THAI: Economy class passengers can only load 20 kg bag from April 1st

webfact

Of course the THAI (and Thai) bashers will lamp onto this new baggage rule with relish regardless of the fact that a whole lot of other international airlines, state flagship and otherwise, have been limiting basic coach fare free baggage allowance to 20 kg for many, many years already. They are mostly all still losing money too.

Queue the long-overdue post from the 'Singapore Airlines and Changi is much better' sycophants.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Won’t be long and you will be paying per kg in body weight.

looks like us fat bastards better start that vegan diet.????

Hate to break this to you but sugar is vegan, so are potatoes, bread, beer and all those carbs that make you fat.

17 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Possibly the reporting isn’t clear and it’s two free bags each less than 20kg (Emirates is 2 at 23kg each) which wouldn’t be so out of line.

So what you are saying is that if i have two bags each 20 kg then i able to take 40 kgs on into luggage underneath. That does not sound correct. So now i can take a couple of kg of cheese, bottles of ouzo, presents for the extended family and on the return, i can have 20 kg of undies and another kg of som-tum ingredients?

That would influence the wife who she books with, plus the 10% discount because she still has a Thai passport. I will have to pass on the good news .

Thai International, and Thai Smile domestic,  Thai Smile budget airline has the monopoly from domestic airports direct to BKK for international flight connections, at double the price.  Thai International have priced themselves out of the market, pity they do not have a CEO like Fernandez of Air Asia.   Near all if not all budget airlines are forced to fly into Don Muang then passengers to transfer to BKK.   Seemingly rigged in favour of Thai International.  PLEASE  lets have a direct flight to the UK from Don Muang Air Asia. at favourable rates and send the greedy Thai Airline with shocking management to the grave.

Gone are the days when I used Thai from London 30 plus years ago it was one of the best until they got greedy and thought that upping prices would bring in more money.  They couldn't run a raffle.

And that should weight by your BMI and luggage together

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Just arrived on TG911 from London today. Thai had downsized from the a380 to b777. I thought the plane would be packed but is was only half full! I and many others in economy had 3 seats each. Pure bliss. 

It's a shame Thai Airways are so poorly managed, too many types of aircraft and inefficient policies. I'm happy to pay Thai Airways prices if it means getting 3 seats for the price of one seat! (this happens often as I do BKK/LHR at least 4 times yearly).

Absolutely agree - TG has always been poorly managed. I am CX gold and I find CX has more perks than TG. TG makes it so difficult to get mileage and also their members do not get good perks... sad for me actually - I am now based in Thailand and have no choice but to use them.

Thai should turn budget , this way at least can justify it.

Being full service and full price airline and being at least 20% less baggage allowance will not go down well with passengers 

on the positive note, at least it’s in line with all the rest silly decisions this government has made lately 

15 minutes ago, sgoodes said:

20 kilos is still a decent weight. And that's per person so personally I don't think it's that big an issue unless of course you are going away for an extended period then you can buy excess baggage. I work in the offshore industry and we're limited to 10kg for our chopper flights and even that's a decent weight.

With increasing fuel costs and declining tourism due to financial volatility I guess we just have to roll with it. I'll still fly Thai as the budget airlines will be even tighter.

I reckon I'd struggle to make up 20 kgs.

Would make sense only according to Thailand government tourism is booming with 30 or million and going up????

18 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Possibly the reporting isn’t clear and it’s two free bags each less than 20kg (Emirates is 2 at 23kg each) which wouldn’t be so out of line.

Depends on the fare type with emirates, on some tickets you are only allowed a single 23kg checked bag.

19 hours ago, CGW said:

That should help - people to choose another airline ????

Should help with cutting fuel costs as they will have less passengers on-board ????

Airlines that allow 30kg and are not a government cartel will be happy with this latest idiocy! ????

I used to use Jet Airways (India) , especially when moving here as got 40 kgs free!!????????

Not such a silly idea IMHO. Give everyone say 25kg of baggage and price tickets according to bodyweight.  

26 minutes ago, sgoodes said:

20 kilos is still a decent weight. And that's per person so personally I don't think it's that big an issue unless of course you are going away for an extended period then you can buy excess baggage. I work in the offshore industry and we're limited to 10kg for our chopper flights and even that's a decent weight.

With increasing fuel costs and declining tourism due to financial volatility I guess we just have to roll with it. I'll still fly Thai as the budget airlines will be even tighter.

