Thailand faces two booze free weekends as election looms

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Apparently the reason for the ban is so that 'you can vote with a clear head.' I think the real reason is more likely to be to prevent voters forgetting which party paid them for their vote.

'A clear head?' An oxymoron.

20 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

How many tourists have arrived here looking to relax and have a cold beer only to be told it's banned for a day or two. You can buy some heroin or yaba ...thats ok........no pombem!

The sooner all these monkeys in army and police uniforms are fired the better.

...complete with the mandatory parachutist's wings.   How often are refresher courses held??

21 hours ago, Creasy said:

Thailand is in the Twilight Zone.

You can't drink because you need to vote but half of the nutters on the road are pissed whilst driving

Actually you CAN drink, you're just not allowed to buy alcohol. It's just another on a long list of zero-thought alcohol laws like not buying alcohol between 2pm-5pm and not selling alcohol near educational institutions. It would be more "logical", in a Thai law sense, to ban drinking alcohol on those days. 

21 hours ago, MARK74 said:

"The election proper takes place on Sunday 24th March."

that sounds like it's been proper translated by a proper cockney init . . 

Er no, it is grammatically correct and a common phrase.

6 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Take a look at what kind of people need and drink booze in the first place. SMH

Have a look back through history. People drank beer and wine as the water was more likely to poison you. The guys who built the pyramids got beer for lunch and dinner.

12 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Two cases of beer, 3 bottles of whisky, a carton of Marlboros, two hookers, lock myself in Friday night and emerge again on a fine Monday morning.

Great if your idea of fun is sitting in the house boozing.

Not so great for pub-goers who like to get out and about.

Not the end of the world for me because I am not out every night.

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Have a look back through history. People drank beer and wine as the water was more likely to poison you. The guys who built the pyramids got beer for lunch and dinner.

So did the British navy until they switched to grog, then rum. The rum ration ceased in 1967 I think. I'm sure I'll be corrected by our illustrious members.????

12 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

So did the British navy until they switched to grog, then rum. The rum ration ceased in 1967 I think. I'm sure I'll be corrected by our illustrious members.????

Can remember a base camp in the ME ( RAF ) that had two compounds, one for ammo and one for beer. Guess which one had the dogs guarding it.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:01 AM, CelticBhoy said:

"He said that weddings and parties could still be organised at this time but there must be no alcohol."

Killjoys with a capital "K."  A party with no bevy  . . . . ???? ????

"From this day forward - for better or worse?" Let's all raise our glasses teacups to the "happy couple"!

So for all those who quote the countries that have a ban on booze during the elections, i bet none of them have a "dress rehearsal" the week before? :-

"Sunday 17th March will feature  a day of pre-voting.

Alcohol sales and distribution is forbidden from 6pm on Saturday 16th until 6pm on Sunday 17th. 

Thaivisa notes that with another ban expected on the weekend of 23rd and 24th March this will mean two weekends in a row will be affected by the election."

"Pre-voting"? :cheesy: Do they not mean "premature re-enactment before the main event"? 

On 3/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

Great advertisement to vote for them.... Not. 

???? I bet there's no other country that ever had to ban booze because of voting. I feel like i am in some weird movie here... 

In the states they can't sell alcohol while the polls are open

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

They get cans of beer instead of the rum now.

There was a clause in mat regs that allowed Rum to be issued if the temp reached -10 during arduous training or operations as recently as the 90s. It came in 1 gal whicker casks & was held in a separate compound ....in the armory ????

british royal navy imperial rum demijohn

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

To add to my previous post re rum.

Ships & Shore establishments will issue a tot of rum if Her Majesty orders "Splice the Mainbrace".  This will only happen after a major incident or ceremonial occasion like a Fleet review etc where the command have been pre warned of the signal. 

33 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

So, St Paddy's Day starts at 18:00 this year.

As to the rest folks, it's 24 hours, twice, with the bars closing for 2 evenings only, hardly the end of the world.

3 Evenings!

Sat 16 6Pm-Sun 17 6pm

Sat 23 6Pm-Mon 25 11Am

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I expect your post will be conveniently overlooked as it doesn't fit the narrative of this thread!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It is the exception to the rule which proves the rule.

Archived