Thailand faces two booze free weekends as election looms

webfact

My wedding is on March 16th. I specifically chose this date as it was after the election but the government managed to push dates back once again. Now alcohol ban!

I'm not going to specify where my wedding will be but it will be on a small island so hopefully no enforcement. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm fine, just bought 2 large bottles of Sangsom (rum) and a Red Cock (vodka), that'll last me until the end of the month.

Going easy on the whallop then?   LOL

8 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Well I hoped to having a beer at the World Superbikes in Buri Ram on the 17th, it is sponsored by Chang, I wonder if there will be any leeway shown to former politicians who own race tracks. My guess is no leeway, we shall see

I understand elections are important but this ban will be a nightmare for Superbike organisers. International event, loads of visiting bike fans from around the globe, who will expect to enjoy the event with a few beers.

Add this to the loss of revenue the local bars and restaurants in Buriram who rely on the increase in customers will miss out on.

When will those in charge not learn to check on major events beforehand? 

I am surprised sponsors like Chang have not raised this point as a PR failure.. 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm fine, just bought 2 large bottles of Sangsom (rum) and a Red Cock (vodka), that'll last me until the end of the month.

Lightweight. Get some Black Cock inside you.

(did I just say that out loud?)

black_cock.jpg.5c94b6fe921b2e91c5813a126a81070d.jpg

The usual 7 pages (at present ) of wailing and angst over nothing. Its a 2x 24 hr bans Fer Chriss's Sake and that's only PURCHASE, not CONSUMPTION.

Get over it, its not as if people didn't see it coming. 

If I were a tourist coming to Thailand and suddenly found that for 2 Saturday nights I was not going to a choice whether I had drink I think I would be finding a new destination next time, although you can buy the day before ( so what is the point of this stupid edit?) tourists don't do that and don't want to do that. 

This revelation makes the country look stupid in the eyes of the others, of course its their country and they do what they wish but they really should look at the bigger picture, not to mention the amount of revenue lost through taxes.

13 minutes ago, Holmsedale25 said:

I understand elections are important but this ban will be a nightmare for Superbike organisers. International event, loads of visiting bike fans from around the globe, who will expect to enjoy the event with a few beers.

Add this to the loss of revenue the local bars and restaurants in Buriram who rely on the increase in customers will miss out on.

When will those in charge not learn to check on major events beforehand

I am surprised sponsors like Chang have not raised this point as a PR failure.. 

Yup, sports definitely take priority over a 'minor event' like an election, don't they!

3 hours ago, jacquesslabbert said:

Good. There are countries were selling of alcohol is prohibited it total, not just certain days. Cant see why some of my fellow Westeners get their knickers in a knot over this. When you are in another country you abide by their rules. Period! Have anyone noted that election day is on a Sunday. My oh my, in most other countries the citizens will go haywire if that should happen. They will demand a public holiday, nevermind the economy getting a knock because a normal working day must be given up. Just shows the lack of reason of modern society.

Those tourists going off because they cant buy a beer .... wanna see them going to mid eastern countries....... 

No problem following a freely elected governments rules- not a juntas whims.

I spent the better part of my life in ME and even Saudi I had no problems getting a beer when I wanted.

Mate came for the first time last month, could hardly believe he could not get a drink at 4PM. He asked me what all the blurring out was for on the TV, drinks, guns, ciggies, cleavage, even wounds, all are not real of course. He thought the place was a mad house, especially when he saw some of the electrical installations, him being an electrician. He won't be coming back.

This guy is seriously confused. A booze sale ban does not make for a booze consumption free day. Simply buy your booze before the wedding if you plan to marry on those days and party on. :thumbsup:

Shows how the oligarch elite looks down at those boozing voters all over the land. 

What a circus; I'll be off to Laos then - not even the commis ban booze, neither on election days nor a Buddhist special days ........ 

3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Shows how the oligarch elite looks down at those boozing voters all over the land. 

What a circus; I'll be off to Laos then - not even the commis ban booze, neither on election days nor a Buddhist special days ........ 

Or Vietnam

32 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Yup, sports definitely take priority over a 'minor event' like an election, don't they!

Thousands of visiting WSB fans will have no idea an election is taking place and will have no interest in it. They will be expecting a party atmosphere on Saturday night with live bands and free flowing beer. They're going to be shocked and no doubt get on social media and tell the world that it was the worst WSB ever.,

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

What a load of rubbish this is ,Do they really think that's going to make any difference? If they want Alcohol they will just buy before or go to the corner shop that will sell it anytime Ban or not.

It's just another opportunity for some bloke in a uniform, Mickey Mouse medals and para wings, to strut his stuff and tell people what they can and can't do.

Most of the locals ignore them. Do the same.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Well, the results of the sports competition are probably significantly less predictable than those of the election!

12 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Great advertisement to vote for them.... Not. 

???? I bet there's no other country that ever had to ban booze because of voting. I feel like i am in some weird movie here... 

Maybe the USA should have implemented a ban on alcohol during the voting time in 2016...  the result may be different, if people had had a clear head LOL

8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i was in Pattaya last year, i witnessed a miracle, my cup, (of which i thought was a nice mug of Nescafe) turned out to be LEO , was i disappointed or what,,  he he

I found my bottle of water was gin n tonic,my mates coke .............. 

13 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

???? I bet there's no other country that ever had to ban booze because of voting. I feel like i am in some weird movie here... 

Well you're in a bad movie, elections or not ????????????????

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

This guy is seriously confused. A booze sale ban does not make for a booze consumption free day. Simply buy your booze before the wedding if you plan to marry on those days and party on. :thumbsup:

He is a tea totaler, he does not understand.

They can't do that! Sure, isn't 17th St. Paddy's Day! You can't prohibit drinking that day! Jesus, where am I going to get a drink?!

All joking aside, I'll never understand politicians trying to prohibit this or that. If people want something badly enough, they'll get it. 

15 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Very well said. This guy just can't stop embarrassing himself or the country. They also sure seem to be making it all so much more inviting for their so called beloved tourism industry

2 hours ago, djayz said:

All joking aside, I'll never understand politicians trying to prohibit this or that. If people want something badly enough, they'll get it. 

Simple really.  Ban something popular, then arrest the violators you don't like while turning a blind eye to the violators you do like.  Could be real handy on an election day...

It's called Rule By Law.  Not to be confused with Rule of Law.

Archived