BANGKOK
webfact

Thai law allows those suffering to take steps to end their lives

Great.  So the next time someone pees me off then I can put one in his temple and just tell plod that he asked me to help him die.  :cheesy:

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

If you can't kill wild dogs in Thailand, it stands to reason you can't kill yourself.

Nicely spotted... you beat me to it!

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

If you can't kill wild dogs in Thailand, it stands to reason you can't kill yourself.

Oh, but you can. In the 'ranking order', we (farangs) are well below soi dogs.

45 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

A Euthanasia go-go bar sounds quite attractive to me.

so long as it's top-less go-go and if you cant get a rise out of that, then it's certainly time to end it.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What's wrong with a balcony?

i am afraid of heights.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mikebell said:

In my area when I was out of country and no local vets would euthanize my old dog in her final stages of suffering.  My Thai family did not want to see it happen either so when I returned to Thailand (she had died naturally after 3 days ) I found one vet who when pushed for an answer said they hate to euthanize but should it ever happen to my 2 other dogs he could do it for 4,300 baht?  Everything has a price right?  I don't see this protect life at all costs and humane treatment when killing various animals for meat consumption?

If they won't euthanize loved pets what are the chances of enacting laws where people can humanely end their lives here?

Edited by gerry1953

From personal observation in Thailand  Doctors will acknowledge and respect a patients verbal request for non intervention. Also from immediate family. In both situations  death was imminent and medically unavoidable beyond the short  term.

I can not see how any legislative system could provide more than that which could  guarantee no criminal abuse if assisted suicide or euthanasia was permitted despite the fact that in situations of extreme suffering  it would be the kindest option or personal choice.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would urge anyone living in Thailand to create a living will asap, especially if you don't have insurance (which you should get). My best friend is currently in Bangkok caring for his father, who is an expat there with no insurance, who unexpectedly got a brain tumor and has declined within the past 2 months to being a complete vegetable. He has been kept alive despite being in a horrible state, because he had no living will and there are no euthanasia options in Thailand. It's a nightmare for my friend, as he has to do visa runs for his dad, deal with Thai doctors without the ability to speak Thai, he had to find a decent hospice for him and get him transported there, etc. , and he has run through his whole inheritance, with no support whatsoever.  He can't leave Bangkok and is sort of in limbo with his life until the dad dies. I feel so bad for him (and less so, for the dad). The latest update (this morning) is that the doctors finally took his father off the intubation, and are going to starve him going forward, but this should have happened way earlier.  Most of these problems could have been avoided if there had been a living will in place. 

Edited by girlx
  • Like 1

I don't know what's the big deal. Most countries in the world have an option on a paper to tick and sign that says "do not resuscitate." And if you're a vegetable that can't make that decision, your immediate family can call it a day for you. You can write a will anywhere. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:13 PM, SweetStickyRice said:

I don't know what's the big deal. Most countries in the world have an option on a paper to tick and sign that says "do not resuscitate." And if you're a vegetable that can't make that decision, your immediate family can call it a day for you. You can write a will anywhere. 

That's the whole point. It's called a living will, and no, you can't write a will anywhere and expect it to be legally valid in Thailand.