Love or no love - it's deportation for you Mr Van Der Linden

webfact

8 hours ago, apetryxx said:

Hey Lucias, many Thai women with “good lives and careers” are interested in nice farangs, my wife of many years is one of them. You make the mistake of lumping everyone in the same basket as this nut job. Grow up.

I understand what you are saying, but then what you said had basically the same conclusion - just generalized to say "are not interested in farangs".   The summary of the two comments is treat Thai women with respect.  They may be interested in a farang (generally speaking), they may not, they might just be interested in one farang, they may not.   With the volume of farangs coming to Thailand with the mind of Thailand being one big brothel for their fun, and all women would love them just because they are a farang... in many circles we won't have the best reputation.   Many probably would not necessarily chose to be the girlfriend of a farang (even an ok one) just because they know there is the stigma of being a bar girl if they are associated with a farang.  There are many a farang that ended up in hospital because they did not show the respect due -- some did not even make it to the hospital.  He is just lucky that she did not have a boyfriend who took things into his own hands.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

To be fair, I've never behaved badly abroad.

We don't know how he was advised about the overstay. The rest just sounds like high jinks. Being persistent with a girl is not a crime.

There can be a fine line between being persistent and harassment... this sounds like it was clearly the later.  You (generally) don't have the right to harass someone.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Vacuum said:

A bit harsh, getting thrown in jail for a few days overstay.

Harsh perhaps, but the Thais have been openly advertising the rules an penalties for overstays for some time now.  Turn oneself in, little problem.  Let the Thais catch you, potentially bigger problems

19 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

It's not widely publicised for people outside Thailand. What are you thinking?

I think if it were my first trip to Thailand on a visa exempt entry, I would likely have no idea that I could be put in jail for a few days overstay.

Especially if I was told I would simply have to pay 500 baht per day for a few days overstay.

Problem here is that many old men forget how it was to be young.

My first trip to Thailand as a newbie -- I would have been in a complete panic if I throught I overstayed my visa, I would be sure I would get into trouble.  Only later when reading about how they were lax about it did I realize that at the time Thai Immigration did not take it very seriously... you could hop out and hop back in.  Then they did a big advertising campaign and a period for you to become legal.

When I went to a Thai Embassy to get a visa after that they had big posters with the penalties and they handed me a piece of paper and had me read it.  Then when you come in through immigration at the airport, there are more posters outlining penalties.  You have to be looking at your shoelaces not to notice ????

Probably not a visa but just the 30 days stamp you get at the airport. 26 is a bit young to hang out at Lamai. Chaweng is more fun for the youngsters. I wonder which airliner he took because KLM and EVA Air request to have a return ticket within 30 days if you can not show a visa. Maybe Aeroflot ????

• 2 weeks later...

Archived