fairways were a bit dry but when we played the course on the way back a lot of watering was in progress as they were preparing for a competition.

Very unfortunately we arrived on Feb 7th and all the hotels were full, some Dragon Festival, so we stayed in a very basic place! On the way back we stayed at ‘42C The Chic’ … excellent value at 945thb and definitely the best breakfast of the two weeks.

Next day played ‘Waterland’, a very interesting course … great value at 1400thb in total including shared buggy. Stayed in Phitsanulok at D11 about 800thb, nice room but food disappointing … the food used to be excellent. Played Waterland again and then drove to EGAT at Sirikit Dam.

Again our timing was bad … it was EGAT’s ninety two year celebration so we could only stay one night, played the course the next day, 1300thb in total including a shared buggy and then drove to Nan for two days, visiting MrsJ’s friends and shopping.

Then to Mae Moh, their nice hotel was full, EGAT celebrations again, so we drove to Lampang and stayed at Le Neuf, basic but okay. Next day played Mae Moh 2000thb in total including shared buggy.  Nice course, some fairways a bit narrow though.

Drove to Uttaradit and stayed Jong Lux Pak Dee, (1000thb/night) very nice and good food. Next day played Sirikit and then back to Jong Lux for the night.  Played Sirikit again and then there was a room available at the dam so stayed one night. I can highly recommend room 115 (it’s the best one … really a suite) 1500thb. You can eat at EGAT Restaurant, good choice and cheap. There is also food available up at the dam itself, but suspect a bit spicy! 

Then back to Waterland and play. Stayed at The Bed, in Phitsanulok, a very clean place, nice bed and only 600thb but no breakfast.  Played Waterland again and then moved accommodation to Ayara Grand Palace,1000thb. Everything okay there, reasonable breakfast and they have a salt water swimming pool.

Then back to Nakhon Sawan and stayed at 42C The Chic, the following day played the army course again and then drove home, back to some decent air, well almost.

We will definitely avoid the second and third weeks of February if we do that trip again.

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks JAS21 very interesting especially as I have never heard of most of the courses you mention!

What were the green conditions like - generally true and fast or generally slow?

11 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks JAS21 very interesting especially as I have never heard of most of the courses you mention!

What were the green conditions like - generally true and fast or generally slow?

TBH I can make a mess of any green ...MrsJ said in order Mae Moh ... Sirikit ... Waterland ... Nakhon Sawan.

Waterland is worth a visit ...low season is much cheaper. You can stay there and play all day.

EGAT have a lot of nice courses and quite chesp to play ... Every time we visit Kanchanaburi we try and play Sirnakarin Dam.MrsJ plays for 100thb but I have to pay 400thb ...it is the only golf course that I will play that has non-thai price. In the past I could also play for 100thb but someone changed he rules there

Just now, JAS21 said:

TBH I can make a mess of any green ...MrsJ said in order Mae Moh ... Sirikit ... Waterland ... Nakhon Sawan.

Waterland is worth a visit ...low season is much cheaper. You can stay there and play all day.

EGAT have a lot of nice courses and quite cheap to play ... Every time we visit Kanchanaburi we try and play Sirnakarin Dam.MrsJ plays for 100thb but I have to pay 400thb ...it is the only golf course that I will play that has non-thai price. In the past I could also play for 100thb but someone changed he rules there