1 minute ago, mstevens said:

Great report, but what a total joke this new system is!

Thanks, yah it's pretty horrible for the people standing out OUTSIDE the embassy with the numbers 200+, they don't even let you go inside the embassy anymore, you just have to stand and dry out in front of the gate ...

Really really not cool, hope my feedback will help some guys not to burn under the sun for 2 hours outside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geisha said:

How long before do you have to apply for a rdv ? Example, say I need a visa before the Friday 29 March ? Just asking for future need. 

I think it's like 2 weeks in advance now so book it ASAP.

Just now, yuiop said:

Vientiane used to be too good to be true for visa applications.

Seems everything is changing, for the worse.

People now getting the blue stamp at their first setv there...

There's a clear pattern going on with visa's, only the blind would fail to see it.

I'm sh**** my pants right now, it's gona be my first visa in vientiane in 2019 but i had 2 done in 2018 ....

Was supposed to go back to Europe in 2 month i might have to get there earlier and eat my passport, yummy.

A friend of mine had the warning stamp (is that what you called blue stamp?) like 2 weeks ago, saying something like that person traveled to many time on tourist visa and might be denied in future.

5 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

I'm sh**** my pants right now, it's gona be my first visa in vientiane in 2019 but i had 2 done in 2018 ....

Was supposed to go back to Europe in 2 month i might have to get there earlier and eat my passport, yummy.

A friend of mine had the warning stamp (is that what you called blue stamp?) like 2 weeks ago, saying something like that person traveled to many time on tourist visa and might be denied in future.

Yes, I mean that stamp. There's few reports of people getting it at their first aplication, but still unlikely to happen imho. Have a plan B anyway, bring your most important belongings along with you.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, yuiop said:

Yes, I mean that stamp. There's few reports of people getting it at their first aplication, but still unlikely to happen imho. Have a plan B anyway, bring your most important belongings along with you.

Kind of too late for that ;)

Wainting untill tomorrow, finger crossed.

50 minutes ago, yuiop said:

Better we travel with the caravan every 3 months ????

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Is this new hassle a coordinated effort to get farangs to disappear altogether?  Thailand, now Lao...can Cambodia be far behind? 

Too many long staying foreigners is not in line with the Party's policy over the next 20 years.

They could potentially influence Thais with stupid ideas like democracy.

5 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

There was a lot of confusion in the queue outside of the embassy where everybody thought that the queue number wouldn't be used at all and that it would be first arrived first served.

Well guess again, they actually use these queues numbers, they call them at the front gate, 0-20 then 0-40 then 0-60 etc.

I don't understand the confusion because I thought the queue numbers would actually give an idea of when to show up.

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

Great report, but what a total joke this new system is!

Its a new system with a small glitch , one the glitch is sorted out , it will be a much better system than the previous one , and there wont be the need for 100's of people to be queued up at 5 AMin the morning

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its a new system with a small glitch , one the glitch is sorted out , it will be a much better system than the previous one , and there wont be the need for 100's of people to be queued up at 5 AMin the morning

Your just not getting it......With the old system they had to be fair to every one as far as taking visa applications....Sure it might have been jam packed some days but it was fair....Now they have the power for all kinds of visa appointment hanky panky.....Sure they might do a fantastic job with the new system but I would not bet the farm on it......

Just now, fforest1 said:

Your just not getting it......With the old system they had to be fair to every one as far as taking visa applications....Sure it might have been jam packed some days but it was fair....Now they have the power for all kinds of visa appointment hanky panky.....Sure they might do a fantastic job with the new system but I would not bet the farm on it......

It wasnt really fair on the Embassy staff though , working late to process all the applications and it wasnt really fair on the people applying , having to queue up at 5 AM .

What kind of "hanky panky" could they do with the new system ?

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It wasnt really fair on the Embassy staff though , working late to process all the applications and it wasnt really fair on the people applying , having to queue up at 5 AM .

What kind of "hanky panky" could they do with the new system ?

O-like limiting or severely limiting the number of available appointments... 

Edited by fforest1

I left Thailand a year ago after living and teaching there for 3 years. I back then had the feeling that the Thai government really didn't want us to occupy their country and things were starting to change. This past year and half confirms my suspicions. I think it is only going to get worse. Why don't they want Europeans and Americans to come anymore? Your guess is as good as mine I really don't know. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

So waited another 1hour, gave the passport, and i was out, 11h30AM went there at 8h30

3 hours really doesn't seem that painful? I certainly wouldn't describe it as "hell". I queue for longer for my 1 year visa extension in Chiang Mai...

17 minutes ago, jimcarr65 said:

I left Thailand a year ago after living and teaching there for 3 years. I back then had the feeling that the Thai government really didn't want us to occupy their country and things were starting to change. This past year and half confirms my suspicions. I think it is only going to get worse. Why don't they want Europeans and Americans to come anymore?

Probably because most long term workers here tend to complain A LOT about how bad Thailand is and how crap the government is? Biting the hand that feeds?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SammyT said:

3 hours really doesn't seem that painful? I certainly wouldn't describe it as "hell". I queue for longer for my 1 year visa extension in Chiang Mai...

Ahaha,

All right all right you got me, can't a man slightly overreact without being spotted !?

BTW i used to do it in 5 minutes, late arriving at 11h30+ and the embassy was always empty.

Just a lot of confusion and people are still showing up probably 2 hours before according to the 100m queue which was already there when i arrived at 8h30.

Now these guys probably spent like 5 hours for their visa, including 3-4hours of waiting outside.

Edited by Pepper9187

22 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

when your range is called, get inside (the security guard will check your queue number)

When you say 'check', is this against a list of names, or do they just look at your email printout?

If they don't check, nothing stops you altering the email before printing it...

Not advising anyone to do so, just pointing out a potential flaw in their carefully thought out process...

• Confused 1

Just now, ParadiseLost said:

When you say 'check', is this against a list of names, or do they just look at your email printout?

If they don't check, nothing stops you altering the email before printing it...

Not advising anyone to do so, just pointing out a potential flaw in their carefully thought out process...

Security guard only check your printed appointment / smartphone BUT the first counter lady has the list on her computer (including queues numbers, names and passport numbers), then the 2nd counter lady has a printed list (crossing names) and the counter boys also have a list.

So there's no way around this, sorry !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My plans were to be there right now but found out it would be impossible to get an appointment until 3 weeks later.
No more Vientiane for me, stupid nonsense. 

Edited by tabarin