BANGKOK
webfact

Love or no love - it's deportation for you Mr Van Der Linden

9 hours ago, Power of life yoga said:

Haha,  His first trip to Thailand I'm guessing,  we all remember our first night in Thailand 😁

I remember mine.  1970.  Just rode through Betong checkpoint on my motorcycle.  Ran out of gas at the top of the hill and coasted to the bottom where I went to sleep in a field hut.  Thailand was a different place then.:cheesy:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

A bit harsh, getting thrown in jail for a few days overstay.

Advice from a nail: If you don't stand out, you won't get hammered. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

No, not at all... he is being detained while awaiting deportation... pretty standard procedure for someone who did not turn themselves in of their own accord.  It is widely publicized, and he broke the rules and then brought attention on him. 

It sounds as though he is a little off, a stalker of sorts... not someone to get involved with... It is good for all those involved that he be deported and blacklisted.

It's not widely publicised for people outside Thailand. What are you thinking?

I think if it were my first trip to Thailand on a visa exempt entry, I would likely have no idea that I could be put in jail for a few days overstay.

Especially if I was told I would simply have to pay 500 baht per day for a few days overstay.

Problem here is that many old men forget how it was to be young.

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

Came here expecting comments insinuating that all Thai women would fall for any western man for the right amount of money. Like clockwork, they were there. 

Perhaps she just didn't like the arrogant <deleted> and no amount of money would convince her to give up her dignity, like most thai women I know?

Yes, yes. Should have gone for the durian girl and collected 10 million baht.

Removed a troll post.

Stupid man ..plenty of thai ladys in amsterdam 

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Should have offered cash!

(or gold, or a house, or a car)

Or tried for Durian girl. Just bad timing I suppose.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

It's not widely publicised for people outside Thailand. What are you thinking?

I think if it were my first trip to Thailand on a visa exempt entry, I would likely have no idea that I could be put in jail for a few days overstay.

Especially if I was told I would simply have to pay 500 baht per day for a few days overstay.

Problem here is that many old men forget how it was to be young.

Wrong way around son. Many old men remember what it was like to be young but now have the experience and knowledge to understand that things change and brash self confidence usually gets you into deep doodoo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Wrong way around son. Many old men remember what it was like to be young but now have the experience and knowledge to understand that things change and brash self confidence usually gets you into deep doodoo.

Then that isn't the wrong way around. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it isn't the reality. 

Easy to sit in your ivoty tower, but when you were young you were doing the same and certainly wouldn't want or expect to be put in a Thai prison for some high jinks. 

There are some people in the world who just shouldn’t travel abroad and just stay home.  

9 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Then that isn't the wrong way around. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it isn't the reality. 

Easy to sit in your ivoty tower, but when you were young you were doing the same and certainly wouldn't want or expect to be put in a Thai prison for some high jinks. 

How about I didn't disregard the advice from the older guys who knew what they were talking about.

I grew up when the local cop could find you involved in what you call 'high jinks' and would drag you to your front door and you got a slap on the ear from your dad for getting involved in 'high jinks'

It means you grow up without the belief in self entitlement because you never learned respect for others or their counties rules. eg what's the big problem with overstaying your visa when you're on holiday? Easy answer, it's against the law in the country you're in.

Are you above that because you're young or you think it shouldn't apply to you because it's just 'high jinks'

I can't remember whose quote it was, but, it was on the lines of  when I was 18 I couldn't believe how stupid my father was, a few years later I couldn't believe how sensible he had become. 

Might have been Oscar Wilde, not sure.

Think about it.

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

How about I didn't disregard the advice from the older guys who knew what they were talking about.

I grew up when the local cop could find you involved in what you call 'high jinks' and would drag you to your front door and you got a slap on the ear from your dad for getting involved in 'high jinks'

It means you grow up without the belief in self entitlement because you never learned respect for others or their counties rules. eg what's the big problem with overstaying your visa when you're on holiday? Easy answer, it's against the law in the country you're in.

Are you above that because you're young or you think it shouldn't apply to you because it's just 'high jinks'

I can't remember whose quote it was, but, it was on the lines of  when I was 18 I couldn't believe how stupid my father was, a few years later I couldn't believe how sensible he had become. 

Might have been Oscar Wilde, not sure.

Think about it.

To be fair, I've never behaved badly abroad.

We don't know how he was advised about the overstay. The rest just sounds like high jinks. Being persistent with a girl is not a crime.