THAI: Economy class passengers can only load 20 kg bag from April 1st

webfact

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Surely it should be for those who book after April 1st, as those who have already booked in good faith for travel after that date will have been expecting 30kg. That’s grossly unfair (not that THAI would give a s***). 

It is. My ticket clearly states 30 Kg.  Travel agent confirmed it is for tickets after April 1. April Fools Day !  Very apropiate.

"New rules said that for four categories of economy class (including L,W and V designations) passengers will now only be able to take 20 kilos free of charge."

That's pretty normal and it means the more expensive economy class (Y etc) will still be able to load 30kg.  Don't see what the fuss is all about.  Consistent with what airlines around the world are doing.  Try loading 30kg on any of the big US airlines!!  You'll be paying excess.

This is a savvy business move that should have been thought of long ago.

16 hours ago, z42 said:

What calibre of idiot would go out of their way to make a policy that right off the bat makes their company's product both inferior and less competitive than the competition.... 

smh ????

Because if they can last a few moths with that policy, other airlines will join them.

This decision made by those who CAUSED TG to make huge losses, well, this Will not reduce your losses.

MAS offers 30kg and can easily go up to 38 kg.

MAS ticket prices &fares ex Thailand are much cheaper than TG.

The airline needs a realistic rationalisation program that will reduce the workforce 

Change top and senior management 

Remove all Directors and appoint new ones.

Reduce fares on long haul flights.

Improve services on the ground and in the air.

The problem is a matter of Management  really.

Get rid of all subsidiaries such as catering and other airlines ie Nok.

17 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

It is. My ticket clearly states 30 Kg.  Travel agent confirmed it is for tickets after April 1. April Fools Day !  Very apropiate.

Always inadvisable to implement customer-unfriendly changes on April Fool's day. Bound to backfire. 

16 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Won’t be long and you will be paying per kg in body weight.

looks like us fat bastards better start that vegan diet.????

and this is how it should be all along IMO

why should i get a charge $160 for bag 4kg over limit when a fat bastard will sit next to me who weigh more than me and my bag??

then all the fat spills out over the armrest, and both on either side must sit squashed and restricted for a xx hour flight.

No NO NOO these fat bastards should be measured accross the abdomen and made to pay for a 1st class upgrade if they cant fit in a nornal seat.

they eat and spend 4x as much on food as any normal person does, so sure they can buy 2 seats

or to first class and pig into all the free food and drink they want

Thai used to be a great airline, but standards have been steadily worsening over the last decade because management does not understand the realities of the modern-day commercial aviation market. A lack of external appointments at both management and board level have left the business ignorant of how successful carriers operate. Their fleet is one of the oldest in the region - inefficient in terms of fuel use and requiring high levels of maintenance. They also run too many types of planes, complicating maintenence and flight crew requirements and requiring excessive inventory of spare parts. The last time I travelled on Thai was short distance (Vietnam to BKK). They used an old Boeing 777-200 or -300 with upholstery in tatters, screens impossible to view and a tray table that kept falling down during the flight. They served seafood & spaghetti in a cardboard box with an expiry date the year after the manufacturing date (I really cannot imagine the chemicals required to make seafood and pasta last that long in a box!). On a one-hour flight, no-one really expects food - better a cookie if anything than chemical-laced rubbish. To say staff were inattentive was an understatement. When my flight took off, the passenger two seats from me had his seatbelt off and seat-back reclined and had never been asked to adjust either. I laughed when the captain asked cabin crew to be seated - they'd been seated for about 10 minutes before that! After those last two return flights, I vowed never to fly Thai again. Lowering baggage limits is an absurd decision when there are other carriers travellers can use. My next flight between the cities was booked yesterday - on Vietnam Airlines with a 30kg luggage limit (I don't actually need) in a near-new Airbus A321 and professional, young cabin crew. And it was at least $50 a round trip cheaper than Thai - and about the same as a budget carrier. 

Thai food.jpg

45 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

"New rules said that for four categories of economy class (including L,W and V designations) passengers will now only be able to take 20 kilos free of charge."

