Love or no love - it's deportation for you Mr Van Der Linden

webfact

Love or no love - it's deportation for you Mr Van Der Linden

1pm.jpg

A man from the Netherlands who fell for a Thai woman staffer at his resort on Koh Samui wouldn't take no for an answer. 

Instead he started making trouble convinced his good looks would win the heart of the Thai woman he craved. 

Guests at the resort in Lamai got fed up with his antics and threatened to leave and go elsewhere. 

That was enough for immigration and the local cops and tourist police - they picked up Jeffrey van der Linden, 26, from Lamai beach and took him in. 

He was found to be on overstay - he had come on a tourist visa on January 31st and should have gone back to the Netherlands on March 1st. 

Now he is staring at different kind of bars - he is in the detention cells set to be deported. 

His case made Channel 7 national TV news with the female Thai presenters saying that Thai women were extra special - no meant no you silly boy, they whooped! 

He should have taken that for an answer and gone home and not overstayed his visa.

Now he will be heading back to Europe with the prospect of being blacklisted. 

He had been making trouble at a "Lamai hill villa", they said, with other guests threatening to leave if he didn't.

Source: CH7 NEWS

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-06

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Instead he started making trouble convinced his good looks would win the heart of the Thai woman he craved. 

A complete disaster waiting to happen.

Immigration has done him a favour !

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

He was found to be on overstay - he had come on a tourist visa on January 31st and should have gone back to the Netherlands on March 1st. 

Now he is staring at different kind of bars - he is in the detention cells set to be deported. 

A bit harsh, getting thrown in jail for a few days overstay.

4 minutes ago, Power of life yoga said:

Haha,  His first trip to Thailand I'm guessing,  we all remember our first night in Thailand ????

He lost his brain or to be more precise, got it sucked out. ????

For once I agree with immigration.

No excuses for the clog guy.

Many Europeans think Thailand is an open brothel where any female  or boy is for sale. Its not.

Most Thai  women with a good life & career aren't interested in farangs.

Dutchy should of stuck with the isaan bargirls.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Everyone knows the rules when travelling - get out before you're required to leave. He chose not to, and to top it off, he decided to be a royal pain in the ass at a resort he was staying at. Unsurprising he's found himself in jail. It's not like he self-reported to immigration either

4 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Everyone knows the rules when travelling - get out before you're required to leave. He chose not to, and to top it off, he decided to be a royal pain in the ass at a resort he was staying at. Unsurprising he's found himself in jail. It's not like he self-reported to immigration either

some of the people that post on TV seem to think that overstaying is a good old joke on the Thai process and people, a bit of a laugh, not really that serious.  Perhaps that's one of the reasons why immigration give the rest of us a hard time on occasions. A mandatory few days in jail if you don't have a really good reason for overstay (medical emergency, delayed and cancelled flight etc)  is better than a paltry fine. 

1 hour ago, Power of life yoga said:

Haha,  His first trip to Thailand I'm guessing,  we all remember our first night in Thailand ????

I remember the next morning and the hangover.

The previous night is still a blur after all these years.

So is last night , :shock1: but I'm sure my wife will let me know all about it soon enough.

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

some of the people that post on TV seem to think that overstaying is a good old joke on the Thai process and people, a bit of a laugh, not really that serious.  Perhaps that's one of the reasons why immigration give the rest of us a hard time on occasions. A mandatory few days in jail if you don't have a really good reason for overstay (medical emergency, delayed and cancelled flight etc)  is better than a paltry fine. 

Yup, most westerners would laugh in the face of a $40 fine for a few days overstay but change their tune pretty quickly when they end up in the IDC with the general population...

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

No, not at all... he is being detained while awaiting deportation... pretty standard procedure for someone who did not turn themselves in of their own accord.  It is widely publicized, and he broke the rules and then brought attention on him. 

It sounds as though he is a little off, a stalker of sorts... not someone to get involved with... It is good for all those involved that he be deported and blacklisted.

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

pretty standard procedure for someone who did not turn themselves in of their own accord

Are you telling me this is the normal procedure for tourists that missed their visa due date by a couple of days?

No, the normal would be to pay your overstay (500 baht/day) at the airport when you're leaving the country. Perhaps this was what he had in mind?

You do not turn yourself in for a couple of days overstay.

And just to clearify; I'm not defending the guy, just reacting to the jail time he got for a slight overstay.

