How reliable is Tmobile (US) Roaming in Thailand?

jyaku

Hi there,

I've been to Thailand many times and used AIS12call and TrueMove before and they worked just fine.

I'll be going on vacation in Thailand in 2 weeks but I want to bring my Tmobile Phone and have it on roaming so I can receive calls dialed to my USA number.

Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? How reliable was the Tmobile roaming? Were your phone calls clear? And did it cost a fortune?

It might be OK for voice calls but read the fine print on T-Mobile's international data roaming.  I think that the international data roaming that is included for "free" in their subscription packages only operates at GPRS speeds.

I have Tmobile unlimited voice\data with international plan.  Travel 3-4 times per year to BKK, Pattaya, Malaysia.

The voice roaming is pretty solid, and I am rarely out of touch with others.

Regarding Data, I have had mixed experiences.  Data was OK but spotty on my older model Samsung phones.  However, once i upgraded to Samsung 7 or above, the Data roaming often did NOT work, or was just sloooow.  I have heard that the newer phones aren't always compatible, but have not direct evidence of this.  Give it a try, you may be compatible.

Regarding costs for roaming, it is really not expensive.  I noticed an extra few dollars per week on my bill, but cheaper than other alternatives.  Noting that we used Wifi calling as much as possible as well.

Give it a try and see if yours works.  If not, do what I am going to do next month, which is to buy a cheap samsumg phone with hot-spot and just use local SIM cards.  Enjoy.

WiFi calling to USA is free just turn off your data or sometimes t mobile will bill you 20 cents a minute for phone calls. Data roaming is free and usable but slow and generally will not download videos. Can use WiFi for video downloading. I have used it in Bangkok and all over Thailand for years. Some small towns data does not work but all major cities it does work. 

I have T-Mobile. I live in Hua Hin and only use it there at my house for SMS messages from the bank. My phone roams on the AIS network. No experience with voice network as I have not made conventional voice phone call in years. Skype and LINE app only for voice.

I was in just in Thailand for seven weeks and used my T-Mobile service with International roaming on my old iphone 6.  It worked fine and the calls were clear.  I think I might have had one call that got disconnected but that was it.  As for the cost, it wasn't much more and I hardly noticed the difference on my bill.  However, I made a lot more calls using FB Facetime, FB messenger, and LINE.  

I have T Mobile and it works just fine here in Thailand.  Phone calls to and from the USA.  I would suggest you download Viber to make calls back to the USA.  Only $1.99 for a month of unlimited calls back to the USA.  That is not true if you use T Mobile and use your cell phone. 

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

I have T Mobile and it works just fine here in Thailand.  Phone calls to and from the USA.  I would suggest you download Viber to make calls back to the USA.  Only $1.99 for a month of unlimited calls back to the USA.  That is not true if you use T Mobile and use your cell phone. 

Or get a Google Voice number, install Hangouts on your smartphone, and calls to/from phones in the US are free.

Very reliable. I've had T-Mobile USA as my provider for 15 years, which I use all around the world. It's the only non-Thai provider I've ever had. SMS (text) messages are free to receive and send, around the globe. Calls are clear and fairly priced, tho not as cheap as AIS, et al. It's 25¢/min for all calls, regardless of where you're calling. Also charges you to receive calls. They include free unlimited data in many countries (Thailand included), but at the snail pace of 2G speed. Still, you can stay connected for free...but patience is necessary with 2G. 

Call T-Mobile support (free) with any questions, but I use the free SMS feature regularly and have made a few calls and quality was excellent. :thumbsup:

Archived