That's pretty normal and it means the more expensive economy class (Y etc) will still be able to load 30kg.  Don't see what the fuss is all about.  Consistent with what airlines around the world are doing.  Try loading 30kg on any of the big US airlines!!  You'll be paying excess.

This is a savvy business move that should have been thought of long ago.

You're right, and many airlines now have staggered baggage allowances according to the ticket class bought. I've just booked a cheap return flight to the UK with Emirates and it's 20kg. For another 5,000 baht I could have upgraded to the next level which would give 25kg (and more air-miles and free seat selection) and full flex economy gives 30kg. But I don't need it.

This is actually an understandable business model and it appears that Thai are just falling in line.

Misleading reporting by Thaivisa.

16 hours ago, KamnanT said:

Another big loss at Thai in 2018 (US$365 million) but no evidence that they are going to stumble upon the principal cause: that they are inevitably the most expensive option on any route out of Thailand.  Even their "promotional" fares are often more than what their competitors charge.  They might be able to pull it off if they had a superior product but this announcement would appear to indicate they are going to stick to the same cost-cutting strategy.

right.  no one forces anyone to fly thai, but people choose to. i have only ever been on one thai aircraft as part of a flight share with the airline i originally booked. it was short haul but the seats did not recline and bizarrely an announcement was made requesting passengers not to lie on the floor...?! i never have and never will choose thai. up to everyone.

Very unwise move, unless they don't care about losing customers.

Thai make a loss because of the large number of non-paying passengers they carry.  This should stop!

Thai Smile have a 20 kg hold limit, and have never weighed hand luggage so far, as long as it is within the visible allowable dimensions!

This decision clearly demonstrating, as if further proof was needed, that TG's management in place is...well...not using it's brain as it is expected to. You do not attract more passengers when you downgrade the quality of the service they are expecting. And luggage allowance is part of the service...

14 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Surely it should be for those who book after April 1st, as those who have already booked in good faith for travel after that date will have been expecting 30kg. That’s grossly unfair (not that THAI would give a s***). 

if your ticket was issued before the change, it would show 30kg.

14 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

if your ticket was issued before the change, it would show 30kg.

Yes, but the headline is worded a little ambiguously, and could imply that anyone who travels after April 1st will be subject to the restriction. I'm sure the ticket will say somewhere something like, "Thai Airways reserves the right to change the conditions of carriage at any time." Or something like that. As is usual here it's all a bit vague.

Bad decision they should have gone with most other airline weights which is an average 23kg they are losing billions for other reasons that fuel costs . No mention how much each KG over the allowance will cost each customer. Now after all that I have to admit I would never fly with them as had a few friends who had a bad experience my preference is Qatar or BA.

34 minutes ago, Penicillin said:

I think Ryan Air already proposed that idea as well as standing positions to cram more passengers in. 

And starting April 1 many airlines will be charging for oxygen in case of emergency. There will be a credit card insert next to oxygen for payment. Oh and don’t forget they do NOT accept American Express ( they charge the airlines more ) 

17 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Won’t be long and you will be paying per kg in body weight.

looks like us fat bastards better start that vegan diet.????

I tried a vegan,not very nice.

Empty planes will be cheaper on fuel than full planes..........

Maybe Thai should just keep the planes in the hangar, unless VIPs need a study trip. That would save even more..

Soon Thai will be making billions in annual profit.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

You're right, and many airlines now have staggered baggage allowances according to the ticket class bought. I've just booked a cheap return flight to the UK with Emirates and it's 20kg. For another 5,000 baht I could have upgraded to the next level which would give 25kg (and more air-miles and free seat selection) and full flex economy gives 30kg. But I don't need it.

This is actually an understandable business model and it appears that Thai are just falling in line.

Airlines have increasingly realised that there is a section of the long-haul market which will book flights according to the priority of the lowest figure quoted. Major airlines have therefore further segmented their economy class offering such that those on the lowest economy class ticket have reduced add-ons such as extra luggage load and being able to reserve seats in advance of check-in. There may be some screaming and shouting in protest from the usual quarters but the same guys will still be scanning their next flight based on lowest price. Eventually they will also be stopped (or charged) loading up on the onboard luggage allowance. 

Archived