using Tricare overseas select in Thailand

andynyc2003

Is there anyone using Tricare overseas select in Thailand and made the claim recently? I’m a US Navy retirees and enrolled in Tricare overseas select group A. I went to Phayathai hospital for an acute gout attack yesterday. In order to claim that I know I have to download the claim form and submit with the hospital bills. But one thing makes me confused, on the website said it should include sponsor ’s SSN OR BENEFITS Numbers on the hospital bill, which I don't have it on it. Is there a problem?

Please share your experience, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The sponsor SSAN/DBN does not have to be on the receipt....I've been using Tricare for 10 years here in Thailand for the wife and I.   The receipt definitely has to have the patient's name on it.   You could hand write in the sponsor SSAN/DBN number on the receipt just to play it safe.   

You say you don't know the sponsor's SSAN but aren't you the sponsor as you are the military retiree?   Like I'm the sponsor for my wife.   When completing the DD form 2642 in Block 10 it asks for the sponsor's social security number.  When a claim is for me...I enter my SSAN....when the claim is for my wife since I'm the sponsor my SSAN gets enter also not the wife's SSAN.    

I always file my Tricare claim online.  Complete the DD From 2642, attached the reciepts(s)/bills and Medical Certificate (i.e, the doctor's summary of what they did), scan, and then upload to Tricare.   Over the years I have received payment ranging from approx 10 days to 20 days....last couple of claims have been around the 10 day mark.  I have the reimbursement Direct Deposit versus waiting on a check via snail mail.

The sponsor SSAN/DBN does not have to be on the receipt....I've been using Tricare for 10 years here in Thailand for the wife and I.   The receipt definitely has to have the patient's name on it.   You could hand write in the sponsor SSAN/DBN number on the receipt just to play it safe.   

You say you don't know the sponsor's SSAN but aren't you the sponsor as you are the military retiree?   Like I'm the sponsor for my wife.   When completing the DD form 2642 in Block 10 it asks for the sponsor's social security number.  When a claim is for me...I enter my SSAN....when the claim is for my wife since I'm the sponsor my SSAN gets enter also not the wife's SSAN.    

I always file my Tricare claim online.  Complete the DD From 2642, attached the reciepts(s)/bills and Medical Certificate (i.e, the doctor's summary of what they did), scan, and then upload to Tricare.   Over the years I have received payment ranging from approx 10 days to 20 days....last couple of claims have been around the 10 day mark.  I have the reimbursement Direct Deposit versus waiting on a check via snail mail.

I do know my SSN, what I’m trying to say it’s not on the receipt and the cashier doesn’t know how to add it onto the receipt. I’ll hand writing on it today when I file the claim. Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, andynyc2003 said:

I do know my SSN, what I’m trying to say it’s not on the receipt and the cashier doesn’t know how to add it onto the receipt. I’ll hand writing on it today when I file the claim. Thanks for the help!

I hand write various things on my receipt I get from my hospital here in Bangkok.  The receipt is mostly in English but not their address (it in Thai) in their letterhead on the receipt.  So I hand write their address in English just below the Thai address.   I also hand write in my physicians name and phone number.  And there is one admin charge for couple of hundred baht that Tricare allowed/reimbursed for years and years but then one day stop....talking to them on the phone they said the description was inadequate because it only said "Other Medical Charges" which was really an admin charge the hit everyone with....Thai or farang. 

Anyway, I filed an online appeal/rebuttal saying the charge should be allowed/reimbursed because its an administrative charge applied to all patients.  Well, Tricare approved the appeal and when I saw the revised/updated benefit statement I saw the Tricare "recoded" the charge (they have a 5 digit code for every medical service/product) along with a new description.   So every since then I have handwritten the 5 digit code and description Tricare used on the same line of the receipt where it says Other Medical Charges and Tricare has always allowed/reimbursed it.   And over the years I found out a half dozen or so tidbits of coding/description to include on your receipt or DD From 2642 to help ensure maximum reimbursement.  

And I would recommend filing online and setting up direct deposit to a US bank (you can do that online also) because that way you'll get paid/reimbursed in around two weeks.  Otherwise, you must deal with snail mail going and coming and then cashing a reimbursement check.

I hand write various things on my receipt I get from my hospital here in Bangkok.  The receipt is mostly in English but not their address (it in Thai) in their letterhead on the receipt.  So I hand write their address in English just below the Thai address.   I also hand write in my physicians name and phone number.  And there is one admin charge for couple of hundred baht that Tricare allowed/reimbursed for years and years but then one day stop....talking to them on the phone they said the description was inadequate because it only said "Other Medical Charges" which was really an admin charge the hit everyone with....Thai or farang. 

Anyway, I filed an online appeal/rebuttal saying the charge should be allowed/reimbursed because its an administrative charge applied to all patients.  Well, Tricare approved the appeal and when I saw the revised/updated benefit statement I saw the Tricare "recoded" the charge (they have a 5 digit code for every medical service/product) along with a new description.   So every since then I have handwritten the 5 digit code and description Tricare used on the same line of the receipt where it says Other Medical Charges and Tricare has always allowed/reimbursed it.   And over the years I found out a half dozen or so tidbits of coding/description to include on your receipt or DD From 2642 to help ensure maximum reimbursement.  

And I would recommend filing online and setting up direct deposit to a US bank (you can do that online also) because that way you'll get paid/reimbursed in around two weeks.  Otherwise, you must deal with snail mail going and coming and then cashing a reimbursement check.

When you claim for your wife, did you submit through your account or hers?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, andynyc2003 said:

I used my account to submit her claims, using electronic signature under my name, it went through and just got paid yesterday. We did allow each other to access information on both of our accounts. Maybe that’s why.

We have authorization setup to see each others accounts also.  I expect I could submit the wife's under my name also....it just both the wife and I have Tricare accounts so we submit claims under each name.  

Archived