Any Americans here created an IRS online account?

Are there any U.S. nationals on this forum who successfully created an IRS online account? Seems would be useful for keeping track of balances, payment history, etc. However, the instructions say you need a US-based mobile phone registered in your name to complete the online registration. (I guess they would send some kind of verification code there.) Does that mean we can't register if overseas?

I just tried...and used a VPN in order to get a US IP address just in case.

I couldn't get past the 2nd screen/point where it asks for your name, SSAN, your filing status last year (i.e, joint return, single, etc), and address used on your return.   I keep coming back saying the info does not match their records.  I did get past their first screen where it just wants to verify your email address by first emailing you a security code....not to be confused with the mobile phone verification that would have probably occurred if I could have gotten farther thru the process.

After three tries of trying to get past the 2nd screen it locked me out from further attempts....said I can try again in 24 hours.  And if it's like getting a Social Security mySSA online account that does the same thing...that is, gives you three tries before locking your out for 24 hours.....if you try again after 24 hours and get locked out again after three attempts, then your are locked out from any further attempts....must call them to try to work out the problem.

Edit: can't answer the part about the "overseas address question" as I use a US APO military address when filing and forget to look if an non-US address was allowed...and their pull down menus used for part of the address entry did have APO entries to select from....I just forgot to look if it allowed non-US addresses....just FYI for you folks using APO/FPO addresses.

16 hours ago, Pib said:

I just tried...and used a VPN in order to get a US IP address just in case.

I couldn't get past the 2nd screen/point where it asks for your name, SSAN, your filing status last year (i.e, joint return, single, etc), and address used on your return.   I keep coming back saying the info does not match their records.  I did get past their first screen where it just wants to verify your email address by first emailing you a security code....not to be confused with the mobile phone verification that would have probably occurred if I could have gotten farther thru the process.

After three tries of trying to get past the 2nd screen it locked me out from further attempts....said I can try again in 24 hours.  And if it's like getting a Social Security mySSA online account that does the same thing...that is, gives you three tries before locking your out for 24 hours.....if you try again after 24 hours and get locked out again after three attempts, then your are locked out from any further attempts....must call them to try to work out the problem.

Edit: can't answer the part about the "overseas address question" as I use a US APO military address when filing and forget to look if an non-US address was allowed...and their pull down menus used for part of the address entry did have APO entries to select from....I just forgot to look if it allowed non-US addresses....just FYI for you folks using APO/FPO addresses.

Thanks for replying. I also couldn't get past the 2nd screen, saying my info does not match records and then locking me out. If you ever succeed, pls let me know.

9 minutes ago, david_je said:

Thanks for replying. I also couldn't get past the 2nd screen, saying my info does not match records and then locking me out. If you ever succeed, pls let me know.

I'm going to give it another try tomorrow...make sure I'm way past the 24 hour mark.  I don't know why it kept saying no-can-do after entering the 2nd screen info....that is, saying the info I entered didn't match their records.  I've used the same address for filing my returns for the last 10 years....and had the same name and SSAN since birth.  Sometimes the "real" reason given for rejection really has nothing to do with the reason appearing on the screen....it's some other underlying issue.  

By the way, did you try again on another day?

I think you have to be in the states to open account and probably to log on in general. I set mine up last summer when I was in the states and was just there last month and it works fine. I could not create an account when in Thailand. Just as well I don’t want them to know where I am anyways. 

7 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I think you have to be in the states to open account and probably to log on in general. I set mine up last summer when I was in the states and was just there last month and it works fine. I could not create an account when in Thailand. Just as well I don’t want them to know where I am anyways. 

It's more than that....I was using a US IP address and US address.

Yes, I did it successfully last year, from Thailand. Unlike some of the folks who have already replied, I had no issues with data mismatches, so the sticking point for me was getting a code sent to a US cell phone. (I maintain a US mobile phone, but it doesn't have roaming of any kind.)

Once you reach that step, you have the option of having an activation code sent by snail mail to your tax filing address on record instead of SMSed to an American cell phone. (I use a US address when filing, so I'm not sure whether a Thai address would work.)

The code arrived there within about a week as promised, and I had it scanned and emailed it to me. It has to be used within a week or so, so forwarding probably wouldn't work. Once I had the code, I was able to complete the registration process without much problem. The site asks you to install the IRS2Go app, and then has you enter a code into the app and get a code in return that you key into the site to confirm that everything is working.

Once that's all done, you're good to go. From that point on, you use the app to generate one-time codes that allow you to access the site without using a US cell phone.

I haven't had any problem accessing the site or the app from Thailand. The site did block me when I was in Vietnam, but once I turned on a VPN I could get in with no problem.

For the life of me I can't think of why anyone would want to get friendly with the IRS..... I have a Social Security account and that's as far as I'm going.

(I'm a retired CPA and I would suggest any American living outside of the country find a good accountant/CPA and have your taxes prepared professionally.)  

I am a US CPA (retired tax partner from PwC) living here in Hua Hin (and Bangkok occasionally). I have over a dozen clients here in Thailand that I do US tax returns for. Ping me if you need tax advice.