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Are you telling me this is the normal procedure for tourists that missed their visa due date by a couple of days?

Yes.  He was picked up by police for reasons other than immigration... They did not go looking for him.  When they checked they found he was on overstay and thus now in the country illegally, and at that point for any non-corrupt police force the process would be to hand them over to immigration for deportation.   The fact that he made a nuisance of himself and brought attention to himself -- is rather stupid.   If it were a day (a calculation error - expecting day one to be the following day), and he had a booked ticket to leave the country...  then and only then would they have the discretion to let him leave on his own.

If you are in overstay by a day or two, and you go to immigration - it is very likely he would be allowed to extend it for 7 days (with a ticket).

8 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No, the normal would be to pay your overstay (500 baht/day) at the airport when you're leaving the country. Perhaps this was what he had in mind?

You do not turn yourself in for a couple of days overstay.

And just to clearify; I'm not defending the guy, just reacting to the jail time he got for a slight overstay.

We don't know enough about his individual circumstances to decide if it's harsh or not. It is quite possible that he arrived here without an onward airfare - many visa on arrival you don't ever have to show that proof, or perhaps he was intending on heading across a land border to leave so he didn't have an airfare out of Thailand. Hence, it is quite likely he is being detained while all that gets arranged? They can't exactly just deport him to Cambodia or Laos, and these arrangements don't generally get made in a huge hurry when things like embassies are involved. 

It would seem to me he didn't have anything in mind except for the poor object of his desires in Lamai? Either way, he played a stupid game with immigration and he won a stupid prize.  

5 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

For once I agree with immigration.

No excuses for the clog guy.

Many Europeans think Thailand is an open brothel where any female  or boy is for sale. Its not.

Most Thai  women with a good life & career aren't interested in farangs.

Dutchy should of stuck with the isaan bargirls.

I agree that the majority of people in Thailand are not employed in the "tourist trade"

But then again it depends what street you're walking down !!

there are streets & then there are streets if you get my meaning!

24 minutes ago, SammyT said:

We don't know enough about his individual circumstances to decide if it's harsh or not. It is quite possible that he arrived here without an onward airfare - many visa on arrival you don't ever have to show that proof, or perhaps he was intending on heading across a land border to leave so he didn't have an airfare out of Thailand. Hence, it is quite likely he is being detained while all that gets arranged? They can't exactly just deport him to Cambodia or Laos, and these arrangements don't generally get made in a huge hurry when things like embassies are involved. 

It would seem to me he didn't have anything in mind except for the poor object of his desires in Lamai? Either way, he played a stupid game with immigration and he won a stupid prize.  

Sammy, we actually have enough information.

He was originally being arrested for being a nuisance at the hotel.

If he had a valid visa that would have seen him moved to a different location and told to stay away.

Problem is that he was harassing a Thai as well as disrupting the hotel and inconveniencing the guests.  This in itself could warrant a night at the police staiion to calm him down and help him gain perspective.

He compounded that by being on overstay.  

So the police now have someone that it is a couple of days overstay but overstay is overstay and is seen as a threat or menace to a hotel, it's guests and staff.

Add everything up and it gets you a few nights in jail.

I actually wish that more countries did this to men that were stalking or harassing women.

10 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Sammy, we actually have enough information.

He was originally being arrested for being a nuisance at the hotel.

If he had a valid visa that would have seen him moved to a different location and told to stay away.

Problem is that he was harassing a Thai as well as disrupting the hotel and inconveniencing the guests.  This in itself could warrant a night at the police staiion to calm him down and help him gain perspective.

He compounded that by being on overstay.  

So the police now have someone that it is a couple of days overstay but overstay is overstay and is seen as a threat or menace to a hotel, it's guests and staff.

Add everything up and it gets you a few nights in jail.

I actually wish that more countries did this to men that were stalking or harassing women.

Agreed. Deserved everything he got. I reckon it must happen a lot over here. Guys who think they're god's gift to women because some bar girls pay them attention, so they start relentlessly hitting on hotel staff etc

Its people like this that give foreigner's a bad name, pestering a young lady at her work place to the point where its actually not only upsetting her but other guests of the resort!  There is nothing more annoying than people like this, good radiance and I hope he never comes back.  

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Why he has broken the law- sadly he probably was not a member of Thaivisa- then endless and endless threads would have advised him never to get arrested on overstay. 

Youth is vastly overrated.

Archived