Grilled crocodile on display in Thai shopping mall.

nasa123

A grilled crocodile was found on display and for sale in a Thai shopping mall in Bangkok on Sunday (March 3).
The skinless reptile was on what appeared to be a spit roast as the vendor carved chunks of meat from the carcass.
The filmer said: "I felt sorry for the crocodile. There was no way I was trying it. I could smell the meat so and it didn't give me an appetite.''

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=iUzf_1551775324

4 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

How is croc meat?

that beast certainly looked a tad undercooked.

I've never had croc, but gator is good if cooked right.  It's readily available where I lived in the US, just north of New Orleans.  I've seen frozen gator in Macro.

the roasting arrangement looks intriguing...wonder if ye could arrange it vertically for a bit of schwarma/kebap etc, a whole goat basted with oil and herbs, whole suckling pig with crackling...the variations would be endless served with a suitable flat bread, condiments and etc...a BKK non thai street food sensation...

• 2 months later...

I've never seen it grilled whole on a spit.  But I have eaten alligator and have seen it butchered and really don't understand grilling the whole animal on a spit as the only usable meat is the two large fillets on either side of the backbone.  Years ago when I had a restaurant in Slidel ,Louisiana, the same lady that I bought soft shell crabs and crawdads from also caught and butchered alligator, but I didn't serve it.

2017-06-30t122346z_521447950_rc15808c417

Workers process crocodile meat at a slaughterhouse on the outskirts of Bangkok. Crocodile meat is sold for as much as 300 baht per kg

Some 1.2 million crocodiles are kept on more than 1,000 farms in Thailand, according to figures from the Thai department of fisheries. Some are equipped with slaughterhouses and tanneries to produce luxury products.

I can't see what any fuss is about, they are not endangered, are humanely killed and good use made of the skins. If people choose to dine on crocodile, which some say tastes somewhat like chicken, I don't see any problem. Apparently the meat is low in cholesterol and high protein value.????

16 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I can't see what any fuss is about, they are not endangered, are humanely killed and good use made of the skins. If people choose to dine on crocodile, which some say tastes somewhat like chicken, I don't see any problem. Apparently the meat is low in cholesterol and high protein value.????

If you want tio try it without having to see one on a spit, they sell it in the frozen food section of Makro where all the other wierd frozen food is stored: turtle, boar, etc.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:29 PM, JimmyTheMook said:

How is croc meat?

that beast certainly looked a tad undercooked.

Tried it a couple times, did not like either taste or texture.

Found texture was watery, and the taste very Fishy, was saltwater crock each time, no idea if freshwater taste different 

They make great shoes and belts though

43 minutes ago, wayned said:

If you want tio try it without having to see one on a spit, they sell it in the frozen food section of Makro where all the other wierd frozen food is stored: turtle, boar, etc.

Shame about turtles, endangered species

43 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Shame about turtles, endangered species

Actually snapping turtle soup is delicious.  It's not made from endangered sea turtles but from logger head snapping turtles.  It's very popular on the north east coast of the US, especially New Jersey.  I grew up in Philadelphia and Delaware and we used to go to Ocean city when I was small .  There were many roadside seafood bars in Sommers Point across the marshes from Ocean city that served raw cherry stone clams and snapper soup.  The soup needs a splash of sherry before you est it but it's great.  It's also served as a starter in many NJ restaurants.

When I lived in Southern Mississippi I had some cattle and a small pond that was stocked with fish and ducks.  The snapping turtles migrated there along with water moccasins.  I used to lay on the bank and shot the heads off the turtles and moccasins when they came up for air with a 22 caliber rifle and a 20X scope.  The turtles were killed because they bit the legs off the ducks and the moccasins because the local children fished in the pond and occasionally you would hook a moccasin.  i made soup a couple of times, but the creatures are a bitch to clean especially when you don't know what you are doing.

The turtles that are sold here are what I call "box" turtles.  My wife bough a couple one day but they ended up as an offering at a "special" temple where we released them in a bog behind the temple.  But the seafood restaurant in Chainat  has turtle on the menu. Not soup but cooked in "guess what" a sauce with a lot of chillis.  It's chopped up shell and all and you have to pick the meat from the shell.  My BIL ordered it one time and I thought that it was disgusting.

20 minutes ago, wayned said:

Actually snapping turtle soup is delicious.  It's not made from endangered sea turtles but from logger head snapping turtles.  It's very popular on the north east coast of the US, especially New Jersey.  I grew up in Philadelphia and Delaware and we used to go to Ocean city when I was small .  There were many roadside seafood bars in Sommers Point across the marshes from Ocean city that served raw cherry stone clams and snapper soup.  The soup needs a splash of sherry before you est it but it's great.  It's also served as a starter in many NJ restaurants.

When I lived in Southern Mississippi I had some cattle and a small pond that was stocked with fish and ducks.  The snapping turtles migrated there along with water moccasins.  I used to lay on the bank and shot the heads off the turtles and moccasins when they came up for air with a 22 caliber rifle and a 20X scope.  The turtles were killed because they bit the legs off the ducks and the moccasins because the local children fished in the pond and occasionally you would hook a moccasin.  i made soup a couple of times, but the creatures are a bitch to clean especially when you don't know what you are doing.

The turtles that are sold here are what I call "box" turtles.  My wife bough a couple one day but they ended up as an offering at a "special" temple where we released them in a bog behind the temple.  But the seafood restaurant in Chainat  has turtle on the menu. Not soup but cooked in "guess what" a sauce with a lot of chillis.  It's chopped up shell and all and you have to pick the meat from the shell.  My BIL ordered it one time and I thought that it was disgusting.

What seafood restaurant in Chainat is that and what's it like (other than the disgusting turtle dish, of course)?

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

What seafood restaurant in Chainat is that and what's it like (other than the disgusting turtle dish, of course)?

I've eaten other food there and it's quite good. I don't know the name but it's on highway 1 toward Takhli before the new Global house.  It's on the right heading toward Takhli.  The dual highway has a concrete center divider and it turns to grass about 1-2  Kilometers past the bird sanctuary.  When the medium turns to grass it's on the right.  The next complex is a brightly painted motor inn and then Global house.

Yes much to my shame I have eaten turtle soup many years ago in France and then some years later in PNG, yes delicious, served with dry sherry.

The soup in PNG is made from a now endangered species. It is part of many local traditional foods, but none the less the species are endangered .

18 minutes ago, essox essox said:

seen this meat been sold in a market when I was in Chiang Mai......along with kangaroo meat...I just HOPPED along to Macdonalds !!!

Ostrich meat!! Lovely. And one egg is a whole breakfast meal in itself.

I agree about dog. Needs to be cooked properly though. Never eaten kangaroo, but an Ozzie I know made a fortune shooting them.

There is an advert on Thai TeeVee about drinking crocodile blood. All the rage; I'm told. Makes ladies look younger!

There is a lama farm next to Lewis Hamilton's home in Tewin. I think they breed them for the meat.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:37 PM, wayned said:

I've never had croc, but gator is good if cooked right.  It's readily available where I lived in the US, just north of New Orleans.  I've seen frozen gator in Macro.

Agreed 'gator is good but need a lot of hot spices to give it some bite.

Archived