Small Farm/Garden irrigation system, Info Needed

bubbaba

I live just outside of Korat on two rai  for house and garden plus fruit trees. I need to install some type of watering system.  I am tired of hauling  hoses every day and standing there watering plants. We have a well next door, MIL, and we are hooked up to village water. I know nothing about what  I need  or should do.  I need advice and information. Please inform me.

• Like 2

This a system I installed for a local primary school, when I saw the students trying to water by hand. A more elegant solution is under soil drip irrigation. You can buy the pipes at any DIY store.

You don't need to use solar, a regular ac pump would work.

2chKeU3.jpg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

Unfortunately village water pressure may be a problem at times for you with drip irrigation even with pressure compensating drippers. I would use a pump with 20mm or 25 mm feed line with adjustable rate drippers. Crank it up then go around to your plants and adjust your flow rate to each plant then put a timer on it. If its a large system you might want to zone it out in sections to water at different times depending on your flow rate capacity. Dont use the underground drip tapes they sell here, they clog up fast and are a waste of money. The adjustable rate dripper heads can be screwed off and cleaned easily. Also A screen mesh filter at your water source is a must. A pressure reducer if you can find one is nice too. You can buy most everything you need on lazada and DO Home has a good selection too.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oh-50xadjustable-irrigation-drippers-sprinklers-emitter-drip-systemon-14-barb-i2584247-s3059901.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.27.37002173fZqK7E&search=1

• Like 1

In case you have not found what you need, you might look at www.Superproducts.co.th.  If you are in or near Udon, I have a local farm supply shop that offers a decent discount but he will need to order in everything from them.  3-day delivery and he ships if you are not local.  Also he understands and speaks decent English if I talk slowly.  Let me know if I can help.

• Like 1

You'll need to use quite a lot of water for 2 rai, and if you use village water the cost will soon rack-up. Also you'll probably need a storage tank and pump if the pressure is too low (especially during the dry season), as well as the irrigation system itself.

Since you have a readily available well, you'd be better to use that. Just provide a pump, and supply the electricity yourself (plus the odd bottle of Chang to the MiL).

You'll need a pretty big capacity pump (2"), and large bore pipework to give a reasonable spray from the sprinklers if you want to irrigate the whole area at once.  Better to use a smaller pump (1") and section off the area into manageable plots, although you'll still need to manually switch between each section... or you could automate it with timers and solenoid valves.

Also, a smaller pump will have less risk of emptying the well and damaging the pump.   Better to use a small pump a longer period each day.

edit:  A surface run pipe is better than burying it as it's easier to install (& move if necessary for mowing, or ploughing, etc) although it doesn't look as nice (in a garden setting).  Surface piping is more easily damaged, but if it does get damaged it's MUCH easier to repair or replace.

I have a 2" pump supplied buried system on 6 rai, sectioned into about 6 individual areas, but every time an above-ground connection gets damaged it can be a major repair job; digging it up and replacing "T's" is not easy in a straight run....  If I'd installed it myself it would be totally above ground.

Edited by steve73

DoHome or GlobalHouse have all you need.

Wesco has online pdf's of their irrigation parts

sold at these two places above. PE, HDPE lines,

large assortment of drip tapes with 8cm to 50cm

dripper spacing and flow rates. PC.nonPC dripper's

with different flow rates. Filters and flow regulators.

fertigation injectors.  Large selection of mini sprinklers

and large sprinklers. And irrigation controllers and

valves.

I did over 2 rai with drip tape, corn, beans, eggplant,

papaya and chilies.

This is where I got my parts when I lived in Muang Korat.

rice555

Edited by rice555
needed to add info
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the comments and information. I added a water tank to my garden area and it is filled from the MIL well. We have one weeping line layed out so far as a test to see how it works. If all is OK I will add five more lines. Maybe later I will add a pressure pump if needed. I also have a hose connected for plants that need water not supplied by the drip system.  Again, thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

hello there, i was searching for irrigation info and saw this thread, sorry to jump in on it but wondered if someone could give me some help too..

i have some flower beds i'd like to set up a system on,  3 x 20m straight runs, but so far my trials didn't work.
firstly i bought pop up sprinklers, idea was place them in the garden so that they watered both grass and plants at same time, they were adjustable but even so i could only attach 2 otherwise they didnt work properly.

next i tried a cheap kit from Lazada, i used 20m of 4mm pipe and tee'd off 22 drippers the the various plants, tuned it on to set the flow to each but the water barely got 2/3 along the pipe, even when we shut them all off the water wasn't flowing well...is that pipe too small to be the main feed?

i have the same drippers as the link above, you can set them from 1-70 lt per hour, so even with them all fully open the pump is at half capacity...(i believe)

i have the yellow Mitsubishi water pump WP305, the flow rate is 55l per min which equals 3300 per hour, 

i'm hoping its just bigger delivery pipe needed as i didn't really intend to buy a different pump, but would like to hear form someone with experience in this...cheers

Edited by harriott456

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone, I'm new here! Just found this thread, and maybe you guys can help me... I have a lawn in my backyard, and soon I will be spending a lot of time far from home. My sister said she will take care for it, but I don't think she will spend as much time on it as I did, and I really don't want my lawn to die while I'm absent.
So I consider choosing one of automatic sprinklers, so my sister just has to come from time to time and make sure the device is working well. Does anyone here have an experience of using number one or number three from this article?