Thailand faces two booze free weekends as election looms

webfact

Thailand faces two booze free weekends as election looms

4pm.jpg

The Election Commission has confirmed that there will be a 24 hour alcohol ban in the weekend BEFORE the upcoming general election. 

Sunday 17th March will feature  a day of pre-voting.

Alcohol sales and distribution is forbidden from 6pm on Saturday 16th until 6pm on Sunday 17th. 

Thaivisa notes that with another ban expected on the weekend of 23rd and 24th March this will mean two weekends in a row will be affected by the election. 

The election proper takes place on Sunday 24th March.

Pol Col Jarungwit Phumma, secretary of the EC confirmed the ban on 16th and 17th. 

He said that weddings and parties could still be organised at this time but there must be no alcohol.

Prospective candidates are forbidden from going onstage, too, he said. 

No election related polls are permitted in the seven day run-up to the election.

He said that the EC had received 43 complaints via their 1444 hotline and "Pineapple Eye" app with 11 of these related to alleged corruption and the rest being other irregularities. 

All these are currently being processed and investigated. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-05

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was voting, I wouldn't be overly happy with the killjoy party, that stops the party.

Additionally, I would have thought there was a better chance of the election being rigged, without people noticing, if they had had a few drinks.

The amount of alchohol free days in a year here is already pretty crazy.

4 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If I was voting, I wouldn't be overly happy with the killjoy party, that stops the party.

Additionally, I would have thought there was a better chance of the election being rigged, without people noticing, if they had had a few drinks.

Agreed. I take solace in the fact that basically every single store other than the 7/11s and Family Mart will completely ignore this

Apparently the reason for the ban is so that 'you can vote with a clear head.' I think the real reason is more likely to be to prevent voters forgetting which party paid them for their vote.

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Do not worry locals make up for it on all other days????

How many tourists have arrived here looking to relax and have a cold beer only to be told it's banned for a day or two. You can buy some heroin or yaba ...thats ok........no pombem!

The sooner all these monkeys in army and police uniforms are fired the better.

59 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Great advertisement to vote for them.... Not. 

???? I bet there's no other country that ever had to ban booze because of voting. I feel like i am in some weird movie here... 

When I was in India a few years ago during an election there was no alcohol allowed. 

22 minutes ago, Deez said:

What is the point of a ban 1 week before elections?  People need a clear head for a week to vote

As the article says, there is pre-voting the weekend before the main event, to allow those who wish to vote away from their own province, amongst others.

29 minutes ago, Deez said:

What is the point of a ban 1 week before elections?  People need a clear head for a week to vote

i thought the same but then decided not to comment, all the sudden they will change it to a week long booze ban!

1 hour ago, nickstav said:

There will be a surge in the sale of coffee mugs to bar owners.

I think farang name nickstav go bar-beer Thailand many time long already. Know too much????. The giveaway is that we keep topping up the ice in our coffee mug...????

Well I hoped to having a beer at the World Superbikes in Buri Ram on the 17th, it is sponsored by Chang, I wonder if there will be any leeway shown to former politicians who own race tracks. My guess is no leeway, we shall see

1 hour ago, Deez said:

17th is an advance poll! 

"Sunday 17th March will feature  a day of pre-voting.

Alcohol sales and distribution is forbidden from 6pm on Saturday 16th until 6pm on Sunday 17th."

An archaic law!

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Great advertisement to vote for them.... Not. 

???? I bet there's no other country that ever had to ban booze because of voting. I feel like i am in some weird movie here... 

Would suggest you refrain from placing any such bet in Central and South America, you might just lose your shirt.........

https://vinepair.com/articles/election-day-alcohol-dry-laws/

Archived