THAI: Economy class passengers can only load 20 kg bag from April 1st

webfact

On 3/7/2019 at 1:48 PM, Darkside Gray said:

They should be stopping the people with the 20 kg of cabin baggage and the kitchen sinks they bring onboard that would reduce the weight.

Yes, their first place to look should be at carry on baggage. There used to be measuring devices  whereby if your bag was too big to pass through, you could not carry it on.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/7/2019 at 3:10 PM, Bastos60 said:

It is just the one thing airlines aren't allowed to do, make passengers pay according to weight.  Because that is basically what you are saying. Because you weight less you can 
bring more luggage on board.

How offended would you be if your weight gets checked in front of 100's of people and you are far more heavier then your own estimate.

" if your weight gets checked in front of 100's of people and you are far heavier than your own estimate"

I would immediately buy a new scale and throw the old one in the bin :smile:

The extra price Thai charged was offset by the 30kg allowance.

Plus 7kg carry on.

Plus direct flights to Australia.

Plus my status addition of 10kg.

Service has diminished considerably over the years.

Looks like the cheaper carriers are going to be busier.

19 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Surely if Thai Air sold the ticket with 30 kg baggage before Apr 1st they have to honour that contract. 

Maybe, but not necessarily. Always read the small print. 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:26 AM, yogi100 said:

I did not book a flight.

I just looked at the price and baggage allowance which was definitely 30 KGs.

Re-read the statement; 

All flights booked before the 1st of April retain the original allowance, even if the flight is after the 1st of April.

Just want to know why is it so expensive to fly from bkk to lhr ?

I payed £615 semi flex lhr to udonthani on thai airways website  could of got it cheaper with saver for £560. But Due to work commitments I choose to go flex. But for sure, thai airways are definitely not as good as they use to be.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, SammyT said:

Anyone know if this is both domestic and international? Seems real short sighted. If it's international, looks like I'll be flying Emirates/Qantas home then...

Sounds like you're planning to fly to Sydney. If so, I've got some bad news regarding Emirates. They will suspend their Bangkok-Sydney service in a couple of months from now, leaving you only with Qantas or THAI. The latter has already reduced the number of flights on the BKK-SYD sector down to 7 weekly flights, from 11 last year.

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Called Thai and here's the thing:

If you have an unused ticket (none of the legs have yet been used - for example you booked ticket last year but you fly one way in April and back in May - then the new rules would likely apply - 20 kg for economy class tickets)

However if you bought a ticket and used one leg of the journey already before this announcement, then the original baggage allowance applies - for example if you bought ticket in January and flew in February but are going back in May, then you'll have same 30 kg allowance on return flight.

Hope that makes it clearer. If any is looking for specific allowance on their flight that they already booked - please call up TG call center and ask. They can check if you give them the booking reference.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.

Your baggage allowance is as per contract. So if your contract/ticket states 30 kgs, then 30 kgs is what you get, regardless of when you fly and the booking class of your ticket.

....which of course is borne out by attempting a dummy booking now, for both outbound and inbound dates entirely past the 1st of April.

So less misinformation is best. KneeDeep is entirely correct.

Book your ticket before the 1st of April in order to retain the superior allowance, regardless of your date of travel. Even if you fly next year, your allowance will remain at 30 kgs or whatever is mandated currently for your jurisdiction..

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

Try suing them.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/plan/travel_information/baggage.page?

Checked Baggage Policy by Weight Concept applicable to International Sectors within TC3 (Asia, Australia, New Zealand) , between TC2 (Europe, Africa, Middle East) and TC3 (Asia, Australia, New Zealand)

Categories Maximum Combined Weight of All Pieces
Royal First Class 50 kg (110 pounds)
Royal Silk Class 40 kg (88 pounds)
Premium Economy Class 40 kg (88 pounds)
Economy Class 30 kg (66 pounds)
* Except
RBD L/ V/ W: 20 kg ( 44 pounds) for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on/ after 01 APR 19
Infant not occupying a seat 10 kg (22 pounds)
ROP & Star Alliance Gold Members Extra 20 kg (44 pounds)
Royal Orchid Platinum Member (Flight operated by TG) Extra 30 kg (66 pounds)
ROP Silver Member(Flight operated by TG) Extra 10 kg (22 pounds) 

Try to not be thick. Create a dummy booking for dates in May or further in advance and see what you are shown.

Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean that you should mislead others.

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I asked this exact question to TG reservation center - and the answer was regardless of what the ticket says, what matters is what the system says during the check-in. And for any tickets that aren't partially used before April 1, there would be a 20 kg allowance "as posted on baggage policy on thaiairways.com website" which I've posted link above. So it's perfectly fine that you convince yourself it will be 30 kg allowance and think that contract is worth anything. But I would ask you to provide a written confirmation from Thai Airways that they would accept 30 kg baggage for free after April 1 for bookings made before April 1 to support "KneeDeep is entirely correct" statement.

No need for you to take my word for it if you prefer to argue until you are blue in the face.

I have no doubt that I am right and no doubt that ground staff will concur if you can show 30kg marked on your ticket/itinerary.

But anyway they will see 30 kgs on their system too. It's to do with the ticketing date.