I will say setting up a EFPTS (Electronic Federal Payment Tax System) account is difficult from Thailand, but not impossible. Needs a few work arounds.

Several years ago I tried. After many attempts I was able to contact the IRS and you can't do it from outside the United States. I'm not sure if that was the contiguous mainland states or all the states, but it really doesn't matter. IRS is not a problem for me. I use a free tax preparer that I got from their site and I use their "where's my refund" portal. My income is so low it doesn't make any sense for me to use anything but the basic 1040 and standard deduction. The one I really wanted was the Social Security administration. That's another one that will not allow members from outside the U.S. You have to understand that the laws and regulations involved are outdated, archaic, and arbitrary. When Hillary Clinton set up her own mail server it WAS NOT against the law nor against State Department regulations. It is now, but because of procurement restrictions the U.S. government IT is a mess. It's so bad the U.S. Navy is still using Windows XP on its combat ships.

I tried again today....once again, couldn't get past the 2nd screen as an error message would appear saying entries didn't match their records.   I triple checked my name, SSAN, filing status and address (an APO address)....all correct.  As mentioned earlier I've filed with this APO address for the last decade and their system allows an APO address entry instead of just from one of the fifth states.  I only tried once to keep from getting locked out.  I may try again in a few days.

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Is the type of IRS account being discussed the same thing as EFTPS? I have that, and it works from Thailand, but I set it up a long enough time ago that I don't remember how I did it.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Unless you keep really lousy records, not really sure about the overall utility of this..... It's not the same as EFTPS, but they do share one useful utility -- the ability to pay online with an electronic funds transfer.

I too set up my EFTPS account while still living in the States, so don't know how hard it is to set up over here. Pib?

23 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Created my EFPTS account years ago in the USA and view it regularly here in Thailand without VPN.

I have not tried to sign up to view my IRS account, but I have been using EFPTS in Thailand for years.

I have also been filling federal taxes on IRS's website for free in Thailand for years. Just use an inactive phone number. https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-fillable-forms/free-file-fillable-forms-military-and-international-filers

In retirement my taxes are basically the same every year, so I do not need an accountant. I may use turbo tax to help check my math. Only $79.99 for the premier version.

i have both an IRS.gov and a SSA.gov. accounts that i set while living here in Thailand. I also have a US Skype number that i use for all such purposes such as call backs and sms's. I do have VPN but don't have to use it to get thru. I think the problem you and others are having is not a valid us phone number. I use a US postal address and my US skype number and have enrolled in both programs with no problem.

For your info the skype number costs $ 52.00 per year and is renewable every year. Hope this helps 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, Blue bruce said:

i have both an IRS.gov and a SSA.gov. accounts that i set while living here in Thailand. I also have a US Skype number that i use for all such purposes such as call backs and sms's. I do have VPN but don't have to use it to get thru. I think the problem you and others are having is not a valid us phone number. I use a US postal address and my US skype number and have enrolled in both programs with no problem.

For your info the skype number costs $ 52.00 per year and is renewable every year. Hope this helps 

Thanks for that. But problem is I and at least one other poster here could not get past the second screen on the online application for IRS.gov account, before they ask for any phone number. It just says our inputted info is in error, which it isn't. When did you register for your IRS.gov account while in Thailand, and was the registration application same as it is now? By the way, does the account show all transactions made with IRS, notices send to you, receipt of mailed payments, etc.? What is scope of info? I registered to pay by EFTPS, but I believe that only shows payments made by EFTPS, nothing else. Thanks.

Yea, I can't get past the second screen....1st screen just confirms your email address....I get past that one no problem.  2nd screen you enter name, SSAN, birthdate and address....I can't get past that one. 

1st or 2nd screen does not ask for your phone number...that must occur somewhere after the second screen which I can't get past. 

Tried it  again a few minutes ago two times using minor variations of the address I have used for the past 10 years to file tax returns which is the address they ask for on the 2nd screen....no luck.  Will try again in a few more days.  Stopped after two attempts today because if you fail to register after three tries it locks you out for 24 hours....and I expect it probably keeping count of previous tries (like my 2 tries this morning and some other tries over the last week).  Will not be surprised if at some point it just locks me out permanently until I call the IRS and try to work out the registration problem.  I really don't need the account....but it would be nice to have I figure to be able to check on your tax records via online.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got past the 2nd screen tonight with a variation of my address.  Got to the screen where they ask to verify your name via your mobile number which means you need to have a post paid/fully registered mobile account.  Said up front a Google Voice number wouldn't work but that's what I tried....and it wouldn't work....their system said they can't verify my name against that number.

So, they are mailing me an activation code to my APO address which they said is suppose to arrive within 5 to 10 calendar days and if you don't get it within 15 days you have to request another one.  Nice way of saying the activation code should arrive your mail box within 10 calendar days and you need to use it by then....maybe they will give you up to 15 days to use the activation code.  But after 15 days it's probably expired....start over.  Typically it takes about 12 days for mail to get from the US to my APO address.

