Optician Recommendation?

mbenson

Visiting Thailand this summer and was thinking that I could save some money on new lenses if purchased there. I just need a recommendation for an optician who is honest and does good work. Anyone? Should I ask this somewhere else? 

Thanks!

Adding to what others have said about Thailand's very high prices for brand name lenses, the technicians performing eye examinations in optical shops have no enforced standards and are not licensed.  Some may be skilled but there are many who are poorly qualified.  Most larger hospitals do have Ophthalmologic services with trained professionals but even in hospitals, caution is necessary as many farm their on site optical shops out to concessionaires who may not be up to the same standards as the hospital.

Like others, I have had nothing but great service and products from Zenni Optical, online.

Tokyo Optical.

Just used them for a second time after visiting many other opticians.  I have special requirements for my vision problem, and most of the opticians seemed a bit out of their depth.  They all had great customer service though, and none tried to rip me off at all.

The Tokyo Optical shop seemed the most confident and experienced to me.  My glasses were not too expensive (compared to the other shops)… I guess about midrange price.  The quality was really good and I am 100 percent happy with everything they did and the cost / quality too.  

Thanks folks. Somebody mentioned a cost of maybe 450-900 Baht for lenses (above). Since I would be looking at at least $400 US for lenses here, that seems doable. I am also going to Taiwan, and could get them there, but that would be more, I'm sure. Maybe I will get a quote here and then see what I can get in BKK. Can always put it off until my return if necessary, or go with Zenni as several folks have recommended.

I will have a prescription already created by a US optometrist. Thanks for your all of your recommendations, awesome response.

17 hours ago, mbenson said:

Thanks folks. Somebody mentioned a cost of maybe 450-900 Baht for lenses (above). Since I would be looking at at least $400 US for lenses here, that seems doable. I am also going to Taiwan, and could get them there, but that would be more, I'm sure. Maybe I will get a quote here and then see what I can get in BKK. Can always put it off until my return if necessary, or go with Zenni as several folks have recommended.

I will have a prescription already created by a US optometrist. Thanks for your all of your recommendations, awesome response.

Just an example.  Two years ago, I needed new progressive lenses.  Price quotes for brand name, high index lenses in the US ranged from $400-600. In Bangkok, I went to about 10 different  optical shops in the Sukhumvit/Pratunam areas and no quote was less than B25,000, about $775) 

Got a pair from Zenni Optical, online, about $150 all in.  Still wearing them two years later, no signs of wear, lenses have held up well.

23 hours ago, mbenson said:

Somebody mentioned a cost of maybe 450-900 Baht for lenses (above). Since I would be looking at at least $400 US for lenses here, that seems doable.

Be aware that my glasses are just for reading or using a PC or watching TV (I have three different prescriptions for those). Hence the reasonable cost.

I give my latest UK prescription to the guy in First Optical and he has the lenses made according to that prescription, and then he fits them to my old frames. I dont let anyone here test my eyes.

14 hours ago, dddave said:

Just an example.  Two years ago, I needed new progressive lenses.  Price quotes for brand name, high index lenses in the US ranged from $400-600. In Bangkok, I went to about 10 different  optical shops in the Sukhumvit/Pratunam areas and no quote was less than B25,000, about $775) 

Got a pair from Zenni Optical, online, about $150 all in.  Still wearing them two years later, no signs of wear, lenses have held up well.

+1 for Zenni...been wearing my progressives for 2 years now and very pleased...didn't even wanna think what they would cost in Thailand...but ye need to get a prescription first for them to do the lenses which is a separate expense (about thb1800 with extra diabetes testing) which I got from the Rutnin eye hospital in BKK...also included a lengthy and very informative chat with one of their ophthalmologists...

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Be aware that my glasses are just for reading or using a PC or watching TV (I have three different prescriptions for those). Hence the reasonable cost.

I give my latest UK prescription to the guy in First Optical and he has the lenses made according to that prescription, and then he fits them to my old frames. I dont let anyone here test my eyes.

Yes. Other than simple reading glasses, you will find that most prescription lenses here cost vastly more than in the US. As stated, Thailand is not a good source for this. Both frames and lenses are very overpriced.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all. Clearly Thailand is not the place for me to get the optical prescription filled. I will be heading to Taiwan after my stay in Thailand, and although that may even more expensive I may be able to get a discount to make it reasonable. 

2 hours ago, mbenson said:

Thank you all. Clearly Thailand is not the place for me to get the optical prescription filled. I will be heading to Taiwan after my stay in Thailand, and although that may even more expensive I may be able to get a discount to make it reasonable. 

It appears you live in USA which is, for most things, the cheapest market price in the world due to size and buying ability (sell more at lower price) not sure why you do not use Zenni or another mail order source easily available there - modern glasses frames are easy to fit yourself if that is your concern (the worst fitting glasses I ever had were from US "professionals").

Archived