money in Thai bank

chanangrak

Hi guys, if you died in Thailand living as retiree and you had 800000 plus bhat in a Thaibank ,how would someone access the money. If you had no family and just a Thai girlfriend would a will be acceptable to Thai authority...or just tell your partner you PIN number(and maybe die a bit earlier???LOL)......do you know of expats with wills written in Thailand...... thanks for any knowledge on this..........ps. I haven't retired yet but have a long term Thai partner who I would like to leave money to.....

DO NOT rely on the PIN number system as that is illegal and easily stopped.

I think you ask a very important question(s) and before all the keyboard warrior lawyers get on board about making sure about wills in other countries etc etc,  I would love to see responses that are for just as asked for by the OP;

How can a simple will for JUST the 800,000Bht in your Thai bank account be "willed/left" to your partner?  (no other assets anywhere in the world).

I would also welcome practical and positive answers.  I have seen this sort of thread get highjacked too often.

Seek advise and make sure it states exactly what you want. My father had a will in US what he wanted wasn’t how the judge read it.

House was supposed to go to his wife and money in bank to his 5 children. Ended up ruled just the opposite. 

17 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Just a will stating that you leave the money to your girlfriend will suffice. You don't need to employ a lawyer to get it done.

What I am certainly looking for and think the OP is;  Where can you get "the form of words" or a blank draft and any guidance on the basic rules, who can witness, executor etc.

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Seek advise and make sure it states exactly what you want. My father had a will in US what he wanted wasn’t how the judge read it.

House was supposed to go to his wife and money in bank to his 5 children. Ended up ruled just the opposite. 

We are asking ONLY about 1 Thai Bank Account with 800,000Bht in it to go to the Thai loved one.  Given the new rules on retirement I believe a large number of retirees will be looking for this simple info. 

To start with you need to make sure the will is written in both Thai and English, so there is no confusion one way or the other.

People say no need for a lawyer, and there isnt, but why take any risks at all, surely its worth the 10,000 baht in order to have peace of mind that your will is written legally and will be accepted by the court in due course.

Just my thoughts, both my wife and I had our wills done professionaly and after all it only needs doing once.

HL

In addition to the above post something else that you need to consider is what you want doing with your body. Do you want it sending back to your home country or do you want your partner to give you a funeral at your local temple etc. 

It is useful to also mention this in your will.

HL

It would be very prudent for an expat to have a proper will in Thailand. I must point out that your spouse needs a will unless you care to spend time, money and more time in Thai probate court. I've met too many expats who spent serious money on lawyers during probate in Thailand, when if the spouse had a will it would have been much less money and far less time. Years in probate court if you get the right "family".  I paid 4000 baht for a proper will for each member of the family by a US expat attorney in Bangkok in 2005. Certainly is an experienced expat attorney in Korat. A will will make it far less costly for your spouse or your designated beneficiary to obtain funds from a bank account. My wills were stamped by a licensed notary and were in Thai and English.  Spending the time and nominal money to have a will for each member of your family will save grief when anyone passes. 

thanks for your ideas.....I know about will disputes in our home countries but I am only interested in what happens in Thailand....to say just write a will no need for a lawyer shows total ignorance ......I think the best advise here is to have a Thai lawyer write and witness a will and also include how you want your body dealt with.....I told my wife to drag me out the back and pour some petrol on my body  and light me up...she said" good idea...cheap!!!."....I dont give a <deleted> what happens to my body....but I suppose a Thai cremation would be best.....so need to leave 50000 bhat to pay for that as well........so much shit to organise in this crazy bullshit world....wills...insurance...visa...licences....bank accounts....marriage...divorce.........as someone >>I think Descarte said  .......man is born free but is everywhere in chains.......

Archived