Condo landlord says he can't return my deposit on time.

The contract states " not over 15 days after moving out, the deposit will be returned" Not exact wording, but close enough.

Now, the owner is not Thai and claims he is out of the country until 5 days after the 15 day maximum.

The rental agent has already cleared the unit. Checked everything and gave a written report of what will be deducted from the deposit..such as cleaning, electric and water.

I lived there for 24 months and never once had a problem. Paid on time every month.

Is there anything I can do to get this guy to pay on or before the 15 days stated in the contract?

Or should I wait the extra 5 days?

I don't think he can find a way to reduce my deposit as the agent inspected the place. But......

John,  geeeze ... why does every farang have to consider some penalty or immediate action if something is not met fully on time .... 

Do yo want to leave on a sour note ? do you need the stress ?

Do you know the guy fairly well ? .... if he's been ok in the past and you consider him ok, then let him get give it back after 5 days more .... do you need the money urgent ?  if so you could try telling him that ... alternatively I'd wait and take his word for it and get it on the 5th day.

Any other way to try to force him by lawyer or similar will cost you more than a deposit.

Calm down and have a beer until the day comes .... imo

Any landlord with any sense of professionalism would have arranged for the deposit to be made available to the agent, or would have arranged to send it back by bank transfer, on time. This can, of course, be done from anywhere in the world so absence is no excuse. He also had 2 years to get ready for it so it should not have caught him by surprise.

The problem is that most people here are highly unprofessional, and this guy seems to be one of them.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Any landlord with any sense of professionalism would have arranged for the deposit to be made available to the agent, or would have arranged to send it back by bank transfer, on time. This can, of course, be done from anywhere in the world so absence is no excuse. He also had 2 years to get ready for it so it should not have caught him by surprise.

The problem is that most people here are highly unprofessional, and this guy seems to be one of them.

Well, if he was expecting or notified when he was in the country.  If it were a real estate rental company who owned the unit, then yes you would expect a level of professionalism but this sounds like your renting from one individual to another.  

It is not as though he has said he will not refund the payment, just that he needs to return to do it... probably has not setup online banking yet.   I have on occasion forgotten to pay on time (days sort of run together sometimes), and all my landlords have been fine with it... probably as long as I don't make a habit of it. 

I don't know what the big deal about 5 days is...

Rental deposit is not much. A couple of months rental at most. I believe the owner is overseas and making a transfer when overseas is a headache. It is a different matter if he is in country  where transfer can be made in minutes. I suggest like other posters mentioned giving owner a grace period of 5 days as stated. No need to ruffle feathers unnecessarily. On the other hand, if owner has no intention to repay deposit, you would also know if the 5 days are up. Going about it about the 5 days delay May irked the owner into not returning your deposit at all just to spite you. 

I remembered ,years ago, my car had a small scrape with a lady driver. My fault. Just a few scratches on my car and hers. Her car wss about 5 years old corolla. Mine is a Lexus. I promised her to pay her the minor touch up later as I was traveling overseas soon. No need to make an insurance claim. All in good faith. 2 weeks later, I got a message from her that she was going to launch a police report because I have no intention of paying up. I called her up and told her that firstly she had not got back to me about the cost of minor touch up of her car so how am I going to pay her. Secondly I am still overseas. I will only be back in a weeks time. Because of her attitude, I told her in no uncertain words to launch the police report if she so desire. I am not going to deal with her at all given her attitude. Never heard from her again. 

Government should set up rental bond board to hold and distribute bonds to renters or landlords at end of lease.

interest on funds held offsets cost of administration.

stops shonky dealings of landlords holding bond monetise and not returning it.

Government should set up rental bond board to hold and distribute bonds to renters or landlords at end of lease.

Yes, government should be involved in everything.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

They should indeed, and in most civilised countries something like that happens.

The problem here is that it would just introduce one more level of possible fraud and rip-offs.

12 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Rental deposit is not much. A couple of months rental at most. I believe the owner is overseas and making a transfer when overseas is a headache. It is a different matter if he is in country  where transfer can be made in minutes.

The rental deposit in even a half-way decent condo could easily exceed 50,000B or more. That is not peanuts.

Anyone renting out property here should have a Thai bank account, and it is possible with nearly all of them to easily arrange transfers to other Thai bank accounts from anywhere in the world using online banking or a smartphone app. I can certainly do it with all my Thai bank accounts.

As I mentioned, the guy had two years to prepare for this so there is no excuse.

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Great idea in Thailand . Who ever would be in charge of it will be driving Ferrari in no time ????

Do it like most others, use the deposit in lieu of the last month(s) rent and settle the scores once you're out and both the landlord and the tenant have time to clear matters.

I lost my deposit only once as "no have money and no have new tenant" back in the 80s - I learnt my lesson. Ever since I used up my deposit - not quite legal - but until the cogwheels are turning the contract is over and you've settled the scores - fair and amicable. I was taught this by Thai landlords - and learnt my lesson! 

Archived