Thailand faces two booze free weekends as election looms

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that's not all. Internet speeds in LOS for connections outside of LOS have collapsed since Sunday evening. Might be just me, but I'm not a threat to anyone so I doubt it. Anyone else seen a collapse in speed for overseas connections? Instead of seeing my usual 100Mb/S, I'm seeing 0-8Mb/Sec. Government lock-down? I've heard of crazier things in Thailand and it's not as if this government is paranoid or anything.

Wrong strategy. Should encourage EVERYBODY to get drunk. Then NOBODY will notice how the election is rigged. Furthermore, I doubt many sober person will vote for Gen. Stop Fish (read that in Thai) and his merry goons. However, if they were drunk, that would be different.

Meanwhile, thanks for the info. Us living in the real world would already have had the collective inventories of booze from Tesco-Lotus, 7-11, Max Value, Villa Market, Gourmet Market etc. etc. sitting in our homes. Cheers.

Does anyone know the relationship between alcohol and voting? Especially the relationship of the two for the prior weekend and the actual voting weekend. Also, it says sales and distribution. Apparently, consumption is legal so there are no Breathalyzers at the polls, right?

38 minutes ago, MisterPenguin said:

And that's not all. Internet speeds in LOS for connections outside of LOS have collapsed since Sunday evening. Might be just me, but I'm not a threat to anyone so I doubt it. Anyone else seen a collapse in speed for overseas connections? Instead of seeing my usual 100Mb/S, I'm seeing 0-8Mb/Sec. Government lock-down? I've heard of crazier things in Thailand and it's not as if this government is paranoid or anything.

It might just be you. My 100Mb/s is at 120 inside Thai, 101 Mb/s connected to Singapore via Express VPN, and 40 connected to UK. Plenty to watch iPlayer.

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Great advertisement to vote for them.... Not. 

???? I bet there's no other country that ever had to ban booze because of voting. I feel like i am in some weird movie here... 

The Philippines used to, and probably still have one too., but much more sensible, it's only for Filipinos. By showing your foreign passport you could purchase and drink alcohol everywhere and at all times. 

Thailand takes its Mickey mouse elections much too seriously. 

8 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

The Philippines used to, and probably still have one too., but much more sensible, it's only for Filipinos. By showing your foreign passport you could purchase and drink alcohol everywhere and at all times. 

Thailand takes its Mickey mouse elections much too seriously. 

sensible by the Filipinos. Thailand could adopt something similar but it would no doubt be abused. 

It's really the tourists affected by this more than anyone (and anyone Irish this year of course). Never mind guys, you can have a party, just lay off the black stuff until 6pm!

Is my memory playing tricks or were the bans up to midnight on the Sunday on previous election days?

4 hours ago, Deez said:

What is the point of a ban 1 week before elections?  People need a clear head for a week to vote

Isn't the pre-voting so that people can confirm who they will vote for,

and they don't want people inebriated with potential for making mistakes. 

1 hour ago, MisterPenguin said:

Every school holidays, millions of kids on the net all day. Same every year.

5 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"He said that weddings and parties could still be organised at this time but there must be no alcohol."

Killjoys with a capital "K."  A party with no bevy  . . . . ???? ????

It would seem that their is also a ban on drinking alcohol even in private.

But if the General get to be PM their will be much rejoicing and can get plenty of alcohol down yo neck.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Seems rather stupid to ban people who are not allowed to vote....eg expats, foreigners. 

I vividly remember the 2007 election in December, as I was travelling to Singapore on business, was air side at BKK airport, stamped out of Thailand and went to get a beer, "sorry sir cannot sell", why I asked, have election sir was the answer...................... so went to the Thai biz lounge only to find all the alcohol had been removed................. they do take it to the extreme sometimes!

6 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"He said that weddings and parties could still be organised at this time but there must be no alcohol."

Killjoys with a capital "K."  A party with no bevy  . . . . ???? ????

When I was in the AA we still had weddings and parties, but it was next to impossible to find a best man or even guests. This government reminds me of those sorry days ...

18 minutes ago, DLock said:

These posts are just like Ground Hog day.

The same people whining about the same alcohol ban for the same reason.

Sad.

Why do you bother reading them then ?................................Sad

2 hours ago, MisterPenguin said:

Yep, same here, seems better since last night.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If I was voting, I wouldn't be overly happy with the killjoy party, that stops the party.

Additionally, I would have thought there was a better chance of the election being rigged, without people noticing, if they had had a few drinks.

The amount of alchohol free days in a year here is already pretty crazy.

I thought, you need to be dead drunk to participate in this farce. :burp:

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The amount of alchohol free days in a year here is already pretty crazy.

I read about it but I don't pay a lot of  attention  to it.

Do you by chance have any clue as to how many days in the year Thailand  prohibits alcohol?    Just curious..

Archived