Termites. Locating them. Eradicating them. Protecting from them.

JeffersLos

A house we were in recently had big swarms of flying gnats with big long wings come out of nowhere and go straight for 2 lights. Probably a few hundred of them. It was a mystery as all doors and windows were shut for the day.

Then we looked under the stars. Big termite nests on the wood and on boxes etc. Which clicked what they were.

I'm now in a property that I own, and saw half a dozen of them go for a light a few evenings ago. I wouldn't care too much about them in the furniture that can be replaced, but would care about them getting into the stairs. Into the floor boards upstairs, or into the wooden beams in the walls or second story flooring. I don't really want to have to pull down the second story and rebuild it in a few years time. ????

So, how to go about locating them?

How to go about eradicating them?

And how to protect against them? Is there a spray you can buy like that Mozzy or Cockroach spray? Do you need to get in a professional team to spray once a year or whatever?

TIA.

5 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. 

It's a condo, on the 7th floor.

If you ask Thai people they tell you where to buy a good spray insecticide that mixes with water I find them effective even though wood parts of dwelling construction, wood furniture should of had an initial preferential treatment.

If you have infestation problem it is much stronger than household can sprays and you will have wear a mask and overalls and I recommend you vacant for a day and night also ventilate the condo well when returning. 

We had them in our house in Pattaya. They didn't touch the teak furniture, only the softwood.
We got a pest guy in. He said don't kill them and then put a box of some powder (can't remember what, maybe baking soda?) where they were in the wood. He said the termites would take the food from the box back to the Queen, the Queen would die and then the workers die. That's exactly what happened. No more termites.

Seeing you are on the 7th floor, once you get rid of them, maybe they won't come back.

A few years ago there was a similar thread from someone in a high rise.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If you have infestation problem it is much stronger than household can sprays and you will have wear a mask and overalls and I recommend you vacant for a day and night also ventilate the condo well when returning. 

Would something like this also go through the drywall and ceiling board, to kill them if they are in the wooden wall and ceiling beams?

If so, would it continue out the other side of the drywall and kill the neighbour?

15 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Would something like this also go through the drywall and ceiling board, to kill them if they are in the wooden wall and ceiling beams?

As @carlyai says above. You need someone who knows what they are doing and will make sure the poison is taken back to the queen to kill off the nest.

And I would strongly suggest don't waste time in getting it done.

Try and read some of my other posts about termites.

I try to control termites and i can now set off a swarm by switching the hosepipe on and telling them its about to rain.

I exposed about 6places hidden in previously well treated timber posts.

Keep the lights off in your house and let them visit the neighbours.

I followed up with a chaindrite 40 self mixed solution and dispensed it from my sprayer.

You have to follow up regularly as the eggs laid by the swarmers are resistant to all chemicals.

Take it seriously, I sprnt a boatload of cash renovating just 3yrs of termite damage.

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

If so, would it continue out the other side of the drywall and kill the neighbour?

Probably depends whether like your neighbours or the termites. ????

Had another one.

Is this a flying termite?

sBh9YTJ.jpgg1J1HMJ.jpg

Do all termites fly?

The last time there were around 6 of them.

This time only 1.

I'm in a condo 7 stories high.

I have bamboo rattan furniture. I presume that there is wooden beams behind the plaster board walls, and also upstairs, which may be almost complete held up by wooden beams going across. Not too sure.

How to locate where they're coming from?

Thanks. 

39 minutes ago, madmen said:

from home pro but most mom n pop hardware stores have it and in a smaller size. (500 baht) for half litre but at 60:1 mix ratio it will last a long time

https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/th/Home-Improvement-Paint-Chemical-Solutions-Termite-Removal-%26-Prevention/STEDFAST-5L-30SC-TERMITE-REM-%26-PREV-/p/15441

There are even smaller sizes available. However you should leave the area for at least a couple of days.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, madmen said:

from home pro but most mom n pop hardware stores have it and in a smaller size. (500 baht) for half litre but at 60:1 mix ratio it will last a long time

https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/th/Home-Improvement-Paint-Chemical-Solutions-Termite-Removal-%26-Prevention/STEDFAST-5L-30SC-TERMITE-REM-%26-PREV-/p/15441

Thanks.

And what do I do with it?

Mix it up in a spray gun, cover all the TV's etc and spray it into the air all over the condo, like a mosquito sprayer?

Or spray it on everything wooden that I see?

TIA

5 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks.

Mix it up in a spray gun, cover all the TV's etc and spray it into the air all over the condo, like a mosquito sprayer?

TIA

I only used it for cockroaches with a water mix of 30:1 in a simple plastic spray bottle and protective gear but termite treatment will be different.

Do what I did and google you tube for "how to spray for termites like a pro" etc

Home pro stocks all the gear like in the pic. Not expensive so do a search home pro on line

termite_zpsf5hidl1t.jpg

7 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks.

TIA

What ever you do, do not breath it. Get a mask with organic vapour filters (they are easily available here) and good eye protection that actually seals against your skin.

it is a serious neurotoxin that is absorbed by skin contact and through the mucus membranes. After spraying leave the area for at least 72 hours.

spray down and wet all wood and painted wood surfaces.

Archived