Will give an update in a couple of weeks....did I receive the code via mail in time...did it work...etc?

On 3/21/2019 at 9:29 PM, Pib said:

Well, I got past the 2nd screen tonight with a variation of my address.  Got to the screen where they ask to verify your name via your mobile number which means you need to have a post paid/fully registered mobile account.  Said up front a Google Voice number wouldn't work but that's what I tried....and it wouldn't work....their system said they can't verify my name against that number.

So, they are mailing me an activation code to my APO address which they said is suppose to arrive within 5 to 10 calendar days and if you don't get it within 15 days you have to request another one.  Nice way of saying the activation code should arrive your mail box within 10 calendar days and you need to use it by then....maybe they will give you up to 15 days to use the activation code.  But after 15 days it's probably expired....start over.  Typically it takes about 12 days for mail to get from the US to my APO address.

Will give an update in a couple of weeks....did I receive the code via mail in time...did it work...etc?

Hi, how did you vary your address such that you were able to proceed? Address must be same as on tax return, no? Good to know there's option to get the code by mail. Do they require that it be mailed only to the address used in tax return? In my case that would be Bangkok, and it often takes more than 15 days for letters to arrive.

Thank you for your update, and please let us know when you get the code.

My address is a military APO address...the first address line uses an abbreviation of the APO organization versus a street name "and then followed by a box number."  I stumbled upon a webpage saying in those cases only enter P.O. Box 1234 or Box 1234 type entry for the street address....I did that and it worked.

They use address you used to register with which is the address onfile with the IRS.  The address you have onfile with the IRS is probably going to be the address you used on your last federal tax return.  I say "probably" because people do change address after filing their return and can update the IRS of their new address by submission of a form to update their address in case they just don't want to wait until they file their next return.  

Yeap, I hear you taking around two weeks for mail to arrive Thailand from the US....even to my military APO address here in Bangkok...a typical mailing/letter takes around 10-12 day to arrive.  So, I'm going to check my APO at around the 9 day point...this Thursday or Friday to see if the letter arrived but I'm not holding my  breath.  If it don't arrive by late this week I'll check again early next week just under the 15 day point.  From the IRS registration page weasel/vague wording it implied I should get and use the activation code within 10 days...and if not getting it within 15 days to ask for another one/remailing.  So, that implies to me I will have up to 15 days to use the activation code before it expires....or maybe 10 days is the limit....the IRS wording was just vague. 

I am going through the process of getting my stepson's IRS records for him.  He lived+worked in US for a few years and then moved back to Thailand.  He's not sure if he filed US taxes for his last year so we need to make sure his tax status is good.

I couldn't complete the registration of an IRS account on his behalf because he couldn't remember which address he used for his last filing.  I tried some likely addresses until locked out for that day.  I decided to go down a different path.

There is a slow process to get around the address problem.  Download form IRS 4506-T and complete it, sign it and mail it to them.  Hopefully the transcripts you receive will contain the exact address they are expecting when you are registering for the IRS online account.  I gave the link to the IRS webpage describing this process in a previous post about IRS accounts.

I retrieved this link from that previous post  LINK

And in that LINK gamb00ler gave above is how to format your address entry....that IRS webpage I said I stumbled upon but couldn't find again that gave instructions on how to enter an address using a box number like a APO address....and it worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 9:29 PM, Pib said:

And here's the promised update. 

Received the activation code in the mail today...took 19 days to get to me, although it might have arrived on 4 Apr ( 5 days ago) but the APO mailroom was closed until today/9 Apr.   Anyway took me around 19 days to get the code via mail.

When I opened the IRS letter I figured the activation code would have an Expiration Date which was already past...like good for only 10 to 15 days like implied when requesting the code...like talked in my above post.    But thankfully the activation code was good for 30 days from 21 March which is when I initially requested...so the code was still go till around 21 Apr.

Anyway, I used the code to activate my account....I got logged on.  Logged on several times via VPN with US IP address and also without VPN using a Thai IP address....no problems logging on from a Thai IP address. 

During the activation they also require you to setup 2 Factor Authorization to receive a security code for each logon...you can choose to receive the code via a voice call or text.   I choose the text to my Google Voice (GV) number....worked fined as I logged on probably 4 times.....got the security code to my GV number within a second or two.   While your  GV number can "not" be used for identity verification during the initial registration (i.e, what I did on 21 Mar), a GV number works fine to receive the 2FA security code to logon each time.

I surfed around a little for about 15 minutes....will look more over the coming days.  I looked at my tax transcripts.  Also went into the area to see if I owed any taxes and where I could pay any outstanding taxes...even setup a payment plan.   I owed no taxes...and it showed the small amount I had to paid this year when I filed by 2018 return in mid March....yea, I didn't get  refund...had to send Uncle Sam a little more than I had deducted throughout the year.

Anyway, I now have an IRS account.     And if you need to receive an activation code to finalize your registration its good for 30 days which should be plenty of time to reach you in the mail before the code expires.

Archived