I reckon I'd struggle to make up 20 kgs.

I worked in the offshore industry and sometimes they only allowed us 5kgs on the Helicopters. When you are carrying a 4 kg laptop that basically gives you room to pack one pair of underpants and a toothbrush!!.  Having said that flying on seaman's tickets meant we had a 40kg baggage allowance in the hold, which would turn up two days later by supply boat ????

38 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

Hate to break this to you but sugar is vegan, so are potatoes, bread, beer and all those carbs that make you fat.

I stick rigorously to my vegan diet, it's just sensible, right?

Chang can.jpg

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've never understood why folks need to carry so much luggage anyway.

20kg has always been more than enough for me.

Ah, but course, then there's the women!

I've just spent 19 days away and my luggage weighed 15 kilos. AND I had a change of clothes for every day, plus a couple of spares. I do wonder why some people need so much more than that.

17 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Surely it should be for those who book after April 1st, as those who have already booked in good faith for travel after that date will have been expecting 30kg. That’s grossly unfair (not that THAI would give a s***). 

I have checked with Thai and they confirmed the change is for tickets purchased after 1st April.  After that date we will be flying with Malaysia from Perth

I just returned from Australia flying Thai and the return trip was very ordinary, on the way to Australia no Alcohol was served only if you asked , i ordered a Vegetarian Meal 8 weeks before i flew with Thai and that was not on the flight and the cabin crew were arrogant. 

My Company just flew me to Singapore with Thai and also the cabin crew were not friendly and the food was very ordinary, but i did get my Vegetarian meal.

I will remain a member of the Royal Silk to accumulate my points and fly with Singapore Airlines in future , Now thats an airline who likes to keep its customers and Never Ever fly Thai Airways again!

The mass hysteria begins. All based on incorrect information.And of course ignorance takes hold. People who do not fly very often weigh in with their  unfounded claims.  STOP.    YOU ARE WRONG.

The change in weight limits reflects the current market and still remains MORE GENEROUS  than TG low cost competitors.

Only the discounted fares are impacted. the deep discount basic fares like group discounts and advance excursion rate.  More specifically;

1) fare class  L/ V/ W: for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on / after 01 APR 19
2) fare class G:  for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on/ after 01 JUL 19

PAX who pay more will still have their best of industry complimentary baggage allowance.

19 hours ago, CGW said:

That should help - people to choose another airline ????

Should help with cutting fuel costs as they will have less passengers on-board ???? 

Airlines that allow 30kg and are not a government cartel will be happy with this latest idiocy! ????

Really? Which airlines on the Asian routes provide 30kg to discounted economy class tickets? name one full service airline. Name one LCC. 

19 hours ago, champers said:

They will lose more customers.

Oh, and you know this because? Seriously, do you think the airline  is making money on the ultra cheap tickets where  the pax  maximize their  baggage allowance?  If TG can get rid of some bottom feeders, good for the airline.

19 hours ago, z42 said:

What calibre of idiot would go out of their way to make a policy that right off the bat makes their company's product both inferior and less competitive than the competition.... 

smh ????

The calibre of idiot who would make an unsubstantiated claim with no knowledge of  current baggage allowances, airfares and services provided. How does TG's adjustment of the baggage allowance for a class of airfares which is causing  financial loss to the airline  bad? How exactly does  TG's baggage allowance make it uncompetitive and inferior when it still provides  one of the most generous baggage allowances in Asia Pacific?

Na,e the airlines who provide the   same fare classes which exceed the TG baggage allowance on the TG routes.  Compare baggage allowance and additional costs to Air Asia/ Thai Lion / NOK and it is  obvious that TG is the most generous. 

This bashing of Thai Airways is infuriating as it comes from the infrequent flyers who are clueless as to the characteristics of airlines and airfares. The airlines do not make a profit on the deep discount airfares. This is why they  added surcharges for baggage.  If people don't like TG, pick another airline.  

With Thai immigration clamping down, BJ hunting for Farang, air quality tanking, road kill at one of the highest, living cost increasing, and nowThai Airways setting new weight limits, should really make Thailand an excellent choice to live here.  Lets not forget ALL the sinsot we pay out to support our Thai honey and her boyfriends yaba.chang vices and family...ALL this to feel loved/wanted by a HOT young girl....Yep, got to love it here.   Ah, the price of stupidity (happiness).  

Archived