If you think I am wrong, wait until the 2nd of April and then attempt exactly the same dummy bookings I have created earlier and you will see different allowances.

...and yes, if they did not honour the allowance that you contracted with them, you could sue them for breach of contract and you would win.

But there will be no need as they will honour all bookings with 30kgs made before the 1st of April. Just keep a copy of your itinerary showing the 30 kg allowance if concerned.

This despite the stupid reservations staff who don't even understand their company policy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 5:39 PM, Wiggy said:

Surely it should be for those who book after April 1st, as those who have already booked in good faith for travel after that date will have been expecting 30kg. That’s grossly unfair (not that THAI would give a s***). 

Ts&Cs apply!

On 3/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, Wiggy said:

Surely it should be for those who book after April 1st, as those who have already booked in good faith for travel after that date will have been expecting 30kg. That’s grossly unfair (not that THAI would give a s***). 

The way that you have written it is confusing, but I've already covered this. If you booked and paid before the 1st of April for flights before and after the 1st of April, you will still get 30 kgs both ways.

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 7:41 PM, KMartinHandyman said:

Possibly the reporting isn’t clear and it’s two free bags each less than 20kg (Emirates is 2 at 23kg each) which wouldn’t be so out of line.

Wrong. 

Certain classes are 30kg max.

Spread over 2x cases.

Economy budget classes are 20kg maximum. 

Award levels get extra. 

I just flew Melbourne to Bangkok and the ticket said 30kg.

It was actually 20kg in the system. 

The 30kg included 10kg of silver status.

I would normally have 40kg plus carry on. 7kg.

But it depends on the ticket class.

Fortunately I didn't have to pay. 

I was hit 7kg out of Bangkok. 

At $us45 for each kilogram. 

They are making the money here, for certain...

On 3/7/2019 at 11:49 AM, tingtongtourist said:

and this is how it should be all along IMO

why should i get a charge $160 for bag 4kg over limit when a fat bastard will sit next to me who weigh more than me and my bag??

then all the fat spills out over the armrest, and both on either side must sit squashed and restricted for a xx hour flight.

No NO NOO these fat bastards should be measured accross the abdomen and made to pay for a 1st class upgrade if they cant fit in a nornal seat.

they eat and spend 4x as much on food as any normal person does, so sure they can buy 2 seats

or to first class and pig into all the free food and drink they want

Agree totally. 

Some American airlines charge double seat fees. 

Then again,  when you see the size of the airline inflight attendants...

Yo Mamma.

Not exactly Asian style. 

• 3 weeks later...

1. (maybe) im flying from bali to germany with thai airways and i only have transit in bangkok (3 hours).

i still don't understand how much can i bring - 20 or 30kg?

according to the rule aboce i have no idea which ticket code will i have if i by this ticket to know how much kg is allowed. it's not shown anywhere. or i missunderstood the rule and it's 20kg for economy class (no mather which ticket type) and that's it.

Other international journeys (no restrictions on the number of pieces or size, but items must not exceed the maximum weight allowances below)

• Royal First class: 50 kg (10 lbs)
  • Royal Silk class: 40 kg (88 lbs)
  • Premium Economy class: 40 kg (88 lbs)
  • Economy class: 30kg (66 lbs)*
  • Infant not occupying a seat: 10kg (22 lbs)

*Except ticket code RBD L/V/W: 20 kg (44 lbs)

2. do i need transit visa if im not gonna leave the airport in my 3 hours of layover?

^

It depends on your booking class within economy.  Thai have several groups within Economy Class. Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K, S and G which get 30kg.  V, W and L get 20kg (there might be more in the first group).  If it's important you need to find out before you book.

Visa requirements depend on what passport you hold.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

^

It depends on your booking class within economy.  Thai have several groups within Economy Class. Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K, S and G which get 30kg.  V, W and L get 20kg (there might be more in the first group).  If it's important you need to find out before you book.

Visa requirements depend on what passport you hold.

That is the problem - i tried to find out which booking class it is but nowhere is written. I tried to contact them on several numbers (no success) and even wrote them an e-mail but nobody is answering. I'll keep on trying..

Thanks anyway :).

Below where journey is from and to there are several details including:

Class:
Seat: 
Baggage: 
Booking status: OK
NVA:
Fare basis:

These are easy to find.

Assuming you are doing a return journey Class on this may be different to the outward journey.

You can also go to Manage my Booking and check Class and print your ticket.

Or..........you can cal TG 24x7 in Bangkok.

6 hours ago, mary1712 said:

thanks a lot everybody! ????

i still haven't bought a ticket cos i will not buy it if it's 20kg and only info is "baggage included" but it's not written how much.

It's likely to be 30 kgs, since the other classes are more likely to be sold from Europe. Hence why the flights from Bali tend to be more expensive than a flight from Europe.

What have you been quoted?

It is possible to buy a ticket from Denpasar with allowance of 20 kg, single or return, depending upon date and how far in advance ticket is purchased. However, it may be cheaper to buy a ticket with an allowance of 30 kg, rather than paying for excess baggage. I think the originator of the question has enough information to buy a ticket without any further questions.

Archived