Four killed, nine injured in seven-vehicle pile-up in Sa Kaeo

webfact

Four killed, nine injured in seven-vehicle pile-up in Sa Kaeo

By Thanapat Kijjakosol 
The Nation

159f40c64df5eeac722ff09c88c0f79c.jpeg

A trailer-truck carrying bags of salt crashed into six vehicles on a road in Sa Kaeo’s Ta Phraya district on Tuesday morning, killing four people – one of them a five-month-old baby – and injuring nine others, police said.

Police said the accident happened at around 9am on a hill section of Highway No 348 (Ta Phraya-Buri Ram) in the Chong Khao Tako area and caused severe traffic congestion, prompting officers to direct the traffic flow to Khao Chong Takiew instead.

5019ddf331f8d90e4dc70713b7320a41.jpeg

The trailer-truck, an 18-wheeler, had suffered a brake malfunction while heading down from the mountain and hit six vehicles that were travelling uphill. 

One of the hit cars was trapped beneath the truck and caught fire, while the accident caused salt bags to be strewn across the road.

Following the accident, police closed off a section of the road to put out the fire and carry out rescue operations. 

5019ddf331f8d90e4dc70713b7320a41.jpeg

Police have yet to identify the victims and the trailer-truck driver.

Highway 348 in Sa Kaeo is normally used as a bypass to avoid traffic congestion from the main northeastern road during long holidays. 

The highway is manned by the Burapha task force and is normally closed at night as it runs along the Cambodian border.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365244

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-06

The trailer-truck, an 18-wheeler, had suffered a brake malfunction while heading down from the mountain

Investigation over, cause identified in spite of this:-

Police have yet to identify the victims and the trailer-truck driver.

If I were to make an unqualified statement as to the cause it would be "the driver had a brain malfunction"

Sorry for the victims and their families.

In a country where both overloading and speeding are part of the normal behaviour of truck drivers its surprising we dont see this sort of thing more often. There are roads where this type of heavy loaded big vehicle should be banned but we all know monetary inducement will keep them open. I regularly ride the mountain roads in my district and seldom find any truck in low gear doing 30kph going downhill. Why would it change, no-one is patrolling the roads.

My condolences to the family of the victims. I always thought it was the truck driver's responsibility for the maintenance (reporting) of the truck but tit I suppose. Two Italians the other day, this report, the reports of the sugar cane trucks...agh!

4 hours ago, GreenerGrass said:

The entire road transport system needs serious attention! For the most part Inexperienced drivers with no formal training on air brake vehicles. I am a loss for words ???? 

I have to question your wording when you use the "term" system in your post.

This indicates some sort of well... "system" which Thailand seems to be totally lacking in, as far as driving instruction for obtaining a licence or ability thereafter to drive safely is concerned!

Also in the first photo it's noticeable that in the fire service's admirable haste to get to the accident to save lives they forgot to wear fire protective clothing ?

Archived