THAI: Economy class passengers can only load 20 kg bag from April 1st

webfact

THAI: Economy class passengers can only load 20 kg bag from April 1st

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai Airways have announced that from April 1st their economy class passengers will no longer be able to load bags weighing 30 kilos in the hold for free. 

New rules said that for four categories of economy class (including L,W and V designations) passengers will now only be able to take 20 kilos free of charge. 

Group tour customers will also face the same restrictions though that change in the rules will come later starting July 1st 2019. 

Daily News said the airline were trying to cut fuel costs. 

THAI have reportedly been losing billions of baht in recent years. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-06

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That should help - people to choose another airline ????

Should help with cutting fuel costs as they will have less passengers on-board ????

Airlines that allow 30kg and are not a government cartel will be happy with this latest idiocy! ????

What calibre of idiot would go out of their way to make a policy that right off the bat makes their company's product both inferior and less competitive than the competition.... 

smh ????

Another big loss at Thai in 2018 (US$365 million) but no evidence that they are going to stumble upon the principal cause: that they are inevitably the most expensive option on any route out of Thailand.  Even their "promotional" fares are often more than what their competitors charge.  They might be able to pull it off if they had a superior product but this announcement would appear to indicate they are going to stick to the same cost-cutting strategy.

9 minutes ago, KamnanT said:

Another big loss at Thai in 2018 (US$365 million) but no evidence that they are going to stumble upon the principal cause: that they are inevitably the most expensive option on any route out of Thailand.  Even their "promotional" fares are often more than what their competitors charge.  They might be able to pull it off if they had a superior product but this announcement would appear to indicate they are going to stick to the same cost-cutting strategy.

sadly this is true, bouncing between phils and bkk,  using philipine airlines as the median, air asia is 50 percent of that, and thai is nearly 100 percent more expensive.

the experience on thai is far more enjoyable, however on those rare occasions they have a competitive fare.

45 minutes ago, SammyT said:

looks like I'll be flying Emirates

The rules to/from USA (where TG does not fly) might differ, but the "all classes 30 kg" at Emirates to/from Europe are over.

15 kg for the "Special" (cheapest) class.

Last year it was already down to 20 kg.

It's all about looking best in the search engines.

You are still free to pay a much higher price and have more allowance.

More airlines will follow (Lufthansa is considering e.g.).

emirates.jpg

And from Bangkok to Europe return, Emirates shows silly prices.

Not in the competition.

23 minutes ago, KamnanT said:

There aren't many options on some routes if you want to fly direct. For BKK-ARN (Stockholm) there's just the option of Norwegian and they're often as expensive as Thai Airways and they're slower. I am quite happy with the service and cost of Thai Airways on that route, most of the time. There are really cheap options, like flying Air India (2 stops and 30+ hours) or Air China (2 stops and 35+ hours). Weighing the price difference and the time difference into my decision usually means that Thai Airways wins.

3 minutes ago, androokery said:

there's just the option of Norwegian

And they have the typical LCC attitude:

starting price (shown on search) is without baggage, drinks, meals and seat reservation. Same for German "Eurowings".

It has become more and more complicated to compare prices.

I recommend going back to basics..and hiring a fleet of Curtiss Jenny's...

Of course that might mean sacking the numerous..

Generals

Colonels

Majors

Captains

Fathers-in -Law

Brothers-in law..

Nephews-in-law..

Politicians-in-law

Various Neanderthals-in-law..

You may add a few more to the list..

Never saw a country that was so determined to go out posterior backwards-unless you include Myanmar (Burma) which has consistently failed at everything since 1948.

Surely it should be for those who book after April 1st, as those who have already booked in good faith for travel after that date will have been expecting 30kg. That’s grossly unfair (not that THAI would give a s***). 

2 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Possibly the reporting isn’t clear and it’s two free bags each less than 20kg (Emirates is 2 at 23kg each) which wouldn’t be so out of line.

I think you are confused.

It's sad to see when someone thinks their single country represents the whole world.

Anyway;

Thai Airways;

1) RBD L/ V/ W: 20 kg ( 44 pounds) for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on/ after 01 APR 19
2) RBD G: 20 kg (44 pounds) for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on/ after 01 JUL 19

Emirates:

The new allowances cover all routes except those to and from the Americas, and those originating from Africa.

These routes use the piece concept – changes here will see the allowance for economy Special and Saver customer reduced from two pieces each weighing up to 23kg, to just one piece.

38 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Surely it should be for those who book after April 1st, as those who have already booked in good faith for travel after that date will have been expecting 30kg. That’s grossly unfair (not that THAI would give a s***). 

I'm sure it will be. Gulf Air reduced to 23kg. But the flight that I booked before the cut-off date still allowed 30kg even after the date. I got a small shock on a flight that I purchased after the date, as I had no idea.

Nowhere on the ticket nor itinerary had the modified weight allowance.

But after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, they let it slide and told me to be careful with the weight on the next flight.

Luckily I'll have moved to Silver status, so not an issue.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The rules to/from USA (where TG does not fly) might differ, but the "all classes 30 kg" at Emirates to/from Europe are over.

15 kg for the "Special" (cheapest) class.

Last year it was already down to 20 kg.

It's all about looking best in the search engines.

You are still free to pay a much higher price and have more allowance.

More airlines will follow (Lufthansa is considering e.g.).

emirates.jpg

And from Bangkok to Europe return, Emirates shows silly prices.

Not in the competition.

I fly to New Zealand, where Emirates prices are more or less comparable to Thai so definitely in the competition for me

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News said the airline were trying to cut fuel costs. 

To be fair, 30kg for Eco was very generous.  Had they reduced to the apparent industry standard of 23kg, their existing customer base would probably moan a bit, then shrug it off as inevitable.

I'm sure retired Air Marshall Pingpong knows what he's doing.  ????

Just arrived on TG911 from London today. Thai had downsized from the a380 to b777. I thought the plane would be packed but is was only half full! I and many others in economy had 3 seats each. Pure bliss. 

It's a shame Thai Airways are so poorly managed, too many types of aircraft and inefficient policies. I'm happy to pay Thai Airways prices if it means getting 3 seats for the price of one seat! (this happens often as I do BKK/LHR at least 4 times yearly).

8 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I have flights booked for Mid April, ticket stateds 30kgs.

15 hours ago, SammyT said:

Anyone know if this is both domestic and international? Seems real short sighted. If it's international, looks like I'll be flying Emirates/Qantas home then...

Thai air have always been expensive, QANGO's never work. There are much better options.

Been flying Thai quite often again in the last year as their direct flights out of Bangkok were a good option for me, but it has to be said; their lounge serves 7-11 selection of food, their food on board is only second to shit. Most of their planes are old and their staff arrogant and lazy. With Emirates for example you get the best service, food and planes for less money. Thai needs to get some professionals on their board, not some politician or general thatbis appointed because he scored some brownie points! 

11 hours ago, 55Jay said:

To be fair, 30kg for Eco was very generous.  Had they reduced to the apparent industry standard of 23kg, their existing customer base would probably moan a bit, then shrug it off as inevitable.

I'm sure retired Air Marshall Pingpong knows what he's doing.  ????

Don't think 23kg is standard, only ever get 30kg on international flights

Archived